CSR broke matchmacking and RUINED THIS GAME

CSR ruined this game for me.

So like most, I was very excited to start getting back into Halo 4 now that the CSR has been implemented. So last night, myself and a friend started playing again.

My experience was horrible. Mainly due to was seems like a completely random matchmaking system.

I thought each players CSR was suppose help match them against players with similar CSR’s for that playlist?

Playing Team Double or Team Slayer (myself and my friend started at LV1) - we got owned. Badly. Now don’t just write me off at this point. Going back and viewing our match history - every team we played against had levels that were almost 20 abreast of us…

I’m sorry but if a bunch of LV1s are getting thrown into matches were they don’t even come close to the LVs of their competitors: THATS A BROKEN SYSTEM.

I have done nothing but praise 343 and this game, but what they have done here is ruin the game. I’m selling it. Great job 343 - in one fell swoop you ruined my favorite game. What really bothers me beyond all this is, everywhere I read about all this - its just 343 saying how proud of what they did with CSR… Have they even played the game?

WOW.

as far as i am aware, the CSR system is just a number, on waypoint, to mimic the skill rankings from halo 3.
as far as i know they dont actually have any ingame effect
kind of pointless and overhyped

> as far as i am aware, the CSR system is just a number, on waypoint, to mimic the skill rankings from halo 3.
> as far as i know they dont actually have any ingame effect
> kind of pointless and overhyped

Indeed CSR won’t unlock anything or affect you.

I mean, I’m open to be corrected here - but I’ve never had this problem with the game.

Also, I read a long post from 343 describing CSR and how it was designed to match people up appropriately… looking for that or something similar now.

TrueSkill in all playlists was reset when they introduced CSR.

Theoretically, matchmaking should become more fair as you continue to play. Give it a little time and see if you have the same issues.

That was my first thought - we played exactly 25 games last night and … it got worse.

LOL. It was horrible. Granted, mentally we were really beaten up, but WTF. It felt completely broken to me.

And just so no one think we are just complete garbage. My friend and I were 48 and 49 respectively in Halo 3 - with my friend achieving LV 50 in Halo 2. So no real lack of skill - lack of some practice but its not like we took a year off - we were playing very regularly just up until Jan.

> I thought each players CSR was suppose help match them against players with similar CSR’s for that playlist?

No.

TrueSkill is doing that, and has been doing that since the game launched and well before that.

CSR in team based modes is closely linked to your TrueSkill though.

> we played exactly 25 games last night and

What time?

the population isn’t large enough to support CSR, although 343 does have the right idea.

Edited by Moderator - Please do not make nonconstructive posts.

*Original post, click at your own discretion.

CSR is just a number on Waypoint now. A lame, handicapped substitute that has no bearing on the actual game.

It’s sad, but that’s just the way it is now.

Haha, that’s funny, CSR was always in the game, you can just view it now on waypoint.

The problem I have with CSR is that it seems to have encouraged people to quit with a minute left if they’re not winning the game. I know that CSR punishes quitters as being the lowest scorer on the team but I’ve had players quitting a bunch when the game is almost over. Anyone else notice this more since CSR was released?

Did you spread the 25 games around a number of playlists or did you stick to one or two?

Also, I agree with the above comments that population is king. If the system doesn’t find a ‘close’ match within a certain amount of time then it’s everyone into the pool.

> > I thought each players CSR was suppose help match them against players with similar CSR’s for that playlist?
>
> No.
>
> TrueSkill is doing that, and has been doing that since the game launched and well before that.
>
> CSR in team based modes is closely linked to your TrueSkill though.
>
>
>
> > we played exactly 25 games last night and
>
> What time?

CSR close link to TrueSkill does allow me to say we were consistently matched against players far beyond us.

Our time of play was between 10pm and 3am est.

The low populations causes these problems. There just isn’t enough players with a large variety of skill levels to match players evenly. The lower the population in a playlist the worse it will be.

> Did you spread the 25 games around a number of playlists or did you stick to one or two?
>
> Also, I agree with the above comments that population is king. If the system doesn’t find a ‘close’ match within a certain amount of time then it’s everyone into the pool.

We originally focused on Double Team - then left to Team Slayer - and finished miserably in Big Team.

We played… I mean to say punished ourselves for about 10 games each playlist (give or take alittle).

OP,

CSR was never intended to be used to match other players up with each other. CSR ranks you individually, that’s it.

I’m going to assume you thought it was used to match people up because you believed some false rumor on the internet somewhere.

If the population is low in a playlist, CSR will not be able to work at its best due to a limited amount of people. That is its only downside to the system.

Since you are talking about doubles, it would be common since it does have a small pool compared to others.

> OP,
>
> CSR was never intended to be used to match other players up with each other. CSR ranks you individually, that’s it.
>
> I’m going to assume you thought it was used to match people up because you believed some false rumor on the internet somewhere.

My understanding is that 343 ultimate goal was for CSR to be the defacto matching system - but they have yet to fully execute that.

It is, to my understanding, very closely matched to the Trueskill system which is responsible for matching players of close skill. So I am using it as a ruff guide.

Either way - the reset or otherwise - has changed things.

> If the population is low in a playlist, CSR will not be able to work at its best due to a limited amount of people. That is its only downside to the system.
>
> Since you are talking about doubles, it would be common since it does have a small pool compared to others.

I thought it may have just been doubles, but across the board, all playlists just felt broken (as far as player matching was concerned).

> > OP,
> >
> > CSR was never intended to be used to match other players up with each other. CSR ranks you individually, that’s it.
> >
> > I’m going to assume you thought it was used to match people up because you believed some false rumor on the internet somewhere.
>
> My understanding is that 343 ultimate goal was for CSR to be the defacto matching system - but they have yet to fully execute that.
>
> It is, to my understanding, very closely matched to the Trueskill system which is responsible for matching players of close skill. So I am using it as a ruff guide.
>
> Either way - the reset or otherwise - has changed things.

Your understanding is wrong because they never said nor did they ever imply it would be a factor in how players were matched up.

TrueSkill was based more around win/loss. CSR is not as it only ranks you individually. CSR has nothing to do with win/loss.

CSR is a Waypoint thing only.