I honestly think if Halo 2 and 3 were released today, they’d be rated T instead of M.
Sure the Flood does play a factor. But after:
- playing through the Uncharted games and fighting against undead enemies whilst hearing Nathan Drake say “s***” and “a**hole” every other word
- exploring tombs filled with decayed corpses
- seeing Arkham inmates being transformed and turned into abominations
- seeing the Joker’s blooded smile whilst holding a knife
- being haunted with disturbing images from Scarecrow
- as well as witnessing the dark lore of Horizon Zero Dawn
I can’t help but think that Halo Infinite could be as “mature” as Halo 2 and 3 and still get a T rating.
Which gives me a bit of hope that 343 isn’t held back when it comes to exploring dark themes and allowing the Flood to be in the game if the story calls for it.