Could less expectations save Halo 5/ONE?

A lot of people I know think Halo 4 was a bad/failed game. Statistically, it is. Populations have dropped more than any other Halo game within such short amount of time, copies have been returned by thousands and people are saying they won’t buy the next Halo game.

Especially the last part worries me. It is because of Halo 4, the game that should’ve been GOTY, that Halo 5’s future might be doomed. Atleast, on day one. A lot of people want to see the game first, before buying it. Wait. Until there is confirmation that it’s better. The hype is much smaller.

But isn’t that a good thing? Less hype means less expectations. Halo 4 was supposed to be the return of Halo, but it couldn’t live up to the expectations, that’s why people started to hate it. Now that people are less hyped, it won’t be such a disappointment when it’s not as good as expected and this might eventually bring a more positive sound and redeem the image Halo has always had.

Opinions?

Bungie built the monolith that was the original halo franchise, 343 slipped and found themselves in a swift free fall. Nothing can save them now.

Lower expectations have never helped any game succeed.
Lower standards certainly help.

I don’t think standards are going to fall quite frankly. The amount of quality games on the market mean that Halo has to avoid being labeled an “inferior good.”

The best thing they can do is put the lightning back in the bottle… recapture what made Halo great. Of course recapturing lightning is difficult, but I feel this is more like trying to recapture a turtle we ironically named Lightning. We KNOW what the successful formula was. It gives you a great jumping off point for making a new installment that is hopefully less interested in being innovative for its own sake and more interested in knowing its franchise’s identity.

> Bungie built the monolith that was the original halo franchise, 343 slipped and found themselves in a swift free fall. Nothing can save them now.

Yet Halo 4 was decent.

Halo 5 being a fantastic Halo game will save Halo 5.

> > Bungie built the monolith that was the original halo franchise, 343 slipped and found themselves in a swift free fall. Nothing can save them now.
>
> Yet Halo 4 was decent.

> A lot of people I know think Halo 4 was a bad/failed game. Statistically, it is. Populations have dropped more than any other Halo game within such short amount of time, copies have been returned by thousands and people are saying they won’t buy the next Halo game.

That OP.

It won’t help the game sell. If people set their expectations low, the game would just be less of a disappointment, or more of a surprise. If people have lofty expectations, chances are they are going to get it right away. If they have low expectations, they’ll likely wait.

It’s simply not acceptable to lower standards when it comes to Halo.

To do so would be a rejection of the precursor.

The newer Halo must be at least on par with Halo 3 (which is IMO inferior to the Halo 1/Halo 2 experience) to be decent.

> Bungie built the monolith that was the original halo franchise, 343 slipped and found themselves in a swift free fall. Nothing can save them now.

Essentially this.

New technological marvels cannot sustain a game, especially if they’re still going to be prioritizing graphics, gimmicks, and aesthetics over gameplay and innovation.

How much lower could I set my expectations anymore? When it comes to Halo 4, I didn’t expect it to save Halo. Since our first glimpse of Infinity multiplayer, I knew to expect a game that would at best only entertain me in custom games with my friends where all the Infinity elements had been removed.

Setting our expectations lower doesn’t change anything. If I expect a game to be bad instead of mediocre, it doesn’t make the mediocre game any more enjoyable. All it does is make me less surprised.

As Ravens said, it’s not about our expectations, but our standards. We will only be happy if we get what we want. Setting our standards lower isn’t possible. Once we know what we want, it’s not possible to suddenly settle for less. So, the only way to save Halo is to make it what people want.

Better transparency would go a lot further than lowered expectations.

I agree with you in that 343/Halo 4 bit off more than they could chew… they kept it big and under-delivered. Instead of changing/adding five new things they should have added maybe two (and nailed them in terms of delivery execution).

Put it this way - I’m not buying an Xbox One unless I see good things from Halo 5. a BETA might help along these lines. Give it back to the community, 343, and let them be your guide.

actually my expectations will be higher than any Halo game before it, 343i needs to step up their game about 1000% when it comes to multiplayer. If there isn’t mind blowing amount of features then I’ve written off Halo for good. This is a AAA game that can propel Xbox One to be #1, they better dump a tonne of resources into making gamers ecstatic.

> > > Bungie built the monolith that was the original halo franchise, 343 slipped and found themselves in a swift free fall. Nothing can save them now.
> >
> > Yet Halo 4 was decent.
>
>
>
> > A lot of people I know think Halo 4 was a bad/failed game. Statistically, it is. Populations have dropped more than any other Halo game within such short amount of time, copies have been returned by thousands and people are saying they won’t buy the next Halo game.
>
> That OP.

It was a decent game. For a lot of people it was a disappointment, because it wasn’t good enough for them and their high standards/expectations.
I kept playing it, because I knew it wouldn’t be as good as the previius games. Unlike some of my friends, who stopped playing because “this games wasn’t as good as I expected it to be”. Same reason why I quit playing Crysis 3.

Halo could just be mediocre from now on and fade into the shadows so no one complains about it. Screw that I want Halo to be great.

My standards are already pretty low… Im nowhere near as excited for this Halo game as I was for Halo 4. 343i are going to need to give me a reason to be excited.

However, Bungie also laid the ice on road for 343 with Halo: Reach.

I would, however on that however, go straight to blaming Bungie - but 343i could have also brought Halo back to its roots (like how they said they would) instead of further muddying up the franchise.

> Halo could just be mediocre from now on and fade into the shadows so no one complains about it. Screw that I want Halo to be great.

Problem is, games like CoD can afford it to be mediocre. Halo however, with a small fanbase can’t.

it doesn’t matter. I had HIGH expectations for Halo 3 and it was amazing.

> it doesn’t matter. I had HIGH expectations for Halo 3 and it was amazing.

Same. Still wasn’t as good as Halo 2 or Reach though.

Absolutely not.

Lower expectations means less people giving the game a chance. The people with low expectations who do give the game a chance, are not going to like the game simply for meeting their low expectations. And if it surpasses their low expectations, then how is that better than if they had high expectations that were met?

Low expectations can only be a bad thing.

Just like high expectations.