Controversy Hurts Games

Like, think about it. What’s the one thing that would turn you off from trying a game out? I know for me, that’s if there were a huge stink surrounding a game. The developer made a decision for financial reasons that put a bad taste in a lot of people’s mouths. I hear about that with other games, and it doesn’t make me want to play them. In this sense, the decision to monetize armor color is hurting 343’s ability to monetize this game. Any controversy is going to turn people off, this is a big one. YouTube comments are full of this. Think about it, a system where you could pick individual armor piece colors. It would be insanely good! Everybody would want to play it! And to the concern that it would make people less interested in coatings, I think the armor coatings are so good that people would still be buying them regardless of the addition of an individual armor color system. The coatings look fantastic all around. They WILL sell. (I know they’re unlockable too, but we’re talking financials here. That’s what I’ve heard everyone talking about with this, so I wanted to drop my 2 cents in.) This makes the armor coatings that much more special too, because people wouldn’t be relying on them for their colors, and these are fancy designs that can’t be made with this system. It’s extra color cosmetics, not the only color cosmetics. Perfect for monetization. But what about Scorpion Punch? Couldn’t people just make their own version? I think we should add some colors to it that wouldn’t be possible with a simple pick your own armor piece color system, they’ve done that with a lot of these coatings that are very complex. I could see Scorpion Punch with some red additions dispersed over the Steel color palette. Either that or remove it. This a huge opportunity, and if they can make it work, they will massively bolster the success of this game. Remove the controversy. 343, please add a system where we can choose the individual armor piece colors for free. I stand by the belief that it would make you more money in the long run, and it would make so many people happy. This game is amazing. Make it incredible

It’s unfortunate perhaps, to some at least, that they’re going this route, but I don’t think it’s going to be as big a turnoff as you think. The hype surrounding this game is massive, gameplay was super well received, as was the style of the customization. The coatings, and unlock system in general, are probably an area where 343 know it’s safe to cut their losses and push what they wanted.

While I agree on principle, it should be noted that Infinite actually has less controversy around it than the last (few) game(s). So far, that is.
I don’t like the reduced customization either, but it’s a lot less disgusting of a monetization scheme as Pay2WinZone with its RNG-Lootbox system were.
That being said, H5G was the worst-selling and worst-populated “Halo” game since the original, so this isn’t that particular high of a bar to compare yourself to…

> 2533274801176260;3:
> While I agree on principle, it should be noted that Infinite actually has less controversy around it than the last (few) game(s). So far, that is.
> I don’t like the reduces customization either, but it’s a lot less disgusting of a monetization scheme as Pay2WinZone with its RNG-Lootbox system were.
> That being said, H5G was the worst-selling and worst-populated “Halo” game since the original, so this isn’t that particular high of a bar to compare yourself to…

I agree, and I just want to see them take it one step farther. It would be insane

> 2533274926527272;2:
> It’s unfortunate perhaps, to some at least, that they’re going this route, but I don’t think it’s going to be as big a turnoff as you think. The hype surrounding this game is massive, gameplay was super well received, as was the style of the customization. The coatings, and unlock system in general, are probably an area where 343 know it’s safe to cut their losses and push what they wanted.

Yeah, totally. It’s been a massive success so far, but that’s why it’s so frustrating for me to see them not take it one step farther to push it over the edge. Could you imagine the hype then?

> 2533274926527272;2:
> It’s unfortunate perhaps, to some at least, that they’re going this route, but I don’t think it’s going to be as big a turnoff as you think. The hype surrounding this game is massive, gameplay was super well received, as was the style of the customization. The coatings, and unlock system in general, are probably an area where 343 know it’s safe to cut their losses and push what they wanted.

yes I think exactly the same as you.