Could Cortana beat Rampancy?

Do you think that it is possible that in the long run Cortana may actually beat Rampancy and achieve true metastability? Becoming more than just a smart A.I. and “curing” herself of rampancy and her limited lifespan?

considering Mendicant Bias (supposedly) beat his rampancy (although it took thousands of years apparently)…i would say that it’s possible.

let’s just hope she doesn’t run into the Timeless One any time soon (;

Well considering her lifespan is just about up (I think) She really has to. Ideally that would be part of one of the games stories, Chief helping Cortana by searching through some forerunner archives etc.

> let’s just hope she doesn’t run into the Timeless One any time soon (;

Hah. Good one. :stuck_out_tongue:

Good to see another Floodian, Jjab. :smiley:

Honestly I feel that if any human A.I. could achieve true metastability it would be Cortana.

> > let’s just hope she doesn’t run into the Timeless One any time soon (;
>
> Hah. Good one. :stuck_out_tongue:
>
>
> Good to see another Floodian, Jjab. :smiley:

:smiley:

> > let’s just hope she doesn’t run into the Timeless One any time soon (;
>
> Hah. Good one. :stuck_out_tongue:
>
>
> Good to see another Floodian, Jjab. :smiley:

heh, well i’m just thinking how much it would suck to see cortana lead an armada of ships against the UNSC…oh the horror (;

and hey, hes gotta be nicknamed the Timeless One for a reason right? heheh

Yes. Forerunner AIs can live thousands of years without going rampant, so surely a tech upgrade will slow her crazy down.

I reckon she will. No other human AI has done what Cortana has done, shes been inside a Halo’s systems and fought against the Gravemind trying to access her. She will have gleaned some knowledge along the way as to how she can stop her rampancy.

Yes, but even if that happens it won’t be a simple as here beating it. There’s going to be obvious conflict with this issue. It’s one of the core elements to the story.

Theoratically, yes.

After all:

• AI like Medicant Bias (and possibly 343 GS) have shown rampancy can be overcome
  • The life span of 7 years for a Smart AI basically is a theoretically one…nobody knows what happens after that exactly.
  • She’s been in contact with Gravemind, which brought her to a state close to rampancy (Human Weakness in Evolutions), yet she overcame that.
  • She’s been in very intimate contact with Forerunner technology, even hinted to be made up from parts of it (at the end of Reach for instance), and there is no telling what effect that might have on her ability to fight rampancy.

So although I think her struggle with rampancy will be in fact that: a struggle, I do feel her chances of overcoming that state are greater than those any other Human AI had before.

Yeah, I’m sure a huge chunk of the game will Chief trying to help her. Would be cool if Chief gets help from the Forerunners living on the world and they cure her of rampancy.

one needs to ask what causes rampancy…(thinking oneself to death after neural pattern loop and lack of comuti g power) and imagine how she could either gain stability or be upgraded

I speculate Cortana discovering Forerunner or precursor technology for enabling her to extend her lifetime and stability.

After all look at the monitors, they’re 10,000’s years old.

I think one of our missions as the Chief will be locating or retrieving or getting Cortana said technology.

While there may be a minor “rocky road” I just don’t see 343i pulling a Marathon of rampant AI again for the whole game.

> one needs to ask what causes rampancy…(thinking oneself to death after neural pattern loop and lack of comuti g power) and imagine how she could either gain stability or be upgraded

I think the point also needs to be made that Cortana was very close to rampancy (if not already in it) when the gravemind was attacking her systems and the Chief gave her stability again. In that case, he is one of the things which gives her that base to work from (mentally speaking) so as long as they don’t get separated again she should have some level to work in order to find a cure of sorts.

> Do you think that it is possible that in the long run Cortana may actually beat Rampancy and achieve true metastability? Becoming more than just a smart A.I. and “curing” herself of rampancy and her limited lifespan?

I believe so. For two reasons.

One reason is because, in game canon, the UNSC has had four years to research Forerunner and Covenant technology along side Huragok made specifically for the task.

The other reason is because Bungie is no longer attached to the game. Without Bungie being part of the project, their obsession with number seven goes out the window, thus allowing 343 to expand Cortana’s life.

Keep in mind that the novel “The Thursday War” has yet to come out. It could explain what has been happening with the Forerunner tech the UNSC has gained. For all we now Black box could become metastable

yes rampancy can be forestalled by bursts of emotion…cue Cortana + Chief romance

> Well considering her lifespan is just about up (I think) She really has to. Ideally that would be part of one of the games stories, Chief helping Cortana by searching through some forerunner archives etc.

Not really no, we don’t know how long a UNSC Smart AI could live on its own. The whole supposed 7 year lifespan thing is a misinterpretation the fans have made (and it seems that to some degree 343i has as well). AIs are deleted after seven years by the UNSC because that’s generally around when AIs start going rampant, but we don’t know how long an AI could live on their own…like for instance, the AI Juliana in the Cole Protocol for instance was older than seven years, we don’t know how much older though…

As to the question of the OP, yes, I think Cortana can easily conquer rampancy. IMO, from the information we’ve seen, she already has. She was pretty rampant in Halo 3 before Chief got her out of High Charity, and then she was practically back to normal again after he got her…now she probably still has stuff to work through to be completely stable I’m sure, but I think she’s well on her way out of rampancy.

> As to the question of the OP, yes, I think Cortana can easily conquer rampancy. IMO, from the information we’ve seen, she already has. She was pretty rampant in Halo 3 before Chief got her out of High Charity, and then she was practically back to normal again after he got her…now she probably still has stuff to work through to be completely stable I’m sure, but I think she’s well on her way out of rampancy.

I don’t know if her struggle is close to over, remember her glitchy state in Legends?