Covenant is to weak because UNCS is OP

I feel like the covenant will never feel the same now we can effectively combat them. In the bungie halo’s (yes i do like halo 4 its alright) it felt like you where fighting a losing battle; you where in Reach which is why i found the covenant cooler and more intimidating in Reach more than any other game. Ever since the Infinity smashed through a covenant carrier i thought it was just held together with glue which destroyed my image of them as this ominousness looming threat. Now grunts and jakals are easy headshot kills and elites are bullet sponges only really hunters feel powerful, i mean 343 would really have to try, to -Yoink- up hunters. Anyway i just feel they’re to weak in the current universe. What do you think

This is actually one of my biggest problems with my perspective of the current state of the Halo Universe. Spartans used to be rare, majestic, and swanky warriors. Now they’re a dime a dozen. The grocer is a spartan. The salesman is a spartan. Have a problem? Send a ship of spartans at it.

Have an intergalactic threat appear? Doesn’t matter. We have spartans for that.

This mindset creeps into every nook and cranny of the universe, and coupled with the clean plasticy look of the armor and art design, it makes me sad. Halo is missing it’s edge.

Is it extremely dark of me to hope the Infinity gets destroyed with most of the Spartan IV’s on board? Is it?

#NerfTheUNSC353BarvoPlox

> 2533274803493024;2:
> This is actually one of my biggest problems with my perspective of the current state of the Halo Universe. Spartans used to be rare, majestic, and swanky warriors. Now they’re a dime a dozen. The grocer is a spartan. The salesman is a spartan. Have a problem? Send a ship of spartans at it.
>
> Have an intergalactic threat appear? Doesn’t matter. We have spartans for that.
>
> This mindset creeps into every nook and cranny of the universe, and coupled with the clean plasticy look of the armor and art design, it makes me sad. Halo is missing it’s edge.
>
> Is it extremely dark of me to hope the Infinity gets destroyed with most of the Spartan IV’s on board? Is it?
>
> #NerfTheUNSC353BarvoPlox

I agree i remember in some of the halo 3 cut scenes marines would look up at master chief in awe and wouldn’t believe it now there just disposable powereangers

I think it’s fine. The UNSC only has one Infinity-class capital ship. Spartans are still incredibly uncommon within the UNSC. I’m fairly certain that the Spartan branch has less than 1000 active personnel. Compared to the likely several billion other military personnel, that’s a miniscule amount. It just seems like a lot because that’s all we ever see now. Unggoy and Kig-Yar have always been easy to kill with a headshot. Not sure where you get them idea that Sangheili are bullet sponges, because they feel about the same as Sangheili from previous iterations. In addition to that, the Covenant we fight is no longer the incredibly powerful, incredibly devoted, religiously driven, and resource-rich juggernaut that it once was.

One additional question:
Did people complain about Spartan-IIIs when they were first introduced? I mean, they had almost just as many Spartan-IIIs as we have Spartan-IVs, with three classes of at least 300 Spartans.

Also: If someone refers to Spartan-IV armor as looking like Power Ranger suits, I swear, I don’t even know what to say. It’s an insult to both franchises, especially since Seeker exists.

> 2535437652903765;4:
> Not sure where you get them idea that Sangheili are bullet sponges

Because they’re predictable, example; You spot an elite waste some ammo taking down his shields, once they are depleded he does a roar that takes about 2 seconds where he’s not moving so all it takes is a melee or a headshot to kill them almost everytime. In the earlier games they would crouch out of you line of site, run into cover or charge you which made them an interesting enemy.

I’ll give you that grunts and jakals where always a headshot enemy

In Bungie’s Halo you were fighting a losing battle. You went from running from Reach, to crashlanding on a Halo ring, to blowing up said ring, to the Covenant attacking Earth, to shutting another Halo ring, to them attacking Earth even more, to heading to the mother of all Halo rings.

And then at the end of Halo 3 you won that battle. You defeated the Covenant.

Then in Halo 4 and Halo 5, you’re fighting against remnants of the Covenant in the form of rogue factions, and not only do you have the Infinity now, you have the Swords of Sanghelios.

> 2533274926693153;5:
> > 2535437652903765;4:
> > Not sure where you get them idea that Sangheili are bullet sponges
>
>
> Because they’re predictable, example; You spot an elite waste some ammo taking down his shields, once they are depleded he does a roar that takes about 2 seconds where he’s not moving so all it takes is a melee or a headshot to kill them almost everytime. In the earlier games they would crouch out of you line of site, run into cover or charge you which made them an interesting enemy.
>
> I’ll give you that grunts and jakals where always a headshot enemy

I could have sworn that they’ve always done that roar when their shields were depleted. Granted, I don’t believe it was every single time, and it was usually Sangheili Minors and Majors that did it. In Halo 5, I find them to only really be predictable in WZFF, because all they tend to do is just stand there, fire near-endless streams of Storm Rifle bolts, and cross-map people with grenades.

> 2535437652903765;7:
> > 2533274926693153;5:
> > > 2535437652903765;4:
> > > Not sure where you get them idea that Sangheili are bullet sponges
> >
> >
> > Because they’re predictable, example; You spot an elite waste some ammo taking down his shields, once they are depleded he does a roar that takes about 2 seconds where he’s not moving so all it takes is a melee or a headshot to kill them almost everytime. In the earlier games they would crouch out of you line of site, run into cover or charge you which made them an interesting enemy.
> >
> > I’ll give you that grunts and jakals where always a headshot enemy
>
>
> I could have sworn that they’ve always done that roar when their shields were depleted. Granted, I don’t believe it was every single time, and it was usually Sangheili Minors and Majors that did it. In Halo 5, I find them to only really be predictable in WZFF, because all they tend to do is just stand there, fire near-endless streams of Storm Rifle bolts, and cross-map people with grenades.

The reach one’s I believe started the trend of roaring but I think it was mainly the lower ranked ones, and I think it was to balance the fact that they were extremely agile and a few of them can easily tear you to shreads on higher difficulties if you don’t have cover. Of course, the same could be said about the Halo 2 elites, but they were more dangerous in the strength of their shields and melee rather than speed and agility. The Halo 4 and 5 elites have none of this however.

> 2535452250728209;8:
> > 2535437652903765;7:
> > > 2533274926693153;5:
> > > > 2535437652903765;4:
> > > > Not sure where you get them idea that Sangheili are bullet sponges
> > >
> > >
> > > Because they’re predictable, example; You spot an elite waste some ammo taking down his shields, once they are depleded he does a roar that takes about 2 seconds where he’s not moving so all it takes is a melee or a headshot to kill them almost everytime. In the earlier games they would crouch out of you line of site, run into cover or charge you which made them an interesting enemy.
> > >
> > > I’ll give you that grunts and jakals where always a headshot enemy
> >
> >
> > I could have sworn that they’ve always done that roar when their shields were depleted. Granted, I don’t believe it was every single time, and it was usually Sangheili Minors and Majors that did it. In Halo 5, I find them to only really be predictable in WZFF, because all they tend to do is just stand there, fire near-endless streams of Storm Rifle bolts, and cross-map people with grenades.
>
>
> The reach one’s I believe started the trend of roaring but I think it was mainly the lower ranked ones, and I think it was to balance the fact that they were extremely agile and a few of them can easily tear you to shreads on higher difficulties if you don’t have cover. Of course, the same could be said about the Halo 2 elites, but they were more dangerous in the strength of their shields and melee rather than speed and agility. The Halo 4 and 5 elites have none of this however.

Halo 4 and 5’s enemies are generally kinda stupid. 90% of the time, they just stand in one place and spam the -Yoink- out of their weapons. I suppose they’ve usually done that on Legendary, but at least they would typically dodge or go into cover. Now they just kinda stand there.

> 2535437652903765;4:
> I think it’s fine. The UNSC only has one Infinity-class capital ship. Spartans are still incredibly uncommon within the UNSC. I’m fairly certain that the Spartan branch has less than 1000 active personnel. Compared to the likely several billion other military personnel, that’s a miniscule amount. It just seems like a lot because that’s all we ever see now. Unggoy and Kig-Yar have always been easy to kill with a headshot. Not sure where you get them idea that Sangheili are bullet sponges, because they feel about the same as Sangheili from previous iterations. In addition to that, the Covenant we fight is no longer the incredibly powerful, incredibly devoted, religiously driven, and resource-rich juggernaut that it once was.
>
> One additional question:
> Did people complain about Spartan-IIIs when they were first introduced? I mean, they had almost just as many Spartan-IIIs as we have Spartan-IVs, with three classes of at least 300 Spartans.
>
> Also: If someone refers to Spartan-IV armor as looking like Power Ranger suits, I swear, I don’t even know what to say. It’s an insult to both franchises, especially since Seeker exists.

I don’t think anyone really complained about spartan 3s being overpowered when they were introduced. Their first few appearances involved them being slaughtered by the covenant. Even noble team, given their spartan 2 technology and genetics coupled with s3 training, were overpowered and almost killed several times before they each met their demise. Kat would have been killed in the winter contigency by an elite had carter not saved her by tackling her and noble six almost got killed by a zealot. This stuff adds a sense of legitimate vulnraebility to the S3s which is why no one thought or thinks the S3s are overpowered super stars.

Now in regards to the topic at hand rather than your question, contrast this behavior of the enemies and spartans with the ones we see in halo 4 and 5. You see Palmer and other spartan 4s dropping promethean knights, the personal creations of the didact himself, like flies while suffering no casualties themselves. And then you get osiris blowing through dozens of covenant without a hint of discomfort and killing Jul’s personal zealot bodyguards, warriors who should have thousands of kills under their belt, while they stand dumbly or make an occasional clumsy swing that even a run of the mill marine can dodge. The fact that the covenant is splintered should have no bearing on their skill as warriors but they became an annoyance in Halo 4, and a minor nuisance in Halo 5 to the player and the main cast of spartans
/rant

Exactly what I thought, there is no sense of peril when the UNSC are now overpowered. For example, in the opening scene of Halo 5 we see Osiris in action for the first time. They break through boulders, skydive through an air battle between Covenant and Forerunner fleets, and even Vale single-handedly takes down down a -Yoinking!- Phantom in less than 10 seconds. This is a cool scene but do the enemies even SCRATCH this this team? And aren’t there even MORE Spartans with these same abilities!? The covenant are hopeless against the UNSC, and that’s not a good thing. The enemies don’t seem like much of a threat in this game.

The UNSC being overpowered does make a bit of sense when you consider all the Forerunner and Covenant tech they managed to uncover over the years, also this is the first time where all the new Spartans they make don’t need to be wasted on suicide missions and in theory have a longer combat life span, add that to the many improvements of the Gen 2 armours as well and they are a threat.

The other Covenant species were pretty much fractured and had to learn to be independent again as well so they lost a lot of progress and time which only adds to the UNSCs advantage.

The issue for me at least is that its only been 4 to 5 years after the war whereas I think maybe it should have taken the UNSC ten years to recover, also most of the Covenant don’t seem to smart anymore like they were during the war.

> 2535437652903765;4:
> I think it’s fine. The UNSC only has one Infinity-class capital ship. Spartans are still incredibly uncommon within the UNSC. I’m fairly certain that the Spartan branch has less than 1000 active personnel. Compared to the likely several billion other military personnel, that’s a miniscule amount. It just seems like a lot because that’s all we ever see now. Unggoy and Kig-Yar have always been easy to kill with a headshot. Not sure where you get them idea that Sangheili are bullet sponges, because they feel about the same as Sangheili from previous iterations. In addition to that, the Covenant we fight is no longer the incredibly powerful, incredibly devoted, religiously driven, and resource-rich juggernaut that it once was.
>
> One additional question:
> Did people complain about Spartan-IIIs when they were first introduced? I mean, they had almost just as many Spartan-IIIs as we have Spartan-IVs, with three classes of at least 300 Spartans.
>
> Also: If someone refers to Spartan-IV armor as looking like Power Ranger suits, I swear, I don’t even know what to say. It’s an insult to both franchises, especially since Seeker exists.

400 or so Spartan IV’s are active in Halo 5

You’d think the remaining covenant or brute factions would be able to develop some sort of super soldier(s) to combat them at this point. Granted I’m not as far into lore as some of you so feel free to correct me.

Overall, the UNSC is still vastly outmatched by the Covenant. What helps keep things on a more even playing field is that the Covenant is now fragmented and scattered; lacking any real cohesion. I have a feeling that if there were a decent amount of Banished-esque forces floating around, the UNSC would be demolished.
People also need to keep in mind that we’ve been stationed either on, or around, the Infinity for the past 2 games, that being Humanity’s strongest ship. So while it may seem that Humanity is now strutting around all OP, it really is not the case. The Earth Defense Fleet has been destroyed 3 times now.
The Infinity is also the SIVs base of operations, so to speak. That is why we’ve seen a fair amount of them. But not everyone is a Spartan now, and I think people blow that way out of proportion. The total number of Spartans is a small number compared to the rest of the UNSC.

> 2533274803493024;2:
> This is actually one of my biggest problems with my perspective of the current state of the Halo Universe. Spartans used to be rare, majestic, and swanky warriors. Now they’re a dime a dozen. The grocer is a spartan. The salesman is a spartan. Have a problem? Send a ship of spartans at it.
>
> Have an intergalactic threat appear? Doesn’t matter. We have spartans for that.
>
> This mindset creeps into every nook and cranny of the universe, and coupled with the clean plasticy look of the armor and art design, it makes me sad. Halo is missing it’s edge.
>
> Is it extremely dark of me to hope the Infinity gets destroyed with most of the Spartan IV’s on board? Is it?
>
> #NerfTheUNSC353BarvoPlox

Is it the Spartan IVs or Spartan IIIs you dislike? The time between 3 and reach is where Spartan numbers really multiplied, plus I believe there was even a mission (going by the books here) where 200 Spartan 3s assaulted a covie base. Lore wise it makes sense, as time passes you find better and cheaper ways to make an effective weapon. As tech got better the unsc simply saw it much easier to make Spartans out of people. Game wise they could stick to lore or they could keep to just a few Spartans I guess just for the impression.

@op: just an FYI but the unsc as a whole is still recovering from the war with the covenant. They’re still scattered about all over the Galaxy while still fighting remnants of the covenant, forunner running about, and an evil cortana giving the impression that -Yoink- about to go down in h6. The unsc is really in the same state as the covenant but not as divided leadership wise.

> 2535437652903765;9:
> > 2535452250728209;8:
> > > 2535437652903765;7:
> > > > 2533274926693153;5:
> > > > > 2535437652903765;4:
> > > > > Not sure where you get them idea that Sangheili are bullet sponges
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Because they’re predictable, example; You spot an elite waste some ammo taking down his shields, once they are depleded he does a roar that takes about 2 seconds where he’s not moving so all it takes is a melee or a headshot to kill them almost everytime. In the earlier games they would crouch out of you line of site, run into cover or charge you which made them an interesting enemy.
> > > >
> > > > I’ll give you that grunts and jakals where always a headshot enemy
> > >
> > >
> > > I could have sworn that they’ve always done that roar when their shields were depleted. Granted, I don’t believe it was every single time, and it was usually Sangheili Minors and Majors that did it. In Halo 5, I find them to only really be predictable in WZFF, because all they tend to do is just stand there, fire near-endless streams of Storm Rifle bolts, and cross-map people with grenades.
> >
> >
> > The reach one’s I believe started the trend of roaring but I think it was mainly the lower ranked ones, and I think it was to balance the fact that they were extremely agile and a few of them can easily tear you to shreads on higher difficulties if you don’t have cover. Of course, the same could be said about the Halo 2 elites, but they were more dangerous in the strength of their shields and melee rather than speed and agility. The Halo 4 and 5 elites have none of this however.
>
>
> Halo 4 and 5’s enemies are generally kinda stupid. 90% of the time, they just stand in one place and spam the -Yoink- out of their weapons. I suppose they’ve usually done that on Legendary, but at least they would typically dodge or go into cover. Now they just kinda stand there.

I disagree. I saw a watcher grab a guy’s hydra rocker out of the air and threw it back into his face to kill him. I have seen a soldier hijack a rocket hog in Warzone Fire Fight and used it to kill the player after he respawned. One time I ran around a corner into a knight and he chased after me around a rock until he killed me.

> 2533274851065491;15:
> Overall, the UNSC is still vastly outmatched by the Covenant. What helps keep things on a more even playing field is that the Covenant is now fragmented and scattered; lacking any real cohesion. I have a feeling that if there were a decent amount of Banished-esque forces floating around, the UNSC would be demolished.

If a covenant corvette landed on earth and started spewing out enemies bearing in mind only one cruiser made it to the surface in halo 2 and humanity got its -Yoink- whopped until chief showed up they would have to ‘nerf’ the Spartans IV’s or we would crush them instantly

> 2533274926693153;18:
> > 2533274851065491;15:
> > Overall, the UNSC is still vastly outmatched by the Covenant. What helps keep things on a more even playing field is that the Covenant is now fragmented and scattered; lacking any real cohesion. I have a feeling that if there were a decent amount of Banished-esque forces floating around, the UNSC would be demolished.
>
>
> If a covenant corvette landed on earth and started spewing out enemies bearing in mind only one cruiser made it to the surface in halo 2 and humanity got its -Yoink- whopped until chief showed up they would have to ‘nerf’ the Spartans IV’s or we would crush them instantly

It was a carrier that made it passed the ODPs in Halo 2. Assault Carriers carry a much larger amount of forces compared to a Corvette. If another carrier were to make it passed the ODPs post-war and start unloading it’s forces the same way, things would be bad as well. It would most likely take the defense fleet and multiple Spartan teams to effectively push the Covenant out. Having the Infinity and SIVs around now certainly helps Humanity, but it doesn’t make them an unstoppable force. Jul was able to dance around the UNSC at Requiem and his Remnant wasn’t the best equipped compared to the Covenant during the war.

They do need to give the covenant some love again, I fell like they’re there to just be there now and it feels wrong.

Elites need to be more intelligent again, they need to hijack human vehicles and use the turrets. I want to see higher ranked elites having a little bit of personality like keeping his elites near him and sending grunts forward or charging in himself disregarding personal safety. Only low ranked elites should roar when you break the shield, higher ranked elites should try to take cover.

Grunts should, well not much to change for them really. I would like to see the shielded grunts using more powerful weapon variants tho

Jackals. In H4 we see a jackal literally pounce on a guy and bite into his neck. I want to see that ferocity against us, yeah they can bash us with their shields now but when we break their shields I want to see them either run away (as usual) or if you’re close enough I want them to leap at you dealing higher melee damage, if it kills you there should an animation.
And if I recall from one of the books there’s a Skirmisher that drove a human vehicle (hog or something) since he was on a human planet trading after the human-covie war so I would like to see jackals take over unoccupied vehicles and turrets.

Hunters have gotten quite interesting now but I would like to see some more movement when their bond brother dies. So chasing players or charging towards vehicles, smashing whatever gets near them.

AI overall need improvement, wouldn’t mind seeing lower ranked enemies picking up stronger weapons or even seeing “tactics”. What I mean by tactics is if there’s a certain number of AI in a given radius they’ll more in a certain way. So say if there’s 7+ elites in a 30 metre radius they’ll all focus on one area or enemy (the player) they’ll try and swarm you. If there is only 2-4 elites they’ll stay at mid range and rely on cover more trying to keep you at a distance. Jackals will try to circle you if there’s enough of them, grunts just do what grunts do best which is attack in mass.