Controls Concern

I noticed that on one or more of the control schemes, B is for Crouch. This can only work if crouch is a toggle. Does that mean Crouch would also be a toggle on the analog stick? Because it that’s the case, then I’m kind of ticked off. Also, I think I’ve seen LT being used for Zoom, does that mean that we would have to hold the analog stick as well? Again, I’d be ticked off. Sprint is also on the stick for some schemes which ticks me off the most. We should at least have options for the toggled and held features. What do you guys think about this?

I still haven’t seen a single control scheme that I like. I’ve seen one that I’d be ok with, but not completely comfortable with.

Here’s my ideal control scheme, and whether I’d want certain functions to be toggled or not:

RT - Fire Weapon
RB - Sprint (Hold)
LT - Throw Grenade
LB - Armor Ability
RS - Aim/Zoom (Toggle Zoom)
LS - Move/Crouch (Hold Crouch)
Y - Switch Weapon
X - Reload/Interact
B - Melee
A - Jump
D-Pad - Switch Grenade

Thoughts??

Crouch has been toggleable since Halo 3; it is just an option. When you zoom in on a weapon, if you keep the stick held down, it acts as “hold to zoom.”

> Crouch has been toggleable since Halo 3; it is just an option. When you zoom in on a weapon, if you keep the stick held down, it acts as “hold to zoom.”

Hmm, didn’t know that.

I’m pretty sure the crouch function will still have an option to be held down. It’s just that with the default control scheme having the crouch function on the B button, it would make sense for it to be a toggle. It wouldnt feel natural holding the B button to crouch while not being able to aim with the right analog stick.

I also find that clicking the left analog stick to sprint is the most natural choice, for me at least. Playing Battlefield 3 a lot made me really like the stick being the sprint function.

I think I like most will find a way to adapt to the new Default…as I always have. It is annoying when friends come over and switch it to Recon then I die the next game because I can not melee >.<

> I noticed that on one or more of the control schemes, B is for Crouch. This can only work if crouch is a toggle. Does that mean Crouch would also be a toggle on the analog stick? Because it that’s the case, then I’m kind of ticked off. Also, I think I’ve seen LT being used for Zoom, does that mean that we would have to hold the analog stick as well? Again, I’d be ticked off. Sprint is also on the stick for some schemes which ticks me off the most. We should at least have options for the toggled and held features. What do you guys think about this?
>
> I still haven’t seen a single control scheme that I like. I’ve seen one that I’d be ok with, but not completely comfortable with.
>
> Here’s my ideal control scheme, and whether I’d want certain functions to be toggled or not:
>
> RT - Fire Weapon
> RB - Sprint (Hold)
> LT - Throw Grenade
> LB - Armor Ability
> RS - Aim/Zoom (Toggle Zoom)
> LS - Move/Crouch (Hold Crouch)
> Y - Switch Weapon
> X - Reload/Interact
> B - Melee
> A - Jump
> D-Pad - Switch Grenade
>
>
> Thoughts??

Lol, this is my “Jack of All Trades” layout too!
https://forums.halo.xbox.com/yaf_postst95541_What-s-Your--Ideal--Button-Layout.aspx

343i has said that the controls schemes are not finalized/subject for change. Im curious to see what it turns out to be as the default.

Having crouch on a face button is bad. It takes away two things from gameplay: gandhi hopping and crouch jumping. The first isn’t that big of a deal even though I do it all the time. But crouch jumping is very important for map movement.
I’ve been saying that sprint needs to be controlled by the D-pad.

I don’t understand why people like playing with control schemes like other games have. One person said they will be playing with the default because they got used to BF3(or something like that), well this is Halo, its a different game. I want to feel like I’m playing a different game from the last, I don’t want them to feel the same, because then they’ll get stale. I usually use the default control schemes when playing a new game, no matter how awkward they feel, I’ll get used to them. But, Halo 4’s default scheme just looks like it belongs to another game like COD or BF or medal of honor, because those games all have similar feels. Halo’s always been the game that feels the most different to me, and that’s one of the reasons why its my favorite game. Its different and it works perfectly and it was Halo’s feel.

> I think I like most will find a way to adapt to the new Default…as I always have. It is annoying when friends come over and switch it to Recon then I die the next game because I can not melee >.<

I, like some of us, won’t need to adapt to any default control scheme… thanks to a little secret weapon which I have acquired.

> > I think I like most will find a way to adapt to the new Default…as I always have. It is annoying when friends come over and switch it to Recon then I die the next game because I can not melee >.<
>
> I, like some of us, won’t need to adapt to any default control scheme… thanks to a little secret weapon which I have acquired.

You got mods or something? A modded controller?

love the control scheme, hope there is something similar in the final game

ill probably end up just not crouching o_O

> > > I think I like most will find a way to adapt to the new Default…as I always have. It is annoying when friends come over and switch it to Recon then I die the next game because I can not melee >.<
> >
> > I, like some of us, won’t need to adapt to any default control scheme… thanks to a little secret weapon which I have acquired.
>
> You got mods or something? A modded controller?

Nope, I don’t have mods of any kind. Besides, only kids play with modded controllers.

No, what I have is something far greater than that. It’s a device which allows me to break free of the bonds tying us to the xbox controller which I despise so much… and the best part? It doesn’t violate the Xbox LIVE ToS.

> > > > I think I like most will find a way to adapt to the new Default…as I always have. It is annoying when friends come over and switch it to Recon then I die the next game because I can not melee >.<
> > >
> > > I, like some of us, won’t need to adapt to any default control scheme… thanks to a little secret weapon which I have acquired.
> >
> > You got mods or something? A modded controller?
>
> Nope, I don’t have mods of any kind. Besides, only kids play with modded controllers.
>
> No, what I have is something far greater than that. It’s a device which allows me to break free of the bonds tying us to the xbox controller which I despise so much… and the best part? It doesn’t violate the Xbox LIVE ToS.

Doesn’t sound like something I’d use, but you got me interested anyway. Could you explain a little more?

> > > > > I think I like most will find a way to adapt to the new Default…as I always have. It is annoying when friends come over and switch it to Recon then I die the next game because I can not melee >.<
> > > >
> > > > I, like some of us, won’t need to adapt to any default control scheme… thanks to a little secret weapon which I have acquired.
> > >
> > > You got mods or something? A modded controller?
> >
> > Nope, I don’t have mods of any kind. Besides, only kids play with modded controllers.
> >
> > No, what I have is something far greater than that. It’s a device which allows me to break free of the bonds tying us to the xbox controller which I despise so much… and the best part? It doesn’t violate the Xbox LIVE ToS.
>
> Doesn’t sound like something I’d use, but you got me interested anyway. Could you explain a little more?

He’s probably using the Razer Onza controller which gives you two extra bumpers and the ability to freely map your controls.

> > > > > > I think I like most will find a way to adapt to the new Default…as I always have. It is annoying when friends come over and switch it to Recon then I die the next game because I can not melee >.<
> > > > >
> > > > > I, like some of us, won’t need to adapt to any default control scheme… thanks to a little secret weapon which I have acquired.
> > > >
> > > > You got mods or something? A modded controller?
> > >
> > > Nope, I don’t have mods of any kind. Besides, only kids play with modded controllers.
> > >
> > > No, what I have is something far greater than that. It’s a device which allows me to break free of the bonds tying us to the xbox controller which I despise so much… and the best part? It doesn’t violate the Xbox LIVE ToS.
> >
> > Doesn’t sound like something I’d use, but you got me interested anyway. Could you explain a little more?
>
> He’s probably using the Razer Onza controller which gives you two extra bumpers and the ability to freely map your controls.

Well then, I think I’ll look into that. Not sure if its worth not using the Halo4 XBOX 360 controllers though.

> He’s probably using the Razer Onza controller which gives you two extra bumpers and the ability to freely map your controls.

Wrong… I have no need for such a useless contraption. You should pay closer attention to this paragraph.

> No, what I have is something far greater than that. It’s a device which <mark>allows me to break free of the bonds tying us to the xbox controller</mark> which I despise so much… and the best part? It doesn’t violate the Xbox LIVE ToS.

I no longer have to play with a controller of ANY KIND, and what I’m using doesn’t violate the ToS so I can still play online.
All I have to say for this is…

WINNING!!!

Keyboard.

> Keyboard.

Lol, a keyboard on the Xbox 360 is a heavily modded controller for all I care.