Covenant holidays

I find it interesting that we have known the Covenant for seventeen years now. We have had lore dives on them through games and books, yet we do not know much on them in certain aspects. One of these being their religious side, specifically their holidays. We know the forerunner holiday of “Grand Star Season,” where all rates wore the same type of hat to celebrate it. Yet that was introduced to us in their first book.

The Covenant on the other hand, to my knowledge have had only hints of what they do. From Contact Harvest we know they celebrate the start of a new Age when the new Heirarchs ascend to the top of the keyship. We are also shown in the Halo Wars timeline showed that for a victory, those at High Charity at least were to fast and pray for a time while lesser races had their rations revoked.

Do you think this aspect of the Covenant’s culture will be expanded on? Or what type of holidays do you think they have?

I hope we get to explore Covenant holidays. It seems like a great way to “humanize” them now that they’re no longer our enemies (i’m talking about ex-Covenant members, not the spinter groups that have become terrorist cells and radicals). I think it would be fun to see what Sangheili have for holidays. I’m betting a lot of theirs have to do with honor, family, and former battles. While Grunts (sorry, I don’t know their real names) probably have more goofier, less serious holidays.
Imo, I think Brutes tend to have huge feasts, and probably a lot of drinking in their holidays.

I could easily see some of those happening during the Covenant’s time, though now picturing unggoy enjoying infusion gas too much. If I had to guess on a main covenant holiday, celebration of the forerunner’s victory over the flood and the beginning of the Great Journey. Guessing it would be celebrated somewhat like Christmas and Easter were centuries ago.

> 2533274806469514;3:
> I could easily see some of those happening during the Covenant’s time, though now picturing unggoy enjoying infusion gas too much. If I had to guess on a main covenant holiday, celebration of the forerunner’s victory over the flood and the beginning of the Great Journey. Guessing it would be celebrated somewhat like Christmas and Easter were centuries ago.

I don’t think they knew of the Forerunners victory over the flood man
But it would be interesting to see what sort of celebrations they had/have

Im pretty sure they celebrated when they find something important,like a Halo or a shield world.

I’m making assumptions here, but basically everything I’ve seen in the lore indicates that the Prophets essentially had complete control over all the other Covenant species’ cultures. Going off of that, I’d assume the Prophets didn’t really encourage Empire-wide holidays; they seem more like the type to view such things as a waste of man-hours. If anything, they only held such celebrations whenever an event happened, not on a set annual date.

> 2533274926575406;4:
> > 2533274806469514;3:
> > I could easily see some of those happening during the Covenant’s time, though now picturing unggoy enjoying infusion gas too much. If I had to guess on a main covenant holiday, celebration of the forerunner’s victory over the flood and the beginning of the Great Journey. Guessing it would be celebrated somewhat like Christmas and Easter were centuries ago.
>
> I don’t think they knew of the Forerunners victory over the flood man
> But it would be interesting to see what sort of celebrations they had/have

They knew, the special operation sangheili flood levels will taunt the parasite. “You could not defeat our lords and you shall not defeat us either.”

> 2533274812371483;6:
> I’m making assumptions here, but basically everything I’ve seen in the lore indicates that the Prophets essentially had complete control over all the other Covenant species’ cultures. Going off of that, I’d assume the Prophets didn’t really encourage Empire-wide holidays; they seem more like the type to view such things as a waste of man-hours. If anything, they only held such celebrations whenever an event happened, not on a set annual date.

Well they did not have utterly complete control. Contact Harvest mentions that the san 'shyuum allowed the sangheili to keep as many pre-covenant traditions as they could. Mostly just to keep them happy since they were now the guards of the san ’

> 2535408730995228;5:
> Im pretty sure they celebrated when they find something important,like a Halo or a shield world.

I have no doubt of that would think those would usually lead into an Age of Discovery.
shyuum.

They probably have some general Holidays based on Forerunners that are Covenenat; i would assume each species has their own Holidays, elites have like a milityary holiday, jackals have some merchant holiday. I think it would be like that.

> 2535468987600841;8:
> They probably have some general Holidays based on Forerunners that are Covenenat; i would assume each species has their own Holidays, elites have like a milityary holiday, jackals have some merchant holiday. I think it would be like that.

Likely true, but with them being a theocracy, one would think there would be at least one major holiday shared among all species.

> 2533274806469514;9:
> > 2535468987600841;8:
> > They probably have some general Holidays based on Forerunners that are Covenenat; i would assume each species has their own Holidays, elites have like a milityary holiday, jackals have some merchant holiday. I think it would be like that.
>
> Likely true, but with them being a theocracy, one would think there would be at least one major holiday shared among all species.

Yeah, like a holiday based around the discovery of a Forerunner artifact, or something.

The holiday of Yipyap!

> 2533274831762284;11:
> The holiday of Yipyap!

Unggoy bedtime stories says he delivers fresh food -Yoink!- to all well behaved unggoy after battle.

> 2533274806469514;12:
> > 2533274831762284;11:
> > The holiday of Yipyap!
>
> Unggoy bedtime stories says he delivers fresh food -Yoink!- to all well behaved unggoy after battle.

That’s correct ya know.

> 2533274831762284;11:
> The holiday of Yipyap!

“Me and Flipyap went to nipple academy together” -Bungie 2009

Like Father’s day for Sangheili, eh? :^)

> 2533274931397890;15:
> Like Father’s day for Sangheili, eh? :^)

Without the knowledge of biological fathers, would think the closest to this would be bringing honor to the family name.

> 2533274806469514;16:
> > 2533274931397890;15:
> > Like Father’s day for Sangheili, eh? :^)
>
> Without the knowledge of biological fathers, would think the closest to this would be bringing honor to the family name.

It was a joke.

> 2533274931397890;17:
> > 2533274806469514;16:
> > > 2533274931397890;15:
> > > Like Father’s day for Sangheili, eh? :^)
> >
> > Without the knowledge of biological fathers, would think the closest to this would be bringing honor to the family name.
>
> It was a joke.

I know, just got me thinking.

“Let the Victory of Epsilon Indi be celebrated by fasting and prayer. Unggoy and Kig-Yar food rations to be eliminated for the next three work periods. Sangheili and Jiralhanae to spend two rest periods in public prayer. All attend the public monitors at the sounding of five bells to observe the execution of those who failed their duty at the Victory.”
Halo Wars timeline

They definitely celebrate in some manner.

> 2533274931397890;19:
> “Let the Victory of Epsilon Indi be celebrated by fasting and prayer. Unggoy and Kig-Yar food rations to be eliminated for the next three work periods. Sangheili and Jiralhanae to spend two rest periods in public prayer. All attend the public monitors at the sounding of five bells to observe the execution of those who failed their duty at the Victory.”
> Halo Wars timeline
>
> They definitely celebrate in some manner.

Have to wonder, if this was for a single victory, how big of a celebration they must have had when the halos were discovered.