Cortana Going Rampant...or No? SPOILERS!

Does anyone really think Cortana is going rampant? Sure there is her SAYING she is…but maybe not. She says she is the only AI created from living tissue, so that makes her unique, also she has been in direct contact with the Gravemind, and defeated active Forerunner computers (talking about on the Diadacts Ship) and she has had more contact with Forerunner and Covenant tech than any other UNSC AI ever, maybe she is just evolving.

She says it herself that its like a thousand of hers arguing at once. The way books describe rampancy it is described more like the AI’s processor is like a merry-go-round that spins faster and faster and faster until it unhinges itself and crashes but Cortana isnt being described like that.

What other computer beings are described like ‘a thousand conglomerated minds’? --Forerunner Contender Class AI’s like Mendicant Bias and Offensive Bias.

Maybe Cortana isnt going through rampancy, but more like growing pains until she can get her ‘thousand of me’ under control?

The ability for Cortana to split her intellect up was gained from a Covenant AI, which the Covenant scavenged from Forerunner tech (Halo: First Strike) Where she initially used it to help the Chief destroy the ‘Unyielding Hyrophant’ then again she split up at the end of Halo 4. So her coding is already influenced with Forerunner tech.

Or maybe ALL Smart AI’s would eventually become like Contender AI’s, but the UNSC decommissioned them once they became useless and a liability instead of seeing it through to the end.

> Does anyone really think Cortana is going rampant? Sure there is her SAYING she is…but maybe not. She says she is the only AI created from living tissue, so that makes her unique, also she has been in direct contact with the Gravemind, and defeated active Forerunner computers (talking about on the Diadacts Ship) and she has had more contact with Forerunner and Covenant tech than any other UNSC AI ever, maybe she is just evolving.
>
> She says it herself that its like a thousand of hers arguing at once. The way books describe rampancy it is described more like the AI’s processor is like a merry-go-round that spins faster and faster and faster until it unhinges itself and crashes but Cortana isnt being described like that.
>
> What other computer beings are described like ‘a thousand conglomerated minds’? --Forerunner Contender Class AI’s like Mendicant Bias and Offensive Bias.
>
> Maybe Cortana isnt going through rampancy, but more like growing pains until she can get her ‘thousand of me’ under control?
>
> The ability for Cortana to split her intellect up was gained from a Covenant AI, which the Covenant scavenged from Forerunner tech (Halo: First Strike) Where she initially used it to help the Chief destroy the ‘Unyielding Hyrophant’ then again she split up at the end of Halo 4. So her coding is already influenced with Forerunner tech.
>
> Or maybe ALL Smart AI’s would eventually become like Contender AI’s, but the UNSC decommissioned them once they became useless and a liability instead of seeing it through to the end.

Interesting idea its rather interesting you point this out considering both that the Gravemind compared itself to the contender A.I.s and the gravemind was a hivemind creature. So considering Cortana is a organic based A.I. your theory almost puts her as a perfect hybrid between the organic side of hivemind like the Gravemind and the A.I. capabilities like of the contender A.I.s. Very interesting post.

I think its definately going to be part of the story. The Chief is evolving, the Librarian said ‘we need to accelerate your genetic progress’ or something like that, so it makes sense Cortana would evolve too.

Also as a note, the main problem the Forerunners ran into with the composer was they never figured out how to UNcompose their subjects, what they got as a result was the prometheans. Cortana on the other hand, figured it out.

At the end Chief blows himself up with the nuke, at that moment Cortana composes him into digital space, she is able to physically touch him and the fact he was composed is also upheld by the statements ‘How…?’ ‘So how do we get out of here?’ and ‘Most of me is down there…’

Chief wouldnt say ‘how do we get out of here’ if it was just a hard light shield or teleport, and Cortana wouldn’t say ‘most of me is down there’ if she was referring to two feet away outside the field.

Furthermore chief has gravity in the digital space he is in, then when he is uncomposed he loses gravity and is weightless in space again.

Shows again Cortana is evolving even surpassing the Forerunners.

gotta love the spoiler after the title.

> gotta love the spoiler after the title.

If you’re referring to the title being a spoiler in itself, 343i stated that Halo 4 would be a game dedicated to the relationship between the Chief and Cortana and her dealing with rampancy so not a spoiler.

She had gone rampant already in Halo 4 (obviously) and Cortana deleted herself at the end of the game. Evidently avoiding deletion by routine, and soft talking Master Chief she was going to be OK, but it was really a good bye and farewell.

Cortana is indeed dead. I think people are shocked about it, and in disbelief, but she is actually now gone. Gone. It’s over. You don’t spend 3+ years on a game to make a lousy story line. Her death is just as serious as the game intended.

Now suffer as master chief is, and live with it.