Cool idea for the next Halo: Melee Combos

For the past week I’ve been reading The Thursday War and, as usual, reading a Halo book gets me all pumped up to play Halo. I went into Spartan Ops and started feeling all bad -Yoink-, being in the shoes of a Spartan. However, I noticed how boring it was to monotonously punch Grunt after Grunt in the face very casually and systematically. I thought “that’s not how Spartans do hand-to-hand in the books.” I immediately thought of Warhammer 40k: Space Marine with all of its glorious melee-y goodness. That game pulled off the perfect combination of shooter and hack’n’slash. I thought that Halo could implement a similar melee combo system not only to break the monotony of its very basic melees, but to make you feel more like a Spartan. Just look at the way they pull off assassinations and then watch what a standard melee kill looks like in third-person. Come on.

Its an ok idea but dont think its really needed. However it would be interesting to see an assassination in first person

They don’t necessarily have to be combos in the fighting game sense. It could simply be a “chain” of different animations when meleeing multiple enemies, like punching a face then kicking down another enemy, then shoulder-bashing the third, etc.

They tried to implement it in Halo 2, but it was abandoned for unknown reasons. Possibly time constraints.

Wont happen Im afraid. The games a shooter not a melee one, so the focus is on gun action not fist fighting. It works in Space Marine because thats exactly how SM are expected to fight.

There was the same kind of debate with Crysis 2 beta>retail. Beta had 1hk melee on unarmored targets, 2hk on armored. The devs got whingy kiddies making constant complaint threads over and over that they decided to change it to 2hk/3hk. It ruined what was otherwise a fluid combat style. In Halo’s regard I think it would shift the focus to much towards CQB, with big groups just running at one another to melee fight.

> Wont happen Im afraid. The games a shooter not a melee one, so the focus is on gun action not fist fighting. It works in Space Marine because thats exactly how SM are expected to fight.
>
> There was the same kind of debate with Crysis 2 beta>retail. Beta had 1hk melee on unarmored targets, 2hk on armored. The devs got whingy kiddies making constant complaint threads over and over that they decided to change it to 2hk/3hk. It ruined what was otherwise a fluid combat style. In Halo’s regard I think it would shift the focus to much towards CQB, with big groups just running at one another to melee fight.

I’m talking mostly about PVE. In PVP modes, it wouldn’t be much of a deal anyway since you’d have to two-hit kill someone before you moved on. In PVE, it takes one melee on most difficulties to kill enemies like Grunts and Jackals.

And that is how Spartans fight. In close quarters, they don’t make waste of that top-dollar power suit that lets them punch through solid metal.

If I did a double beat down and uppercutted some Red Spartan fool out, that would be spectacular.

Call the medal Knock Out. Fun times.

I would love to see the return of a BLB or BXB combo. Halo 3, Reach, and 4 have the most stale, straightforward, cqc gameplay. It would be nice to see some depth and skill returned to the melee portion of the “golden triangle”

i think there should be an option to stow both your weapons and pull out your knife, allowing you to melee slightly faster and do cooler looking animations.

> i think there should be an option to stow both your weapons and pull out your knife, allowing you to melee slightly faster and do cooler looking animations.

Medal of Honor style?

Meleeing while jumping could turn into a kick, maybe.

These are all pretty good ideas, guys. Thanks. I just want SOMETHING other than these bland old melees. Assassinations were one step in the right direction, now it just needs to go the whole way.

> They tried to implement it in Halo 2, but it was abandoned for unknown reasons. Possibly time constraints.

Probably.

What about a special takedown animation when you’re jumping in front of you’re enemy but they don’t have the health or shields to counter the melee, or perhaps when you’re directly below a small ledge and a enemy w/o shield/health is on top and you pull them down or something. That’d be cool.

> Meleeing while jumping could turn into a kick, maybe.

thats a good one.

and as for the melee combo.

I’d like that,:slight_smile:

I like this idea,but I feel that it may be hard to successfully execute. Also incase you didn’t know, melee combos were going to be in Halo 2.