Controlling units in Halo Wars. 2

I thought it would be cool to take manual control of units in Halo Wars 2. It would be awsome to be a spartan on the battlefield or even a scarab! Just thought i would put this idea out there.

Cool idea if you enjoy installing 100GB. (what I am saying here is that the idea is good but won’t work on this generation of consoles. That and the challenge would be exceptionally challenging)

At risk of sounding like a broken record…

But then you lose the RTS element and it just becomes a Shooter or Action type game.
You can’t remain in strategic control of your armies while controlling a single unit from a close-up/first person view. What advantage to gameplay would this addition have?

> 2533274809541057;3:
> At risk of sounding like a broken record…
>
> But then you lose the RTS element and it just becomes a Shooter or Action type game.
> You can’t remain in strategic control of your armies while controlling a single unit from a close-up/first person view. What advantage to gameplay would this addition have?

immersion…i’m sorry :wink:

So Halo/Battlefield is what you want?

There was quite a wave of strategy games where you could take direct control of units back in the day (Battlezones 2, Fall of Civilizations, I think?), and I thought they were somewhat enjoyable. Battlezone 2 you actually were on the battlefield, directing your units and basebuilding and had to go inside a Relay structure to get a bird’s eye view of the battlefield. Fall of Civilizations allowed you to control a hero unit on the battlefield, but gameplay was somewhat cumbersome and not all that dense.

I remember Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor tried to pioneer ‘direct control’, but in the end I thought it was a massively watered down from their original intentions and the feature they made it out to be. You could simply only direct where a tank was to fire, also known as a damn ‘attack’ button in other RTS’s.

So yes, a RTS/FPS hybrid has been done before (over a decade ago in fact) and it is possible. But is it really a good choice? It would certainly not work without diluting down the RTS aspects to be a much smaller game with micromanagement over numbers. Think Dawn of War II were you only control four or so squads at any given time.

And considering that Halo Wars is already a diluted RTS experience…

You know, at first I thought this would be an awesome idea for Halo Wars 2. Now that I’ve had time to think about it, however, the more I see that it just wouldn’t fit. I do strongly believe that something similar to this would be successful in the future, but Halo Wars 2 will be very similar to Halo Wars seeing how CA will use it as a starting block aka RTS. Halo Wars was pretty awesome, but now CA is going to take it and run with it, making it a billion times better.

> 2533274913228269;1:
> I thought it would be cool to take manual control of units in Halo Wars 2. It would be awsome to be a spartan on the battlefield or even a scarab! Just thought i would put this idea out there.

There was a game that tried this on the 360. It was a cool concept, but executed poorly. If they could do it right, it’d be amazing, but extremely unlikely.

when the arbiter rages he goes into a controllable state sought of. You wouldn’t have to make every unit controllable just leaders, elites and spartans

> 2533274836669416;9:
> > 2533274913228269;1:
> > I thought it would be cool to take manual control of units in Halo Wars 2. It would be awsome to be a spartan on the battlefield or even a scarab! Just thought i would put this idea out there.
>
>
> There was a game that tried this on the 360. It was a cool concept, but executed poorly. If they could do it right, it’d be amazing, but extremely unlikely.

e you talking about black ops 2s extra strategy missions

> 2533274882881665;2:
> Cool idea if you enjoy installing 100GB. (what I am saying here is that the idea is good but won’t work on this generation of consoles. That and the challenge would be exceptionally challenging)

Men of War: Assault Squad and Call to Arms have something similar, and it’s only a 5 GB game. Sure it’s not perfect, but it’s fun, and it demonstrates proof-of-concept. Admittedly, it’s not first-person control, but it’s control, and you can play as a unit.