Cortana

OK so I’ve read a lot of topics on the campaign, on this and other forums. And while I agreed with a lot of bad comments to the story, I find myself changing direction. The add campaign was hunt the truth, which most seem to think refers to the chief.
Now let me throw this idea out there .
What if who we’ve seen is not actually cortana, what if it’s a copy, what if she’s being controlled or programmed to capture the chief and keep him safe , and activate the guardians. Because let’s face facts she’s not the cortana we all know and trust her personality is completely the opposite of how she was. Which leads to the next question, who hates the unsc and who would want to keep the chief safe, and why would cortana want to find the infinity . Halsey?

Also could the warden eternal be The lord of admirals ?

> 2533274793911549;2:
> Also could the warden eternal be The lord of admirals ?

Probably an AI that…Serves Cortana. Lord of Admirals was a human and was composed eons ago. His gia…Gea…Whatever was put into a few other humans, but I doubt Warden is him

The Didact didn’t die. Cortana and the Warden Eternal are close to repeating him verbatim through the campaign. Food for thought.

I’m very sure Master Chief is Forthencho. There was a line the Warden says to the Chief: “She’s knows what your name was before it was John-117.” I am certain he has the Geas of Forthencho, and the Librarian unlocked it in Halo 4.

I believe the hypothetical consensus is that the Cortana we are seeing is actually a rampant fragment (self proclaimed as cured) of her former self. If you remember in Halo 4 she split herself into many copies in order to restrain the Didact for the killing blow. It’s possible that what we’re seeing is simply a fraction of her former self from that engagement, or a certain fragment of a part of her original personality (like her crazy clingy side or something I dont know). It’s all up in the air, but my belief is that this is not entirely Cortana as we knew her pre-Halo 4.

Also, its equally possible that the Cortana that we know was already corrupted after the encounter she had with Gravemind in Halo: 3.

I was playing back through the original Halo 3 campaign and when she keeps popping up she is extremely… intense in the writings. At the time it only seemed as though she was reaching out to him but now thinking again and the locations he was at, they seem more like the visions he had when she told him in halo 5 where to find and locate her.

It’s possible that Cortana has been rampant ever since the events of Halo 2.

Even so, she had 4 years alone on the Forward Unto Dawn to plan and find her calling. Maybe her “death” in the exchange w/ her light shield vs the didact was a distractionary measure allowing her to escape.

So many possibilities…

Nah.

The re-addition of Cortana, in Halo 5 at least, is an awful idea. It completely ruins the idea that we get to see a damaged chief doing anything other than saving Cortana. Think about it, when has Chief not had to save Chief. Half of CE is about protecting Cortana. 2 and 3 are about saving her, 4 is about saving her from rampancy. Hell, even Reach was ultimately about saving Cortana, and getting her to Master Chief. I can take a game-long break from her, especially because I never really card much for her as a character. Perhaps that’s why Halo 4’s campaign didn’t tickle my fancy.

I think a campaign dedicated to just fighting the forerunners, with maybe a purple flicker and her voice in the legendary ending would have accomplished exactly what this game did, as far as Cortana is concerned. Focus on Locke vs Chief, and then them vs the Forerunners.

John

(if anyone gets this they are a hero)

> 2533274875412897;5:
> I’m very sure Master Chief is Forthencho. There was a line the Warden says to the Chief: “She’s knows what your name was before it was John-117.” I am certain he has the Geas of Forthencho, and the Librarian unlocked it in Halo 4.

This could also tie into what 343 GS said in Halo CE at the beginning of Two Betrayals:

Master Chief hesitates, and then turns to 343 Guilty Spark.

• Master Chief: “Is it true?”

• 343 Guilty Spark: (pauses) “More or less. Technically, this installation’s pulse has a maximum effective radius of twenty-five thousand light years. But, once the others follow suit, this galaxy will be quite devoid of life, or at least any life with sufficient biomass to sustain the Flood.” (Pause) “But you already knew that… I mean, how couldn’t you?

• Cortana: “Left out that little detail, did he?”

• 343 Guilty Spark: “We have followed outbreak containment procedure to the letter. You were with me each step of the way, as we managed this crisis.

• Cortana: (alarmed) “Chief, I’m picking up movement!”

• 343 Guilty Spark: “Why would you hesitate to do what you have already done?

• Cortana: (urgently) “We need to go, right now.”
    Four Sentinels float up behind 343 Guilty Spark, their beams aimed menacingly on the Chief.

• 343 Guilty Spark: “Last time, you asked me, if it were my choice, would I do it? Having had considerable time to ponder your query, my answer has not changed.
    Halo Follower did a video on this: Click here. Its a little over 7 minutes if you have the time.

And then again, at the end of the Halo 3 mission “Halo” right before you fight 343 GS:

• 343 Guilty Spark: (in hysterics) “Protocol dictates action! I see now that helping you was wrong!”
    The Arbiter, hearing the commotion, moves forward, and 343 Guilty Spark turns on him as well, unleashing his beam on him and knocking him out of the Control Room. (In single-player, the doors close, sealing the Arbiter out of the room) Spark blasts John again as he tries to get back up. With no shields protecting him this time, his armor starts to smoke.

• 343 Guilty Spark: (his eye turns back to blue) "You are the child of my makers. Inheritor of all they left behind. You are Forerunner! But this ring… (his eye turns red again)… is mine."Hopefully 343i blow our minds in Halo 6 and reveal the meanings of Bungie’s hinting 15 years in the making.

> 2533274883195859;10:
> > 2533274875412897;5:
> > I’m very sure Master Chief is Forthencho. There was a line the Warden says to the Chief: “She’s knows what your name was before it was John-117.” I am certain he has the Geas of Forthencho, and the Librarian unlocked it in Halo 4.
>
>
> This could also tie into what 343 GS said in Halo CE at the beginning of Two Betrayals:
>
> Master Chief hesitates, and then turns to 343 Guilty Spark.
>
> - Master Chief: “Is it true?”
>
> - 343 Guilty Spark: (pauses) “More or less. Technically, this installation’s pulse has a maximum effective radius of twenty-five thousand light years. But, once the others follow suit, this galaxy will be quite devoid of life, or at least any life with sufficient biomass to sustain the Flood.” (Pause) “But you already knew that… I mean, how couldn’t you?
>
> - Cortana: “Left out that little detail, did he?”
>
> - 343 Guilty Spark: “We have followed outbreak containment procedure to the letter. You were with me each step of the way, as we managed this crisis.
>
> - Cortana: (alarmed) “Chief, I’m picking up movement!”
>
> - 343 Guilty Spark: “Why would you hesitate to do what you have already done?
>
> - Cortana: (urgently) “We need to go, right now.”
> Four Sentinels float up behind 343 Guilty Spark, their beams aimed menacingly on the Chief.
>
> - 343 Guilty Spark: “Last time, you asked me, if it were my choice, would I do it? Having had considerable time to ponder your query, my answer has not changed.
> Halo Follower did a video on this: Click here. Its a little over 7 minutes if you have the time.
>
> And then again, at the end of the Halo 3 mission “Halo” right before you fight 343 GS:
>
>
>
> - 343 Guilty Spark: (in hysterics) “Protocol dictates action! I see now that helping you was wrong!”
> The Arbiter, hearing the commotion, moves forward, and 343 Guilty Spark turns on him as well, unleashing his beam on him and knocking him out of the Control Room. (In single-player, the doors close, sealing the Arbiter out of the room) Spark blasts John again as he tries to get back up. With no shields protecting him this time, his armor starts to smoke.
>
> - 343 Guilty Spark: (his eye turns back to blue) “You are the child of my makers. Inheritor of all they left behind. You are Forerunner! But this ring… (his eye turns red again)… is mine.”
> Hopefully 343i blow our minds in Halo 6 and reveal the meanings of Bungie’s hinting 15 years in the making.

You do know that Forthencho is the Lord of Admirals don’t you? Who you’re pointing out is Bornstellar (IsoDidact). The Bornstellar-Theory is one of my personal favorites in the Community (originally btw. was posted by another user and later picked up by Halo Follower).

Also there are hints that Cortana could actually know this. (Therefore know what the Chief was called, before he was John 117 [though she should also know his original family name as well, considering she knows most of what Halsey knows. Maybe it was even Cortana who redacted Johns family name from the ONI files. Because for what other reason would the rest of Blue Team’s Members still have theirs?])
If you watched the Halo Legends Origins Pt. 1 Episode, right at the beginning she says she finally understands John’s (or maybe human kind’s) role in the universe. Also in the visuals that come with it, we see Bornsteller and I think some Guardians.as well. With the information Cortana gathered on Halo, when she was attached to the first Halo Ring in CE, it could easily be imagined that she knows a lot about the Iso Didact, since it was him, firing the Rings. Also we don’t know what Cortana learned from the Gravemind…

But there’s something else I picked up on recently…

Do you guys remember the first hints at Cortana? They were called Cortana Letters back in the day and were basically a couple of e-mails send out by Bungie to the host of a Marathon fan-website. Actually what first happened was, that I randomly stumbled across the first one and realized that it sounds like it could have been a message from the new Cortana. You should really read up on these couple of mails. Especially the first two.

In the second letter she actually writes: “I’ve had the strangest dreams lately - raging seas, howling beasts, a Demon folded in black clouds. I believe I know what it guards, and I will have it, to the chagrin of the faith-blinded zealots that challenge me.” - hint at the Guardians?

This is the first E-Mail:

"I have walked the edge of the Abyss.
I have governed the unwilling.
I have witnessed countless empires break before me.
I have seen the most courageous soldiers fall away in fear.
[I was there with the Angel at the tomb.]
I have seen your future.
And I have learned.
There will be no more Sadness. No more Anger. No more Envy.

I HAVE WON.

Oh, and your poet Eliot had it all wrong,
THIS is the way the world ends.

A friend of a friend."

Now I don’t know what Bungie had in mind when writing these. but maybe 343i picked up on them and turned them into what Cortana is now? As someone who didn’t like the idea of Cortana being the villain, this little detail makes me really interested in what is to come… Who knows, maybe 343i is going for something better than what many fans seem to expect after Halo 5.

<mark>Do not post inappropriate comments.</mark>

I didn’t play the game yet, but I noticed her -Yoink!- got larger