Couple of story related questions.

Alright. Spoilers. Obviously. Be warned.

Couple of questions.

At the beginning of Two betrayals 343 GS says something on the lines of "“Last time you asked me, if it was my choice, would I do it? Having had considerable time to ponder your query, my answer has not changed.”

So what was going on here? The chief never asks him that. Was he confusing MC with someone from his past? As the “reclaimer”?

Also always wondered, what was the second betrayal in Two betrayals? Was it supposed to be Cortana stopping Halo from firing as Betrayal 1 and 343 as the second?

Yes, 343 Guilty Spark was confusing the Master Chief with someone else. A hundred thousand years before the games’ stories, a Forerunner named Didact fired the rings, wiping out his entire species and a massive Flood infestation. He had asked Spark for advice prior to the act.

Ah. Thanks. That makes sense.

I was thinking I had missed something in the Terminals (which BTW were an amazing addition to the game) relating to that. Nothing I could find though.

> Yes, 343 Guilty Spark was confusing the Master Chief with someone else. A hundred thousand years before the games’ stories, a Forerunner named Didact fired the rings, wiping out his entire species and a massive Flood infestation. He had asked Spark for advice prior to the act.

Where did you read that? As of right now the story of the Didact is currently being told in the Forerunner trilogy written by Greg Bear. More importantly, humans existed at the same time as the Forerunners. So Spark could be mistaking Chief for another human/Reclaimer.

Thought it had something to do with Chakkas…or was it Riser (I’m tired right now).

I don’t think “you” necessarily means the individual in this case, but rather “you” means the reclaimer. Essentially, I believe Spark is programmed to recognize reclaimers as forerunners, as evidenced in Halo 3 when he says “You ARE forerunner, but this ring is MINE.”

> > Yes, 343 Guilty Spark was confusing the Master Chief with someone else. A hundred thousand years before the games’ stories, a Forerunner named Didact fired the rings, wiping out his entire species and a massive Flood infestation. He had asked Spark for advice prior to the act.
>
> Where did you read that? As of right now the story of the Didact is currently being told in the Forerunner trilogy written by Greg Bear. More importantly, humans existed at the same time as the Forerunners. So Spark could be mistaking Chief for another human/Reclaimer.

Not likely. We know that the Didact fired the rings from the Halo 3 terminals.

I’d give them a read if I were you. They’re actually really good