Credit Resets

Bungie unleashed a pretty widespread credit reset and ban yesterday. While it is hard to feel sorry for people caught in this round of the banhammer, I can’t help but wonder what the point of it is. Are credit boosters ruining Halo Reach? Not at all, so why do what Bungie did and further diminish the population? The poorly conceived credit system is the problem, not the people trying to reach Inheritor.
<br
How exactly do boosters ruin Reach? Due to previous rounds of the banhammer, any afk booster have moved out of matchmaking and into firefight. So they are not affecting the core element of Halo multiplayer. Remember all the nuke boosting in MW2? That is an example of boosting that ruins the experience for everybody else in the match. In firefight, afk just means more kills and more credits for those playing.

If people are going to cry about “earning” credits, then what abut all the full party boosters? They are not playing the game the way it was intended, but full party boosting is allowed.

How about all the people who play Reach, have found a way to earn credits easy, but don’t visit the Bungie forums to know that their method is “illegal”? Only a small portion of Halo players actually visit bungie.net.

I don’t see the point of doing broad resets of people who are by and large core members of the Halo community, but may have afk here and there. I’d rather Bungie fix their flawed credit system and give large incentive for winning in competitive gameplay, while minimizing credits from social and ff games.

Look at it this way. Bungie probably did this at the time they did because Halo: Reach is going to live forever. If there is a Title Update going to be unleashed soon, then they wanted to make sure the community was purged of these cheaters and wanted to make sure that every single higher rank that you will run into will be a player who actually deserves his ranking and can display his great amount of time that he has invested into the game.
The AFKers with high ranks made the players who were legit seem almost invisible. Now for the future of Halo: Reach ranking will now be able to represent people who actually played the game and we can now commend them for it instead of wondering “Oh hes a high rank? probably AFKed a bunch.” That wont happen anymore.

As a general rule, Inheritors and other highly ranked players all boosted to get there. This swing of the banhammer only took out some of the exploiters.

> How exactly do boosters ruin Reach? Due to previous rounds of the banhammer, any afk booster have moved out of matchmaking and into firefight. So they are not affecting the core element of Halo multiplayer. Remember all the nuke boosting in MW2? That is an example of boosting that ruins the experience for everybody else in the match. In firefight, afk just means more kills and more credits for those playing.
>
> If people are going to cry about “earning” credits, then what abut all the full party boosters? They are not playing the game the way it was intended, but full party boosting is allowed.

Just to clarify, boosters have always been in Firefight, because it has always offered the most Cr for your time. You say they are not effecting the “core element” of Halo multiplayer, but Firefight is actually a very popular playlist. Just because it’s not team slayer or big team doesn’t make the abuse any less important than it would be in any other playlist offering.

AFK does ruin the Firefight experience for the team; It slows the game down, prevents players from completing the waves, and in general harms the gameplay experience by removing the teamwork aspect.

Also, Full Party Boosting never has been and still isn’t allowed. You are allowed to have a full party, but every member must be playing. AFKing is not okay, period. That is Bungie’s stance and honestly I commend them for it.

if i made a game, i would not want the first person to achieve the highest rank by afk’ing in my games playlists. thats probably why they reset people. if you are afk’ing in any playlist, i have no sympathy for your stats getting reset.

> > How exactly do boosters ruin Reach? Due to previous rounds of the banhammer, any afk booster have moved out of matchmaking and into firefight. So they are not affecting the core element of Halo multiplayer. Remember all the nuke boosting in MW2? That is an example of boosting that ruins the experience for everybody else in the match. In firefight, afk just means more kills and more credits for those playing.
> >
> > If people are going to cry about “earning” credits, then what abut all the full party boosters? They are not playing the game the way it was intended, but full party boosting is allowed.
>
> Just to clarify, boosters have always been in Firefight, because it has always offered the most Cr for your time. You say they are not effecting the “core element” of Halo multiplayer, but Firefight is actually a very popular playlist. Just because it’s not team slayer or big team doesn’t make the abuse any less important than it would be in any other playlist offering.
>
> AFK does ruin the Firefight experience for the team; It slows the game down, prevents players from completing the waves, and in general harms the gameplay experience by removing the teamwork aspect.
>
> Also, Full Party Boosting never has been and still isn’t allowed. You are allowed to have a full party, but every member must be playing. AFKing is not okay, period. That is Bungie’s stance and honestly I commend them for it.

If ff didn’t offer as many credit, far fewer people would play it. Bungie created this monster with their poor credit system.

As for full party boosting, yes it is allowed. People do it with full parties, no guests, and they take turns gitting killing frenzies on each other. It falls within the guidelines. You can spot them in their matchmaking history where they will have as many as 300 kills in a game. It is exploiting the system but they are following the rules.

You got your credit reset, didn’t you?

> You got your credit reset, didn’t you?

Nope

username is my GT. Check for yourself.

Boosting/cheating will always be a problem, I think it would be very difficult to eliminate it completely. I must give kudos to Bungie for implementing a way to track these guys and give them what they deserve.

The ban puppy is hard at work.

> As for full party boosting, yes it is allowed. People do it with full parties, no guests, and they take turns gitting killing frenzies on each other. It falls within the guidelines. You can spot them in their matchmaking history where they will have as many as 300 kills in a game. It is exploiting the system but they are following the rules.

Sorry, let me rephrase myself; Having a full party is OK, boosting challenges in this way is fine, as long as all of the players are actively playing the game and not AFK. Using a full party to AFK based on the thought that “We’re not hurting/bothering anyone else” is NOT allowed. That’s what I meant.

also, i’d like to add that if your stats got reset, and you quit playing halo because of it… GOOD RIDDANCE. people quitting / not playing reach as much because of the mad mechanics is one thing, but quitting because you no longer have the aesthetic value on your character just makes you look like a moron.

Bungie released major credit bans to people who were idle or AFK in Firefight. They wanted to bring down the banhammer on the people who were manipulating the Cr system to rank up when you didn’t work for it(idling/AFKing).

What do you think about this? I feel happy that the people who were manipulating the Cr system in FF Arcade are finally receiving the punishment. But some people got banned even though you might not have AFK on purpose. The only thing I can tell you guys who got banned is to still enjoy Reach even if you don’t get points. You can still do Arena as that wasn’t reset.

I think there might have been alot of people who was banned so there might be a drop in population but the move that Microsoft(343i) made makes it easier for new people to ease right it in. So I can understand why Bungie did the credit reset. It was to remove the cheaters in the game so that new players won’t cheat also.

Please Discuss politely your thoughts.

I’m glad Bungie FINALLY enforced their rules.

Honestly the AFKers never bothered me that much. I would always find new and funny ways of getting them killed lol. While I do enjoy video games, I dont take them as seriously as others since they are only video games.

It was deserved. People cheated, Bungie caught them and punished accordingly. Maybe it’ll teach them not to do cheat again.

Whilst I agree with the ban on cheats, I am not convinced that the ban and reset was entirely accurate.

I was not reset, but my son (SupremeSargent7) who had got to a Commander G3 in 5 months play was completely reset, and as a result our console was banned from online credits (i.e. I can’t earn credits until 7 June).

Now we suffer from lag problems because we have a strict NAT connection (sorry but I run a hardware firewall for network protection). I spent 6 hours last week trying to reset port forwards and managed to get from a strict to moderate NAT status.

Point is in may MM sessions the console disconnects from Xbox live. Whilst we can continue to play the ff game, it is considered a DNF.

I’ve been through my son’s game history and have not found any evidence of AFK behaviour in ff.

Okay I may not be a great player, but we’ve played the game fairly, don’t have high ranks, and then get penalised for exhibiting a trait that looks like AFK behaviour. No warning, just a straight rank and credit reset. Extreme I think.

I quit playing Firefight because of the idlers. Last time I played was May 5th and I refuse to play again.

> I quit playing Firefight because of the idlers. Last time I played was May 5th and I refuse to play again.

You should really consider coming back. It’s not nearly as bad as it used to be, Bungie’s Banhammer adjustments have really seemed to do the trick for the most part.

I’m curious to see how 343i’s Banhammer stacks up in comparison. Is it going to be the same settings?

I played Reach when i AFK boosted as soon as I hit cap, now I lost my motivation because Bungie is messed up by resetting my rank which I took 6-7 months to get. I AFK boosted, for 6-7 months. I didn’t do that for no reason. I deserved a ban of course, but I think no one deserves a reset. I didn’t think I’d get reset, because I didn’t challenge reset once, and Bungie said that they were done with resets, or so I heard. Bungie doesn’t even read their private messages, I tried talking to Jeremiah and Urk, but of course I get ignored. So basically by resetting me, all that time spent just goes to waste. People who full party boosted to their rank FOLLOWED Bungie’s rules and still got reset which is even MORE messed up since some of them I knew got their Inheritor on the day everyone got reset. Now 15,000+ players left the Reach population

Put yourself in my shoes, you left your Xbox on while doing college work, for 6-7 months, to rank up. You are a Reclaimer, you needed exactly a week to get that Inheritor. Then you get the reset stain.

I’m not even motivated to play Reach anymore, but I want my Rank and motivation to play back. I doubt I will since Jeremiah and Urk won’t even reply to me, only person that replies to me is Ghintoch, who told me to contact them.

I hope 343i can help me out here since I’ve seen some of them active in the community when the Defiant Maps were released.