Crawlers - The Peculiar Promethean Fodder Beast

The Crawler, a Forerunner created bestial construct unlike anything else deployed by this advanced race.
In Halo 4 when they were introduced they were a somewhat unique new enemy who sometimes couldn’t resist crawling all over walls and made for a fun (and at times bothersome) target. In Halo 5 however they lost this ability to climb walls and distinctly filled the roll of a fodder unit. The thing that makes them so peculiar though is they are completely unlike any other Forerunner enemy you’ve ever faced, as they don’t really fit the theme of the rest of its allies who are primarily floaty machines or humanoid and civilized. That said, I suppose they fit just fine within the theme of the Prometheans even though a bit odd as a Forerunner creation.

Anyways, I just wanted to gets everyones thoughts on this particular enemy as well as discussing ideas on them.
Like, what gameplay improvements would you like to see? Or would you like to see them replaced? Is there some little known lore about them and even theories you want to share?

Personally, they’ve been in two Halo games in a row now so I figure they might as well stay and so long as they bring their crawling feature back and/or other improvements I’ll be happy to blast them to smithereens once again. As far as their main weapon (Boltshot) is concerned, perhaps it could still track you but be slightly slower to give you more of a chance to dodge? As such, maybe they could be a little more aggressive and charge in more often to make them even more engaging? On a side note, if there were some stealth mechanics added into the game I think a lot of fun could be had with this enemy.

They need to let them climb walls again. Allowed them to attack from unique angles and made them different from usual fodder. Make alpha crawlers bigger as well to make them more intimidating and act like pact leaders, so wherever it goes the rest follow.

Also what happened to sniper crawlers. Sniper from walls and ceilings would make them a pain and the equivalent to jacket snipers since soldiers are boring af

Climbing Walls is a must. Otherwise, they don’t serve any unique niche in the sanbox that cannot be filled with other enemies.
The only problem with that is that they were a pain in the butt to headshot in Halo 4, as the game was very picky what it counted as the actual “head”.
So what I’ve always suggested was giving them multiple weak points, similarly to how knights have been changed from Halo 4 to H5G.
If you want you could go even one step further and giving them two heads (I’m thinking CatDog here), so you have multiple angles to headshot them from, they even could have two different weapons (one front weapon they use while attacking and a back weapon to use while retreating), increasing their damage potential but giving you a chance to “headshot” them from behind. I still remember how infuriating it was emptying dozens of clips into crawlers that would perpetually run away. Even grunts have their tank on the back as a semi-weak-point.

Crawlers to me are like Grunts, except when the Grunt is in a mech.

> 2533274810100046;1:
> Personally, they’ve been in two Halo games in a row now so I figure they might as well stay […]

this part made me think of the brutes. been there 4 games in a row if you count odst and reach and then disappeared^^ (no criticism on your post or something, just made me think about it).

on the topic of the crawlers. i don’t remember what they did in h5, but if they return, it would be nice, if they can crawl on walls again.

another idea: why not bring in more sentinels? or give crawlers (and other prometheans) the sentinel beam as a weapon. they all are forerunner constructs, why not share weapons?

They should crawl on walls like Halo 4. It made them a little more unique. In 5 they’re basically like four-legged Grunts. I’d really like to see them add traditional Sentinels into the Promethean forces, along with the occasional Enforcer and maybe some of the Halo Wars/HW2 variants to mix things up. The Prometheans really need more variety.

I have never liked fighting Prometheans at all. They really are tidious and annouing. I like that crawlers can’t climb walls any more. But at least those watchers actually fight back instead of just trying to fly away as soon as you shoot them. Soliders are especially annoying I still think they teleport to often.

I wouldnt mind if they could crawl on walls again.But my most important question is:
Do you need to walk crawlers daily?

> 2533274816788253;7:
> I have never liked fighting Prometheans at all. They really are tidious and annouing. I like that crawlers can’t climb walls any more. But at least those watchers actually fight back instead of just trying to fly away as soon as you shoot them. Soliders are especially annoying I still think they teleport to often.

Soldiers are annoying, but they’re nothing compared to H4’s teleporting Knights.

They were fun when first introduced in H4. I was like “woah, robot spider dog things!” Now…they’re just boring bullet fodder. Something to shoot at while Soldiers are warping all over the place. I like Banana InATux77’s idea of having an alpha Crawler commanding them similar to Elites. Maybe even have them replace Soldiers entirely.

I quite like Crawlers even though they seem like an odd invention of the Forerunners. But hey, I guess every race can have its quirks, right? Like the posts above have been saying, they need to be allowed to traverse walls and potentially snipe again. I like the dynamic they brought to Halo 4. Even that wave defense where Cortana activates those turrets was fairly enjoyable. You think you have one trapped and all of a sudden the remaining “herd” swarms you. They are easy enemies but still require thought and caution to finish off. By far my favorite Promethean enemy. I’m not a fan of Halo 4 freaking ex-machina Watchers at all especially since they’re paired with bullet sponge Knights.

> 2533274937580949;10:
> They were fun when first introduced in H4. I was like “woah, robot spider dog things!” Now…they’re just boring bullet fodder. Something to shoot at while Soldiers are warping all over the place. I like Banana InATux77’s idea of having an alpha Crawler commanding them similar to Elites. Maybe even have them replace Soldiers entirely.

I have a love hate relationship with soldiers, they could have been done so much better. Like firstly, remove that -Yoink!- from them and remove their ability to change the weapon they’re holding from a lightrifle into a suppressor and etc etc. Make them less of a bullet sponge but keep the armour loss thing they have because that’s nifty imo. Sniper soldiers should have sniper crawlers hiding near them and I mean hiding, if you don’t see them you’re screwed. Higher ranked soldiers need to act more intelligently, taking cover, issuing orders etc They need to be a different colour to stand out as a different rank more.

Knights need to be more prominent again. Mix the variants from 4 and 5 to make the fights with them different.

Watchers need variants as support, healers that well, heal. Aggressor variants that make prometheans more aggressive. Defender variants that use the hardlight shield. just makes watchers more noticeable since they’re just there doing sod all

> 2533274857165616;2:
> They need to let them climb walls again. Allowed them to attack from unique angles and made them different from usual fodder. Make alpha crawlers bigger as well to make them more intimidating and act like pact leaders, so wherever it goes the rest follow.
>
> Also what happened to sniper crawlers. Sniper from walls and ceilings would make them a pain and the equivalent to jacket snipers since soldiers are boring af

Agreed! The wall climbing made for some interesting experiences and made you look everywhere to find out where you were being hit from lol. Giving them snipers again like you said could make them at times a big annoyance again which I’d like to see.
The Soldiers are definitely one of the most boring enemies out there and either need to be replaced or vastly improved/changed.

I really like your Alpha Crawler pack idea. It would further distinct it from the rest of the normal Crawlers and, if done right, make the Crawlers as a whole much more interesting in terms of tactics.

Lots of other interesting ideas and discussion going on in this thread as well!

I find them annoying just because they run in packs with the never miss boltshot. Ever since I got the VoW pack though, I just think of them as dogs as Yabda calls them. “Kill those Crawler dogs.”

> 2727626560040591;14:
> I find them annoying just because they run in packs with the never miss boltshot. Ever since I got the VoW pack though, I just think of them as dogs as Yabda calls them. “Kill those Crawler dogs.”

What I want to know is how does a grunt know what a dog is.

> 2533274810100046;13:
> > 2533274857165616;2:
> > They need to let them climb walls again. Allowed them to attack from unique angles and made them different from usual fodder. Make alpha crawlers bigger as well to make them more intimidating and act like pact leaders, so wherever it goes the rest follow.
> >
> > Also what happened to sniper crawlers. Sniper from walls and ceilings would make them a pain and the equivalent to jacket snipers since soldiers are boring af
>
> Agreed! The wall climbing made for some interesting experiences and made you look everywhere to find out where you were being hit from lol. Giving them snipers again like you said could make them at times a big annoyance again which I’d like to see.
> The Soldiers are definitely one of the most boring enemies out there and either need to be replaced or vastly improved/changed.
>
> I really like your Alpha Crawler pack idea. It would further distinct it from the rest of the normal Crawlers and, if done right, make the Crawlers as a whole much more interesting in terms of tactics.
>
> Lots of other interesting ideas and discussion going on in this thread as well!

I kinda want enemis to pick up weapons and I’m imagining alpha crawlers spitting out their current weapon and then consuming a new better one. Just imagining in H6 when you see the crawlers again if you wait you can watch an alpha spit out its suppressor and then ‘eat’ a needle. Changing it’s appearance slightly and giving it a better weapon

> 2533274857165616;16:
> > 2533274810100046;13:
> > > 2533274857165616;2:
> > >
>
> I kinda want enemis to pick up weapons and I’m imagining alpha crawlers spitting out their current weapon and then consuming a new better one. Just imagining in H6 when you see the crawlers again if you wait you can watch an alpha spit out its suppressor and then ‘eat’ a needle. Changing it’s appearance slightly and giving it a better weapon

I really like the idea! Although I don’t know how I feel about any of the Crawlers being able to do that but I definitely agree there should be an enemy in Halo 6 who can do that.

> 2533274894985914;15:
> > 2727626560040591;14:
> > I find them annoying just because they run in packs with the never miss boltshot. Ever since I got the VoW pack though, I just think of them as dogs as Yabda calls them. “Kill those Crawler dogs.”
>
> What I want to know is how does a grunt know what a dog is.

Right?!?! I guess they must have learned about them as they were learning the Human language lol

> 2533274894985914;15:
> > 2727626560040591;14:
> > I find them annoying just because they run in packs with the never miss boltshot. Ever since I got the VoW pack though, I just think of them as dogs as Yabda calls them. “Kill those Crawler dogs.”
>
> What I want to know is how does a grunt know what a dog is.

Right?!?!? I guess they must have found out about them as they were learning the Human language lol

> 2533274810100046;19:
> > 2533274894985914;15:
> > > 2727626560040591;14:
> > > I find them annoying just because they run in packs with the never miss boltshot. Ever since I got the VoW pack though, I just think of them as dogs as Yabda calls them. “Kill those Crawler dogs.”
> >
> > What I want to know is how does a grunt know what a dog is.
>
> Right?!?!? I guess they must have found out about them as they were learning the Human language lol

Please don’t post multiple times in a row. You can edit your posts to add information and respond to more than one person in a single post.