"Could not find dedicated server" on first search

Good morning Waypoint!

So, I’ve had a strange issue with Halo 5: Guardians for a few months now that I’m curious if anyone else has encountered.

When I boot up my game and go to pick a playlist, I always get an error that pops up saying “Could not find dedicated server” on the first search. It doesn’t matter if I’m looking for a game in Social, Ranked or Warzone - this always appears and it kicks me back to the playlist selection screen.

When I search again it will put me in a lobby but always displays a pop up saying “Connection Lost” or “Could not connect”, something along those lines, but when I press ‘A’ I’m in the lobby and loading the map fine.

I don’t know what causes this but it happens every single time on both of my Xbox One X’s (Project Scorpio and Battlefield V versions).

I’ve tested this while hardwired and on Wi-Fi and have been through 3 routers (soon to be a shiny new 4th!) but the problem persists every time I try to play.

It’s more of a nuisance than anything but I’m curious if anyone else has experienced this.

Since it’s been happening I’ve also had connection issues with some friends on Xbox Live exclusively on Halo 5. One friend will get dropped from the lobby where the map is loading every single time while another can’t connect to custom games. Both have open nats and high internet speeds (the one who gets dropped every time has gigabit fiber).

It’s kind of frustrating because Halo 5 is one of my favorite games to play and these issues can cause such a headache that we end up hoping over to MCC, Smite, Apex or Gears of War 4 instead.

If anyone has any feedback and maybe even a potential solution, I would greatly appreciate the help.

Regardless, thank you for taking the time to read my post and I hope you have a wonderful day!

Over the past few months, I’ve experienced the “connection lost” problem more than I would expect. But not at the frequency you describe, and certainly not every time I boot the game. Just a wild guess - maybe 10% of the time for me.

I’m mostly a solo player, but every so often I’ll play with my brother. The second scenario happens frequently when we match together - seems like we can’t play more than a few games before it boots one of us as the map loads.

Of course, last week everyone was having serious lag issues. I’m not sure when things stand with that problem.

> 2533274802220999;1:
> Good morning Waypoint!
>
> So, I’ve had a strange issue with Halo 5: Guardians for a few months now that I’m curious if anyone else has encountered.
>
> When I boot up my game and go to pick a playlist, I always get an error that pops up saying “Could not find dedicated server” on the first search. It doesn’t matter if I’m looking for a game in Social, Ranked or Warzone - this always appears and it kicks me back to the playlist selection screen.
>
> When I search again it will put me in a lobby but always displays a pop up saying “Connection Lost” or “Could not connect”, something along those lines, but when I press ‘A’ I’m in the lobby and loading the map fine.
>
> I don’t know what causes this but it happens every single time on both of my Xbox One X’s (Project Scorpio and Battlefield V versions).
>
> I’ve tested this while hardwired and on Wi-Fi and have been through 3 routers (soon to be a shiny new 4th!) but the problem persists every time I try to play.
>
> It’s more of a nuisance than anything but I’m curious if anyone else has experienced this.
>
> Since it’s been happening I’ve also had connection issues with some friends on Xbox Live exclusively on Halo 5. One friend will get dropped from the lobby where the map is loading every single time while another can’t connect to custom games. Both have open nats and high internet speeds (the one who gets dropped every time has gigabit fiber).
>
> It’s kind of frustrating because Halo 5 is one of my favorite games to play and these issues can cause such a headache that we end up hoping over to MCC, Smite, Apex or Gears of War 4 instead.
>
> If anyone has any feedback and maybe even a potential solution, I would greatly appreciate the help.
>
> Regardless, thank you for taking the time to read my post and I hope you have a wonderful day!

> 2533274843056602;2:
> Over the past few months, I’ve experienced the “connection lost” problem more than I would expect. But not at the frequency you describe, and certainly not every time I boot the game. Just a wild guess - maybe 10% of the time for me.
>
> I’m mostly a solo player, but every so often I’ll play with my brother. The second scenario happens frequently when we match together - seems like we can’t play more than a few games before it boots one of us as the map loads.
>
> Of course, last week everyone was having serious lag issues. I’m not sure when things stand with that problem.

I have also been experiencing this really badly since at least December initially just the first game of the day, but increasingly now ever time I open the game it’s the same. Last night just took the biscuit though:

Was playing in the social stream. During a break came out of the game to check on my Sea of Thieves update progress and accidentally tried to launch it (closing H5). I relaunched H5, tried to find a match: then in the stream they said they were going to do Super Fiesta, changed their mind to BTB Super Fiesta, then back to normal Super Fiesta. During the indecision I backed out of the queue I was in to try and make sure I was in the right one, then put myself into the right queue… this must have been about 21:40 or so GMT. TImestamp 1h 15m 50s in the stream: Halo is on Facebook Gaming.

I matched with them, looked forward to the game, celebrated the Unicorn Skin being mine… and yeah… then saw on the stream as my logo disappeared from the match while my screen still showed 4/4 Loading but with no progress in the final bar - then finally that dreaded error message because of precisely this issue. stckrboy confirmed that unfortunately they only award the skin to people who manage to complete matches with the team no matter what. More than understand that they’ve got to have rules around this, but if the above issue wasn’t annoying enough already this just makes it take the biscuit. Cannot understand how this issue is still so prevalent.

Here’s the kicker: I almost never get to play during the social steam times as 21:30 UK time tends to be when my partner gets in from running a local guides unit so she needs help in with all that stuff and, as it’s the first time I’ve seen her since the morning so spend time with her. Due to the clocks change and a work trip this was one of the few times I could actually play the social stream and try to match with them. Being an UK player I was always resigned to the fact that it would probably be unlikely I’d manage to. My very good friends are all fire and brimstone about it saying I should kick up a fuss, but I can totally understand that they’ve got to be fair and game completion is the criteria they use. I love Halo, 343i, and the entire waypoint team and I’m as gutted about losing what might be my only chance for quite some time to get the Unicorn skin because of this, now well-publicised, initial launch disconnect problem, as I am about missing the opportunity to play with the awesome due they had in the stream.

Whatever you need from the community though we’re rooting for this problem to be fixed: so if you need more data after Josh Menke’s call for some on twitter last month we are here for it.

RIP my precious skin… I’ll get you some day, but this issue is more annoying to a whole lot more people than just me! Praying I’m the last to get affected in this way.

This exact thing happens to me as well. Only on first search. Every search after that works fine.

That also happened to me but I think that its just because there are not so many player’s that play halo 5. But thats just my opinion.

Problem resolved here: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/e0d9938206f04a598ce84f2c8cadce02/topics/connection-failed-often-for-first-attempt-solved/3cded1e9-f976-4e8b-89f4-fb2a338adba8/posts

Factory reset Xbox. Problem fixed.

A factory reset is a bit of an overkill.
Without understanding what is actually causing those disconnects on first start who knows what such a severe measure might break.
And while I am not saying the factory reset isn’t helping it doesn’t sound like a permanent cure but rather like a patch and some tape to hold it together for now.
And if it happens again tomorrow the recommended solution would be another factory reset? and another factory reset the day after that?
Or is the Xbox One console so crappy that games just don’t work properly and the only way to fix things is to do a factory reset? (in case you noticed this is rhetorical - I doubt the Xbox support team would consider this a good solution).
I just get nervous when someone tells me to uninstall/reinstall rather than actually debugging the bugs :slight_smile:

> 2533274798332734;7:
> A factory reset is a bit of an overkill.
> Without understanding what is actually causing those disconnects on first start who knows what such a severe measure might break.
> And while I am not saying the factory reset isn’t helping it doesn’t sound like a permanent cure but rather like a patch and some tape to hold it together for now.
> And if it happens again tomorrow the recommended solution would be another factory reset? and another factory reset the day after that?
> Or is the Xbox One console so crappy that games just don’t work properly and the only way to fix things is to do a factory reset? (in case you noticed this is rhetorical - I doubt the Xbox support team would consider this a good solution).
> I just get nervous when someone tells me to uninstall/reinstall rather than actually debugging the bugs :slight_smile:

It has cured my problem for several months and I have not had to repeat this procedure. I have had this console since the launch of Xbox one s. As everyone else I have had many Xbox one updates. I was also part of the Xbox dashboard preview program. Just like any operating system patched over its lifetime, you can have some issues creep up where a rebuild could be necessary. I am not saying this would be permanent solution but I think to say this is overkill, severe, or has potential to break something is misleading. In fact Xbox support claims the process is simple and easy and even encourages doing it for troubleshooting. Its less than a 15 minute process and it has solved the problem for two people and would love to hear if it fixes your problem. I also agree that digging deep to actually find the bug is the ultimate way to fix this issue, however this is a closed source system and most of us do not have the access to do that. As an end user your are unfortunately stuck with solutions like this or waiting for Microsoft or 343 to fix it. After many months hoping it would fix itself I finally posted in these forums last year around November. I posted because many of my friends were experiencing the exact same problem. Several people responded to the post saying they also have the same problem. No solution or response to date from support but I no longer suffer from this annoying bug and am sharing to help out others.

A link to factory reset:
https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/console/reset-console-to-factory-defaults

Quote from above link that applies:
“Though rare, there are times when you may need to completely erase and restore your Xbox One, such as when you sell it or give it to a friend. There also may be times when you want to reset your console’s operating system (OS) to its factory defaults for troubleshooting purposes, but you want to keep all of your installed games and apps. Xbox One provides a simple and easy way to perform both actions…”

> 2533274803894746;8:
> > 2533274798332734;7:
> > A factory reset is a bit of an overkill.
> > Without understanding what is actually causing those disconnects on first start who knows what such a severe measure might break.
> > And while I am not saying the factory reset isn’t helping it doesn’t sound like a permanent cure but rather like a patch and some tape to hold it together for now.
> > And if it happens again tomorrow the recommended solution would be another factory reset? and another factory reset the day after that?
> > Or is the Xbox One console so crappy that games just don’t work properly and the only way to fix things is to do a factory reset? (in case you noticed this is rhetorical - I doubt the Xbox support team would consider this a good solution).
> > I just get nervous when someone tells me to uninstall/reinstall rather than actually debugging the bugs :slight_smile:
>
> It has cured my problem for several months and I have not had to repeat this procedure. I have had this console since the launch of Xbox one s. As everyone else I have had many Xbox one updates. I was also part of the Xbox dashboard preview program. Just like any operating system patched over its lifetime, you can have some issues creep up where a rebuild could be necessary. I am not saying this would be permanent solution but I think to say this is overkill, severe, or has potential to break something is misleading. In fact Xbox support claims the process is simple and easy and even encourages doing it for troubleshooting. Its less than a 15 minute process and it has solved the problem for two people and would love to hear if it fixes your problem. I also agree that digging deep to actually find the bug is the ultimate way to fix this issue, however this is a closed source system and most of us do not have the access to do that. As an end user your are unfortunately stuck with solutions like this or waiting for Microsoft or 343 to fix it. After many months hoping it would fix itself I finally posted in these forums last year around November. I posted because many of my friends were experiencing the exact same problem. Several people responded to the post saying they also have the same problem. No solution or response to date from support but I no longer suffer from this annoying bug and am sharing to help out others.
>
> A link to factory reset:
> Xbox Support
>
> Quote from above link that applies:
> “Though rare, there are times when you may need to completely erase and restore your Xbox One, such as when you sell it or give it to a friend. There also may be times when you want to reset your console’s operating system (OS) to its factory defaults for troubleshooting purposes, but you want to keep all of your installed games and apps. Xbox One provides a simple and easy way to perform both actions…”

Don’t get me wrong, I am actually glad that one of us mortals posted a solution while 343i most likely hasn’t even looked at this issue. I wish the Xbox would support something like wireshark directly on the console rather than me having to go through my switch/firewall/etc. Not that this would fix anything but it sure would help troubleshooting (a pcap says more than a 1000 screenshots LOL)

Yeah I agree, its always on the wire. I have had my share of digging through wireshark (previously ethereal) logs to troubleshoot issues. For work I used to support Microsoft servers, years ago I moved on to Linux and will never go back!

So hang on… a problem happening to a significant amount of players is fixed by all of them performing a factory reset?

That seems like overkill when there’s surely a fix serverside or patching clients/xboxes which could fix this?

> 2533274874872263;11:
> So hang on… a problem happening to a significant amount of players is fixed by all of them performing a factory reset?
>
> That seems like overkill when there’s surely a fix serverside or patching clients/xboxes which could fix this?

Sure I would love to see a server side or client side patch to fix the issue. I was waiting for that exact same thing. I am no longer waiting since I do not have the problem any more. If your experiencing the issue described I recommend you try it and post your results. If your not comfortable doing a factory reset and want to wait for an official fix that is also great. Hopefully people post back with any success they have.

> 2533274874872263;11:
> So hang on… a problem happening to a significant amount of players is fixed by all of them performing a factory reset?
>
> That seems like overkill when there’s surely a fix serverside or patching clients/xboxes which could fix this?

Yeah, I would like to see a solution besides having to factory reset but shout out to Nobler for offering a solution. I haven’t gotten to try it yet. Today is the first day I’ve logged on Waypoint in a while, so I hadn’t seen it. But I can confirm as recently as last night I was still getting the issue.

> 2533274802220999;13:
> > 2533274874872263;11:
> > So hang on… a problem happening to a significant amount of players is fixed by all of them performing a factory reset?
> >
> > That seems like overkill when there’s surely a fix serverside or patching clients/xboxes which could fix this?
>
> Yeah, I would like to see a solution besides having to factory reset but shout out to Nobler for offering a solution. I haven’t gotten to try it yet. Today is the first day I’ve logged on Waypoint in a while, so I hadn’t seen it. But I can confirm as recently as last night I was still getting the issue.

Absolutely and I apologise to Nobler1050 for failing to do so before.

Lol I hate when this happens. I guess it isn’t that big of a deal but boy does it bother you. It does affect the experience IMO.

Such as, if you happen to be doing something else on your Xbox and someone sends you an invite to play, odds are you won’t join in on their first match. So to fix this you should first burn a game search by not “finding your dedicated server,” so that you can successfully join your friends party on this join attempt. However there’s the small chance you actually do join your first match since when you open your game (lol.) So then you would just quit that one. If you quit one match I guess it isn’t too bad- if you aren’t a quitter then this’d probably be your last one. However that does come at the expense at making a 3v4 happen, kinda ruining it for others. You may also do this on WZFF or WZPvP games. All of this just to join your friends match huh? Alternatively you can just use that first game invite, fail at joining that first game and sit that one out. Maybe it doesn’t happen to everyone- I could just be an anomaly- but, I’m confident in saying this is now 80% of the time. I feel like it has only gotten worse with time. it can take up to 15 minutes to join a fireteam lol! Playing this game is like driving a manual car lol. All that work to get into the first game. It happens when you start up the game. I like to close my tasks when I’m done using them.

This is one of the things that may affect my decision to buy the upcoming Halo game. It’s like having to twist the doorknob twice, or close your vehicle’s door two times every time to get it to work. Smoothness of UI is very important. There is too much technology for this to be an issue. I really hope things like these and freezing menus go away.