Covenant Speaking English again

While playing Halo 5, I loved the fact that all the covenant spoke English (or whatever language you may have it set to). It felt as though 343 really was looking back to the roots of older halo games to help them develop the enemy this time around. Hearing the grunts scream “I regret everything” and so on really made me feel as though the charm found in the older halos was coming back. It even made me chuckle a few times, which the past halos have failed to do while playing though them. Personally I hope this will stay permanent in future titles.

I didn’t mind the alien talk too much in reach or halo 4, but I believe that it made halo feel too serious, and took the charm and slight humorous moments away from the gameplay.

What do you guys think? Keep the alien talk or stay with the understandable talk?

I agree completely. That’s one of the few things I can praise 343 on with Halo 5.

I have been requesting English speaking enemies since after Halo 3. I can not even express the happiness I felt when I found out they speak English again AND the humor is back. Soooooooo happy when I found out about this. :smiley: Looking forward to picking up H5 on Thursday.

Speaking covenant is awesome because of hilarious grunts and I like how jackals sort of speak English now in H5.

In Reach, the non-English speaking aliens sounded very alien & scary which is also really cool

I don’t know which I like better But I chose speaking covenant because it kind of had to be that way if there are covenant characters like the Arbiter.

> 2811398874529013;2:
> I agree completely. That’s one of the few things I can praise 343 on with Halo 5.

It’s like 343 found a balance between seriousness and charm with that game. Definitely a positive note for the game

> 2787272447958470;3:
> I have been requesting English speaking enemies since after Halo 3. I can not even express the happiness I felt when I found out they speak English again AND the humor is back. Soooooooo happy when I found out about this. :smiley: Looking forward to picking up H5 on Thursday.

I know you’ll enjoy it. I was hesitant about picking it up myself because of the MCC launch and the beta didn’t really feel right to me. But once I played it I was surely mistaken with all my hesitation. Its definitely a step up from halo reach and halo 4 in terms of gameplay and construction

It made sense to ditch the English in Reach because, being a prequel, it’s logical that the armor’s translation software could decipher what was being said. H4 had no logical story-based reason to avoid having the covenant be understandable in English.

> 2533274866682248;4:
> Speaking covenant is awesome because of hilarious grunts and I like how jackals sort of speak English now in H5.
>
> In Reach, the non-English speaking aliens sounded very alien & scary which is also really cool
>
> I don’t know which I like better But I chose speaking covenant because it kind of had to be that way if there are covenant characters like the Arbiter.

I agree about the covenant being scary in reach by not speaking English. Its why I didn’t mind it so much in that game since reach was a depressing story. But halo 4 could’ve used the English speaking covenant over the alien speaking version, which would have made the story more enjoyable in certain aspects (which for the record I thoroughly enjoyed halo 4’s campaign)

If I remember correctly, in the first book(s) the Spartans couldn’t understand the Covenant speech due to a lack of experience against them. Later on their armor received a built in audio translator, and they were able to understand what the Covenant were saying. It makes sense to me that we’re able to hear their speech as English due to this in-universe explanation.

> 2811398874529013;7:
> It made sense to ditch the English in Reach because, being a prequel, it’s logical that the armor’s translation software could decipher what was being said. H4 had no logical story-based reason to avoid having the covenant be understandable in English.

Yea that’s my thoughts exactly. Reach was more forgiving in its reason than halo 4. That’s why I didn’t mind it too much in reach since it felt natural in that scenario

Though it is “interesting” to hear them speak their own language, when I am in combat I don’t want to have to look at the sub titles to understand what they are saying.

> 2533274852660538;6:
> > 2787272447958470;3:
> > I have been requesting English speaking enemies since after Halo 3. I can not even express the happiness I felt when I found out they speak English again AND the humor is back. Soooooooo happy when I found out about this. :smiley: Looking forward to picking up H5 on Thursday.
>
>
> I know you’ll enjoy it. I was hesitant about picking it up myself because of the MCC launch and the beta didn’t really feel right to me. But once I played it I was surely mistaken with all my hesitation. Its definitely a step up from halo reach and halo 4 in terms of gameplay and construction

That is excellent news. Yes I was skeptical after TMCC but judging by the forums and the thread I made earlier about mp playable over the first weekend, it seems the feedback is indeed overall very positive. Cant wait to check it out.

I love it, I can’t tell you how much I love it.

> 2787272447958470;12:
> > 2533274852660538;6:
> > > 2787272447958470;3:
> > > I have been requesting English speaking enemies since after Halo 3. I can not even express the happiness I felt when I found out they speak English again AND the humor is back. Soooooooo happy when I found out about this. :smiley: Looking forward to picking up H5 on Thursday.
> >
> >
> > I know you’ll enjoy it. I was hesitant about picking it up myself because of the MCC launch and the beta didn’t really feel right to me. But once I played it I was surely mistaken with all my hesitation. Its definitely a step up from halo reach and halo 4 in terms of gameplay and construction
>
>
> That is excellent news. Yes I was skeptical after TMCC but judging by the forums and the thread I made earlier about mp playable over the first weekend, it seems the feedback is indeed overall very positive. Cant wait to check it out.

Personally I think its one of the best multi players of any halo to date. I still love halo 3’s multiplayer the best but halo 5’s is definitely up there

They don’t speak English but instead talk Human. At least that is what one grunt said in the campaign.

The grunts are perfect.

I love hearing the enemy communication on the battlefield. It’s just like the old days.

> 2533274793250570;16:
> The grunts are perfect.
>
> I love hearing the enemy communication on the battlefield. It’s just like the old days.

Especially when they know they’re about to die when they get stuck. Absolute gold with what they say half the time.

“Not again…” plasma nade detonates

I liked it with the exception of the Jackals. That just sounds weird as hell.

> 2533274852660538;10:
> > 2811398874529013;7:
> > It made sense to ditch the English in Reach because, being a prequel, it’s logical that the armor’s translation software could decipher what was being said. H4 had no logical story-based reason to avoid having the covenant be understandable in English.
>
>
> Yea that’s my thoughts exactly. Reach was more forgiving in its reason than halo 4. That’s why I didn’t mind it too much in reach since it felt natural in that scenario

It didn’t really make sense at all in Reach considering that the covenant could speak English in CE, a few days after Reach. 4 was the one that had a reason, because Jul M’Dama forbade his covenant to speak english.