Correlating Halo Lore

So, as an admitted Lore Nerd (and probable Bungie/343i apologist), I’ve always taken issue with some of the inconsistencies in canon across the Haloverse. There are some biggies (Chief and Cortana were together HOW long, exactly?), and some little things (really, Forge was the first human to use a Covie energy sword?).

As a self-described Lore Nerd, I’ve always wanted one cohesive, comprehensive, unifying storyline. Retcon if we must, because, as they say, “the devil is in the details” (or in the case of Halo, the Demon).

What are the biggest storyline discrepancies that you’ve come across? The idea here is to catalogue them, and (perhaps as a team) streamline everything into one coherent, inconsistency-free narrative. Hey, maybe we can present it to 343, and get an award…or…or something. Hey, we could get famous. Girls, money, shaving ads, you name it.

On your marks, get set, go!

Reach , Reach , Reach. The invasion does not satisfactorily gel.

> 2535465364486894;2:
> Reach , Reach , Reach. The invasion does not satisfactorily gel.

Expound?

The invasion of Reach between the game and book has been documented to death. 343 actually tried cleaning it up with “Data Drops” to fuse the two stories. Basically, Reach was secretly invaded for an entire month . The Navy and Marines were kept unaware on the other side of the planet for one month while pretty devastating incidents happened. That is not believable in the modern day , let alone 500 years in the future. There is also a discrepancy in the amount of ships that were invaded and how destroyed Reach was after the fact.

> 2533274829152751;5:
> List of inconsistencies in Halo

Link

Good idea for a thread. Here’s my rant about one particular discrepancy affecting Halo lore:

Parangosky deeming the Spartan-II program unethical makes no practical sense, considering she co-signed the Spartan-III program, which not only is a lot like the S-II program, but also had the very intended goal of sending augmented kids to their deaths. At least the Spartan-IIs were not thought of a canon fodder.

Karen Traviss would probably say that Parangosky took issue with the flash clones, but I’d reply part of the idea behind it was to try and give the families some closure. Didn’t work out very well, granted, but I don’t think the Spartan-III program fared much better in that regard.

Also, Parangosky runs -Yoink!-ing ONI, not Amnesty International. She probably spends her time doing much worse stuff than that (e.g. as I pointed out, the S-III program), and she knows that just like in any secret service, some of her own people are doing things behind her back. So if she gets upset with Halsey using clones over thirty years ago, I don’t see how she managed to be CINCONI for all those years with such thin skin.

Yet in the Kilo-Five trilogy, here she is basically spending all her time saying “won’t somebody think of the children??”.

Some will say it has more to do with character development than lore, but the fact that she never even thinks of the S-III program or that no one - not even Halsey, who’s read about the program in Ackerson’s files - reminds her of that particular fact leads me to think that Traviss simply did not know that Parangosky co-signed it.

That’s what makes it, to me, the most infuriating discrepancy in the whole universe; it serves as pretty much the basis for all the Halsey hate during a whole trilogy of books, and yet it makes no sense to those who know of the origins of the Spartan-IIIs. And short of saying Parangosky has amnesia, there’s no way to fix it.

And on a completely unrelated topic : why on Earth are there still animals roaming the Ark in Hunters in the Dark as early as 2553? The Master Chief did activate Installation 04B in the very orbit of the Ark, did he not? Having a nervous system should qualify those animals for complete annihilation. There’s no way Solitude bred them and had them grow to full maturity in a short few months. And if they’re still around despite that, what reasons does the UNSC have to believe the Flood was destroyed as well? Nothing in the novel made much sense, but this was probably my biggest issue with it.

I knew reach was going to be brought up quick…

> 2533274885864039;1:
> Chief and Cortana were together HOW long, exactly?

I don’t think there’s an inconsistency here.

> 2533274946753626;7:
> why on Earth are there still animals roaming the Ark in Hunters in the Dark as early as 2553? The Master Chief did activate Installation 04B in the very orbit of the Ark, did he not? Having a nervous system should qualify those animals for complete annihilation. There’s no way Solitude bred them and had them grow to full maturity in a short few months. And if they’re still around despite that, what reasons does the UNSC have to believe the Flood was destroyed as well? Nothing in the novel made much sense, but this was probably my biggest issue with it.

Two things:

• We don’t know how effective the actual pulse was given that the ring also exploded. Spark mentioned the ring would be ready to fire in days The ring was exploding as it was charging up, not really a sign of reliable firing.
  • While halo legends may be a bit liberal with its artistic depictions, it does show the forerunners popping out fully grown entities from their machines.

> 2533274964189700;8:
> I knew reach was going to be brought up quick…
>
>
>
>
> > 2533274885864039;1:
> > Chief and Cortana were together HOW long, exactly?
>
>
> I don’t think there’s an inconsistency here.
>
>
>
>
> > 2533274946753626;7:
> > why on Earth are there still animals roaming the Ark in Hunters in the Dark as early as 2553? The Master Chief did activate Installation 04B in the very orbit of the Ark, did he not? Having a nervous system should qualify those animals for complete annihilation. There’s no way Solitude bred them and had them grow to full maturity in a short few months. And if they’re still around despite that, what reasons does the UNSC have to believe the Flood was destroyed as well? Nothing in the novel made much sense, but this was probably my biggest issue with it.
>
>
> Two things:
>
> - We don’t know how effective the actual pulse was given that the ring also exploded. Spark mentioned the ring would be ready to fire in days The ring was exploding as it was charging up, not really a sign of reliable firing.
> - While halo legends may be a bit liberal with its artistic depictions, it does show the forerunners popping out fully grown entities from their machines.

Regarding the actual pulse, we indeed do not know. However, we do know that it should have been sufficient to wipe the Ark clean, otherwise firing it would have been completely pointless. If the firing was deemed not reliable, that would mean the Flood potentially survived and ONI would not even dream of sending a ground team with those odds.

You make a fair point, Legends does indeed show such a thing. Frankie did say it was based off Cortana’s imagination and what data she had access to, and as you pointed out it may be seen as artistic license.

But if Solitude reintroduced full-grown animals to the Ark, then the author should have either explain it, or have the characters wonder about it as well.

When it comes to consistency, I have a golden rule : if the reader can ask themselves a specific question, any character with enough information to ask themselves this very question should do so as well. Whether they answer it is a different thing, but at least show us that the characters are wondering how it’s possible for the Ark’s wildlife to recover so fast.

Everyone in 2555 is questionning how the Ark repaired itself on its own, but no one in March 2553 - a mere four months after the firing of the ring - is surprised at finding full-grown animals roaming around. Most unsatisfactory in my opinion.

> 2533274829152751;5:
> http://www.halopedia.org/List_of_inconsistencies_in_the_Halo_series

I have always loved halopedia, even though I don’t play a part in it myself.

> 2535450453445225;6:
> > 2533274829152751;5:
> > List of inconsistencies in Halo
>
>
> Link

Beat me to it lol

I have 2. There’s physically no way possible the flood infested High Charity made it to the Ark. And the warthog run is over twice as long as the entire length of the PoA, and hangars are also in the middle of the ship. So the warthog run in game is 3-4 times longer than it should be and that’s still ignoring the fact that you could drive a warthog straight through a cramped spaceship