Crouching

How should crouching be done in H4? I personally hate having to hold down the analog stick whenever I decide to crouch for an extended time, so I was thinking that you would automatically stay crouched after 3-5 sec. of holding down the button.

You can already adjust these type of settings in both Halo 3 and Halo:reach. Personally i think it is better to hold down the analog to crouch, because of faster movements.

you can already change your crouch settings. i believe it’s called “toggle to crouch” or something to that effect.

Yup, crouch behavior under controller settings in the start menu. Just set to toggle crouch, then press it once and you’ll stay crouched till you press it again or jump or sprint etc.

Oh, I didn’t know that. Thanks for the info guys.

> How should crouching be done in H4? I personally hate having to hold down the analog stick whenever I decide to crouch for an extended time, so I was thinking that you would automatically stay crouched after 3-5 sec. of holding down the button.

yea, you can use toggle crouch like they said. but this ‘hold crouch for 5 seconds to have extended crouch’ is an excellent idea. this way you can have toggle crouch without having it jack up your ability to jump + crouch to gain a bit of extra jump height.

> How should crouching be done in H4? I personally hate having to hold down the analog stick whenever I decide to crouch for an extended time, so I was thinking that you would automatically stay crouched after 3-5 sec. of holding down the button.

a “delayed toggle crouch” feature would be nice, I haven’t seen that before and I could see the implications of it being very useful if it went into effect after half a second. I just hope Halo 4 has custom button layout. Bungie failed to put custom button layout time and time again.

both those things aside, can we possibly see “Prone” as an option in Halo 4? I would love to have that for sniping and even crawling through narrow passages, etc. If reticle bloom exists, in 4, going prone could virtually reduce bloom to zero, which could make it a useful way to shoot farther targets while staying hidden.

> > How should crouching be done in H4? I personally hate having to hold down the analog stick whenever I decide to crouch for an extended time, so I was thinking that you would automatically stay crouched after 3-5 sec. of holding down the button.
>
> a “delayed toggle crouch” feature would be nice, I haven’t seen that before and I could see the implications of it being very useful if it went into effect after half a second. I just hope Halo 4 has custom button layout. Bungie failed to put custom button layout time and time again.
>
> both those things aside, can we possibly see “Prone” as an option in Halo 4? I would love to have that for sniping and even crawling through narrow passages, etc. If reticle bloom exists, in 4, going prone could virtually reduce bloom to zero, which could make it a useful way to shoot farther targets while staying hidden.

I also had that in mind, but I didn’t know if I was going to get flamed for that since that is in CoD and Battlefield.

There shouldn’t be an option to crouch at all in my opinion, there definitely needs to be NO incentive for crouching which is just another terrible Reach addition that slows down gameplay.

> There shouldn’t be an option to crouch at all in my opinion, there definitely needs to be NO incentive for crouching which is just another terrible Reach addition that slows down gameplay.

Crouching is not new to Halo: Reach. Unless you’re saying that just the incentive (bloom reduction) is a Reach addition, which is true.

Either way, removing crouching from the game is… a bit excessive.

Standing and crouching is enough. One of the reasons I like Halo is that you are a bright Blue or Red Spartan, not a face painted, camouflaged, ghillie suit wearing, prone laying thing that looks like part of the map.

> Standing and crouching is enough. One of the reasons I like Halo is that you are a bright Blue or Red Spartan, not a face painted, camouflaged, ghillie suit wearing, prone laying thing that looks like part of the map.

laying on your belly like a coward trying to max your proneshots in the yucky pursuit of xp. bring back skill ranks keep crouching but no lying down on the job.

going prone in halo would be to reduce your hit box and reduce the recoil of your gun, as would crouching, just not as much. there is nothing wrong with having the ability to go prone, it puts the user at a disatvantage to anyone else in their vicinity and since it’s still a run and gun fps, they will get vissitors if they try camping while prone. you’d have a slight delay in getting up of course. it would be interesting if you could roll onto you back and shoot someone sneaking up from behind, but it’d take even longer to get up from laying on your back, and leave you vulnrable.

something like that wouldn’t break the game, it’d hardly make it that different, it’d just be an incentive to stop for a second and line up a shot if you saw an oppertunity. it’d more likely be used in campaign and firefight, I don’t see it being all that helpfull in matchmaking, since you’d be putting yourself at a disadvantage on a small map where everyone is running around if you decided to go prone for even 5 seconds, you could easily be killed by anyone nearby unless you had some sort of mine or proximity trap they had to go through, or someone covering your back so you react in time.

sheesh, it’s just additional options that allow you to feel more immersed in the game. less options on how you can interact with your surroundings, mean less immersive gameplay. If you want Halo to feel like Wolfenstien 3D with good graphics and new guns, then get rid of crouch. if you want it to feel like you are in the game, than add in a plethra of easy to use mechanics that allow you to really interact with your surroundings.

You can choose to toggle crouch in the options menu. It’s what I use, because I don’t like holding it in either.

> can we possibly see “Prone” as an option in Halo 4?

Yes! Because we want Halo to jump into the “Things every generic FPS must have because I want them in all my games” bandwagon!

I don’t use toggle and its funny watching people go whuut? Why he no stand upz aftr I sh0t himz. hax

> > can we possibly see “Prone” as an option in Halo 4?
>
> Yes! Because we want Halo to jump into the “Things every generic FPS must have because I want them in all my games” bandwagon!
>
>
> I don’t use toggle and its funny watching people go whuut? Why he no stand upz aftr I sh0t himz. hax

you ever consider asking why it’s done in many other FPS games? Halo hasn’t done it yet, and not every popular FPS game does it, but if it’s incorperated into the game mechanics for a good reason, and not just because other games do it, than it’s not jumping on a band wagon… it’s something called “good game design” and makes your games more immersive.

of course if you don’t want a new innovative and immersive halo game, you can always ask 343i to do what bungie did and reskin the story line and mechanics of halo CE and call it halo 4 instead. it’d be just like halo 3 was to halo 2, and vice versa, oh joy. ya see, the big thing here, is that the main core gameplay stays the same, and can you guess what that consists of? run and gun. If going prone could somehow change the game from “run and gun” to “camp and wait”, then I’d see your concern, but that couldn’t happen just by simply enableing the ability to go prone, so I don’t see the problem here.

and even if every fps does it, wouldn’t that tell you something? like maybe it’s a working game mechanic? can you imagine what it was like when an FPS first tried to introduce “radar”? I’m sure people were all freakin out saying “no, it takes away from the experience! it’s different it sucks now! we want to be unsure of our surroundings!” but guess what? every modern FPS does it now, unless it’s simulating an experience where you wouldn’t have radar.

wanna know why that is? it makes the game funner to play, cause your not randomly wandering in hopes of turning a corner and spamming the trigger finger. Prone was likewise, introduced. someone likely thought, “hey, this could allow us to introduce new tactics” and I bet it worked, cause quite a few games have it now.

most money in the gaming industry is now made by microtransactions. all your Halo DLC is microtransactions, free to play online games use microtransactions to make their money now. it’s convenient for people cause it’s cheaper short term for the consumer, and gives the developer more money in the long run. now everyone is doin it, CAUSE IT WORKS.

if all you want from a new halo, is reskined gameplay with better graphics, than your not contributing anything new to the table. game developement is about finding ways to make games more immersive, more accessable, and ultimately more inovative. the kind of attitude some people seem to be sharing, is showing me they don’t want a better game, they want more of the same game. that’s not a good sequel, it will follow the curse of sequels and the rule of 3, and will not meet your expectations, and you will call it trash anyway. despite all this, you will likely play it anyway.

it will be a repeat of everything that has ever been given direct sequels with little new gameplay, the fans will bash it for being the same game, despite it being everything they asked for, because the sad truth is that the fans don’t really know what they want. loyal fans will buy it, despite game design, generic consumer -Yoink!- fans will buy because it’s a sequel and then bash it for not meeting expectations, and good fans will critique it’s pro’s and cons in design and gameplay mechanics.

I don’t want to see this trend anymore, and 343i is listening to us, so we can break this awful trend of generic console games. I’d like a game I will love, and a story I will love, that will be immersive, and something impressive. If you ask for the bare minimum, you will likely get it, and asking for a rehash of early halo’s, is asking for a rehash of old school arcade shooter, which will bring nothing new and exciting to the table.

hopefully 343i has a solid understanding of what their trying to achieve, and what kinds of things are going to actually enhance gameplayability, rather than just follow in bungies footsteps of rehashing a good idea until it starts to wither and lose it’s glimmer.

TLDR-do you want a reskined halo game, or a new one that does something to bring it back into the spotlight? if you keep opposing new ideas, 343i is just gonna end up becoming like bungie, reskining the same game and selling it with shiney graphics and colors.

> Yes! Because we want Halo to jump into the “Things every generic FPS must have because I want them in all my games” bandwagon!
>
>
> I don’t use toggle and its funny watching people go whuut? Why he no stand upz aftr I sh0t himz. hax

It already joined that camp with the turd known as Halo Reach.