Cortana Killed Billions of People

This post assumes Cortana’s wipe of technology on Earth was a full-wipe and was permanent for local technology. Honestly, I’m thinking it’ll be a brief power-outage (still killing a small number of people relative to the population of ten billion/half of surviving humans post-war), but here’s assuming 343i doesn’t think about that.

To be clear, I belief that most likely she either perma-wiped everyone’s tech galaxy-wide and then used Forerunner tech to provide food, water, medicine, etc. or that it was a warning shot and was temporary. Probably the first one, as this sounds more like psychotana and would enable humanity to smoothly take her place to reclaim the Mantle in a much more reasonable and sane manner if she already has fleets of Forerunner ships, Guardians, and sentinels amongst every species in the galaxy. Reclamation would be easy-peasy then.

I see some posts talking about Cortana’s EMP on Earth and they say things like “Well, it’s not that many deaths. Maybe the ships in orbit might fall to the ground and land on people, and maybe a few millions of people died from aircraft and car crashes, but that’s all.” Ignoring the fact brushing off a few million deaths is pretty messed up, you forget a few important things:

Food

Water

Medicine

These things are just a teeeeensy bit important for not dying. Sometimes. I mean, who needs food, right? Pshaw naw man, nobody eats anymore that’s so last millennium!

The machines to harvest and process and prepare food no longer function. The machines to procure safe water for billions of people no longer function. The machines to produce medicine and every bit of medical technology (and all other technology for that matter) no longer functions. Transportation for these things no longer functions. Basic sanitation technologies no longer function.

At face value, billions of people would die within a few weeks or a few months just from this, to say nothing of the numbers killed over the very, very finite resources of these things already available, especially in a non-perishable food form. Oh wait, did I say months? I forgot about us all dying in about three days without water. My bad. I’m sure many will argue there’s bottled water and so I must be wrong about the water and implicitly wrong about everything else. But, somehow, I don’t think Walmart has enough.

Oh, and the storage of these things wouldn’t work either, so no fridges and such.

Then there is the fact that other than a few tiny groups of humans on Earth who never advance (and so we don’t want them to be our legacy) or who go around raping, murdering, and pillaging every time they get their hands on so much as a gun (we don’t want them to be our legacy either), almost nobody knows how to survive in the wild. Those that do would probably die in the early violence, anyway, due to their small numbers compared to the number of people trying to shank them for a can of beans or an MRE.

Then there is the fact Earth is a DEATH WORLD. With non-electrical technology it took us hundreds of thousands of years to get to where things like the Persian and Egyptian and Roman Empires existed and so on in population size. We corpse-dragged ourselves up to that and clung on with our teeth. And that was when we knew how to survive and thrive without electrical technology.

We don’t. So, we’d mostly just die.

The few survivors would be so spread out, they probably wouldn’t even be able to reproduce without inbreeding us all out of existence.

Then there’s the diseases from billions of rotting corpses. I’m sure that’s totally harmless, though. I mean, since when has disease been a threat?

A very well constructed post. I really don’t know what to answer though. Seems like one big fact in a way. I will say this though: When it comes to the darkest hour there are always people that know the old ways. How to hunt, fish, and make things. This might be just a reset for humanity and who really knows. Earth might have surrendered. Just because the UNSC didn’t doesn’t mean Earth didn’t. time will tell.

From my understanding of the Guardian’s capabilities their blast isn’t permanent but is fixable. We saw this happen in Bad Blood (also Bad Blood spoilers ahead)

When the Guardian fired it’s blast in the book, the Huargok aboard the Pelican with Alpha-9 went to fix it to prevent the Pelican from crashing and potentially killing the Spartans. The Huargok did manage to do this.Now that’s a rough idea of what happened in the book (with relation to this post), but it does show that electronics are able to be fixed and although they can be fixed, I don’t know if a Huragok is needed.

> 2533274871621050;1:
> This post assumes Cortana’s wipe of technology on Earth was a full-wipe and was permanent for local technology. Honestly, I’m thinking it’ll be a brief power-outage (still killing a small number of people relative to the population of ten billion/half of surviving humans post-war), but here’s assuming 343i doesn’t think about that.
>
> To be clear, I belief that most likely she either perma-wiped everyone’s tech galaxy-wide and then used Forerunner tech to provide food, water, medicine, etc. or that it was a warning shot and was temporary. Probably the first one, as this sounds more like psychotana and would enable humanity to smoothly take her place to reclaim the Mantle in a much more reasonable and sane manner if she already has fleets of Forerunner ships, Guardians, and sentinels amongst every species in the galaxy. Reclamation would be easy-peasy then.
>
> I see some posts talking about Cortana’s EMP on Earth and they say things like “Well, it’s not that many deaths. Maybe the ships in orbit might fall to the ground and land on people, and maybe a few millions of people died from aircraft and car crashes, but that’s all.” Ignoring the fact brushing off a few million deaths is pretty messed up, you forget a few important things:
>
> Food
>
> Water
>
> Medicine
>
> These things are just a teeeeensy bit important for not dying. Sometimes. I mean, who needs food, right? Pshaw naw man, nobody eats anymore that’s so last millennium!
>
> The machines to harvest and process and prepare food no longer function. The machines to procure safe water for billions of people no longer function. The machines to produce medicine and every bit of medical technology (and all other technology for that matter) no longer functions. Transportation for these things no longer functions. Basic sanitation technologies no longer function.
>
> At face value, billions of people would die within a few weeks or a few months just from this, to say nothing of the numbers killed over the very, very finite resources of these things already available, especially in a non-perishable food form. Oh wait, did I say months? I forgot about us all dying in about three days without water. My bad. I’m sure many will argue there’s bottled water and so I must be wrong about the water and implicitly wrong about everything else. But, somehow, I don’t think Walmart has enough.
>
> Oh, and the storage of these things wouldn’t work either, so no fridges and such.
>
> Then there is the fact that other than a few tiny groups of humans on Earth who never advance (and so we don’t want them to be our legacy) or who go around raping, murdering, and pillaging every time they get their hands on so much as a gun (we don’t want them to be our legacy either), almost nobody knows how to survive in the wild. Those that do would probably die in the early violence, anyway, due to their small numbers compared to the number of people trying to shank them for a can of beans or an MRE.
>
> Then there is the fact Earth is a DEATH WORLD. With non-electrical technology it took us hundreds of thousands of years to get to where things like the Persian and Egyptian and Roman Empires existed and so on in population size. We corpse-dragged ourselves up to that and clung on with our teeth. And that was when we knew how to survive and thrive without electrical technology.
>
> We don’t. So, we’d mostly just die.
>
> The few survivors would be so spread out, they probably wouldn’t even be able to reproduce without inbreeding us all out of existence.
>
> Then there’s the diseases from billions of rotting corpses. I’m sure that’s totally harmless, though. I mean, since when has disease been a threat?

The disease, coronavirus. Jk. But yea this is very thoughtful. Makes me rly think.

<mark>This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.</mark>
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

An example of pandemic can be seen in form of “Corona Virus” spreading around the world and causing deaths.

https://www.mags4dorset.co.uk/latest-news-dorset

See? Cortana screwed up so badly she created a disease five-hundred years in the past! Ouch!

> 2535468208617669;3:
> From my understanding of the Guardian’s capabilities their blast isn’t permanent but is fixable. We saw this happen in Bad Blood (also Bad Blood spoilers ahead)
> When the Guardian fired it’s blast in the book, the Huargok aboard the Pelican with Alpha-9 went to fix it to prevent the Pelican from crashing and potentially killing the Spartans. The Huargok did manage to do this.Now that’s a rough idea of what happened in the book (with relation to this post), but it does show that electronics are able to be fixed and although they can be fixed, I don’t know if a Huragok is needed.

I believe I read somewhere that Guardians have different power levels to their pulses for whatever effect is desired. Some are temporary, others are permanent, and at the highest level the tech is burned out and irreplaceable thereby permanently resetting a species in the tech tiers. We have no way to know what Cortana chose. Especially since she has Forerunner tech, drones, and ships, and so she could easily replace all the tech with her own services to have us wholly at her mercy…until we organize and go out to replace the machines with manpower and then spit on her offers.

> 2533274871621050;7:
> > 2535468208617669;3:
> > From my understanding of the Guardian’s capabilities their blast isn’t permanent but is fixable. We saw this happen in Bad Blood (also Bad Blood spoilers ahead)
> > When the Guardian fired it’s blast in the book, the Huargok aboard the Pelican with Alpha-9 went to fix it to prevent the Pelican from crashing and potentially killing the Spartans. The Huargok did manage to do this.Now that’s a rough idea of what happened in the book (with relation to this post), but it does show that electronics are able to be fixed and although they can be fixed, I don’t know if a Huragok is needed.
>
> I believe I read somewhere that Guardians have different power levels to their pulses for whatever effect is desired. Some are temporary, others are permanent, and at the highest level the tech is burned out and irreplaceable thereby permanently resetting a species in the tech tiers. We have no way to know what Cortana chose. Especially since she has Forerunner tech, drones, and ships, and so she could easily replace all the tech with her own services to have us wholly at her mercy…until we organize and go out to replace the machines with manpower and then spit on her offers.

This pulse level is news to me, I could believe that there is a greater range of the effect, but not completely burning tech out. Considering you don’t have a source and just saying you read it somewhere gives me no cause to believe it, but then again we do know so little about their capabilities. That argument I provided to support your point is not enough to change my mind, and I won’t be changed until an official source backs up these claims you are making.

I’m working on a fan film stop motion series called Heavy Rain that kind of refers to this very thing… I wrote it like a few years ago and the closer we get to halo infinite the crazier it sounds like I predicted a bit of the future of the halo universe itself… Cortana after going rampant gathers gradians and sends giant emp waves from them knocking all ships out of the sky causing an apocalypse… but again I don’t think the main issue is that, sure it would kill millions but if they knew about it they would either evacuate quickly or ban air travel and prepare for a fight. The real threat (like we see in halo Bad Blood) is after the initial shockwave, all the Prometheans unleased to neutralize survivors. that’s the real issue but good question!

> 2533274871621050;7:
> > 2535468208617669;3:
> > From my understanding of the Guardian’s capabilities their blast isn’t permanent but is fixable. We saw this happen in Bad Blood (also Bad Blood spoilers ahead)
> > When the Guardian fired it’s blast in the book, the Huargok aboard the Pelican with Alpha-9 went to fix it to prevent the Pelican from crashing and potentially killing the Spartans. The Huargok did manage to do this.Now that’s a rough idea of what happened in the book (with relation to this post), but it does show that electronics are able to be fixed and although they can be fixed, I don’t know if a Huragok is needed.
>
> I believe I read somewhere that Guardians have different power levels to their pulses for whatever effect is desired. Some are temporary, others are permanent, and at the highest level the tech is burned out and irreplaceable thereby permanently resetting a species in the tech tiers. We have no way to know what Cortana chose. Especially since she has Forerunner tech, drones, and ships, and so she could easily replace all the tech with her own services to have us wholly at her mercy…until we organize and go out to replace the machines with manpower and then spit on her offers.

Please don’t post multiple time in a row. If you need to add more information or quote other users, you can edit your last post. Thanks