Could some CEA problems return in Halo 4?

We all know that Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary wasn’t a perfect game graphically (not the graphics in general but there were plenty of bugs/glitches). Knowing that 343 is making Halo 4 is there a possibility that the following problems could return in Halo 4 (as they made CEA)?

(oh and if there is an explanation as to why it couldn’t return please state it as I am in desperate need of my ‘worries’ being cleansed’

I have high hopes for Halo 4 by the way!

1. Far too many Pop in Textures.
    I’m sorry but almost any new room or environment you enter there will be things that will appear blurry and then pop-in. These are things such as the doors on The Assault On The Control Room or the Pillars you stand on when destroying the engines on the Maw.

2. Over-sensitive menu navigation.
    This is opinion but I found the menu navigation to be over-sensitive. I slightly pushed forward the analogue stick and it went down too fast, making it hard to select what I wanted to with ease.

3)Lip/audio-syncing was not always perfectly timed. Very often I found the characters to be speaking and it looked quite awkward (e.g. Keyes speaking in the first cutscene on Johnson as well)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwuoTueSR7k

If you have any other problems to state please do so.

Thanks, any please note that I have no hate towards this game, just constructive criticism that could be used to improve it!

343i didn’t technically make Anniversary, and Anniversary was unique because it used two engines. I don’t expect Halo 4 to have any of the issues that Anniversary does.

[deleted]

I noticed number 3 as well.

You will get used to number 2. It is something that will take you a lot of time. :slight_smile:

And I had no problems with 1.

(and I have no idea why I went from 3 to 1 instead from 1 to 3 xD )

Halo 4 is being built from the ground up on a completely new engine.

The lip syncing won’t be a problem because Halo 4 uses mo-cap while Anniversary was adding in the audio.

> Halo 4 is being built from the ground up on a completely new engine.

I thought it was a rework of the Halo 3 engine, as was reach.
But certainly a rework of the Reach Engine

> > Halo 4 is being built from the ground up on a completely new engine.
>
> I thought it was a rework of the Halo 3 engine, as was reach.
> But certainly a rework of the Reach Engine

All the Halo engines have been a rebuild of the prior. But when they say “rebuild” they mean they strip it down to the bare bones and build it back up with newer and better technology. So for all intents and purposes, it is a brand new engine but at the very core, it’s the CE engine.

I didn’t encounter any glitches in Anniversary. CE was a pretty much a perfect game, 343 made it even better.

1. H4 is using a completely different engine to the “skin” that was running on top of H:CE in the form of H:CEA

2. I think it’s easier to use the D-Pad, it would be a far larger problem if the menus felt sluggish; snappy, quick and highly responsive menus make any software feel modern and intuitive, ie. iOS, Android 4.1 and WP7+.

3. Facial Mo-cap will completely negate this problem. Does anyone know if the animations in H:CEA were brand new for the lip-syncing or were they the stock Halo: Combat Evolved ones?

The graphics didn’t always align with the old game engine.

> 3. Facial Mo-cap will completely negate this problem. Does anyone know if the animations in H:CEA were brand new for the lip-syncing or were they the stock Halo: Combat Evolved ones?

They was more or less the same animations that was in Halo CE’s engine from day one.

OP, most of your issues are tied to not only the fact that original CE engine was full of bugs, but also the fact that you’re layering a whole new engine on top of it.

> > 3. Facial Mo-cap will completely negate this problem. Does anyone know if the animations in H:CEA were brand new for the lip-syncing or were they the stock Halo: Combat Evolved ones?
>
> They was more or less the same animations that was in Halo CE’s engine from day one.

Uh, no they weren’t. The CEA cutscene animation and cameras were completely new.

CEA’s visuals in general were put together in a very small timeframe; you can tell by looking at things like the different chasms in AotCR/TB and how the upper chasm walls look that it’s not even really “finished.” The animations in CEA’s cutscenes are bad because they’re bad, not because they just pasted animations over from CE. The only animations that were pasted over are the in-gameplay ones, and while they don’t necessarily look as fitting on the new models as on the old, they aren’t bad.

Halo 4 has been made over a much larger time frame and by a totally different studio more or less.

Well, I expect lipsync and such to be spot on in Halo 4, no reason for it not to be.
The “over sensitive menus” were horrible, unless you got a good d-pad (thanks for that, MS) it was very difficult and annoying to get to the right menu.
The only problem that might be present in Halo 4 is texture pop ins, since it happens in all games more or less due to how the graphics are rendered. The only way to avoid it would be using voxels or “infinite graphics engine”, first one with obvious limitations and the second one most likely a scam.
I think Halo 4 will be fine, and have none of the CE:A problems :slight_smile: