Continued MatchMaking Problems Not being Addressed

343 has decided with the April update, as far as I can tell, to start to phase out support for Reach. Matchmaking is badly broken currently and desperately needs:

TU to all playlists (Yes, even Invasion)
Bleedthrough
75% melee
<85% bloom (0% would be best but all playlists should get this at least)
110% movement
Consider placing AA’s on map as pickup’s
Updates to Invasion (many required here, whole other post)
Bring back “Squad Slayer”
Make teams >=4 match teams in all playlists
Reduce playlist clutter

If you have others you think are critical feel free to list them below.

No bleed = :’(

Here’s the thing, keep your personal preferences OUT of the picture in this thread. Stick to what we have. So no Bleed-through, definately no TU Invasion, 85% bloom (which is now the standard anyway). And I don’t think 343 is going to be willing to place AA’s on the map. You’ll be VERY lucky just to get the physic/damage traits applied.

TU Invasion makes Phase 1 in Boneyard and Spire near-impossible. The defensive DMRs and NRs already have a significant advantage (especially on Spire, since Bungie didn’t care to softkill the damn rocks!), and with bloom lessened, the open fields of Phase 1 will become an even more effective barrier than… well, an actual barrier! Bleedthrough may make the Elites more powerful in CQC, and the Armor Lock nerf would prevent the unimaginably-annoying turtling that ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS happens in Phase 3, but those benefits won’t mean anything because everyone’ll be getting skunked all game, every game.

Bleedthrough introduces more inconsistency than it removes. Bullet bleedthrough breaks an intuitive shielding mechanic, but can’t be removed while still keeping melee bleedthrough. From what I’ve heard out of others’ mouths (hands?), 75% sans bleedthrough sounds like the best option, but as you’ve probably seen, that’s still very open to debate.

110% movement + AA pickups isn’t Reachy enough. That’s not to say that Reach is good, but trying to turn it into a Halo 3 clone will likely introduce more problems than it solved. (Remember the backlash over the Anniversary gametypes and magnum?)

Matchmaking is in need of attention, yes, but it’s not as simple as “TU EVERYTHING, HALO 3 SETTINGS, GOGOGO”. I wish it were, because there don’t appear to be any other true fixes… But it isn’t. :\

> TU Invasion makes Phase 1 in Boneyard and Spire near-impossible. The defensive DMRs and NRs already have a significant advantage (especially on Spire, since Bungie didn’t care to softkill the damn rocks!), and with bloom lessened, the open fields of Phase 1 will become an even more effective barrier than… well, an actual barrier! Bleedthrough may make the Elites more powerful in CQC, and the Armor Lock nerf would prevent the unimaginably-annoying turtling that ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS happens in Phase 3, but those benefits won’t mean anything because everyone’ll be getting skunked all game, every game.

I’ve actually found the opposite. Like was intended, you need to move up the front sector more diversely. I’ve seen people make really dumb mistakes by thinking AC while moving is a smart thing to do. Other times I see players going up the center portions of boneyard, “do you know how many yards are between you and the next piece of cover? well, I’ll let you pay for it and give myself a kill.” like it stands from the past, you need to find solid people that also know how to use basic weapons. Myself and three others know how to cross map shoot the players who are dumb enough to get on the rock. Ok, so I can’t kill you, but I’ve also forced you back for the five seconds to recharge your shields and hey? Guess what? someone else is going to overcompensate for your weakness and I’ll get a kill for it. This once again ties to not being a one gun user and if your thoughts of counter action is to jump shoot or shoot down narrow slits. Bad news for you: I can move out of your line of sight. I beg to differ, T.U. makes players too comfortable and vulnerable IF you know what to do against them. As for bleedthrough, don’t need it, I’m not a CQC guy and give myself plenty of room where I know CQC users generally are, if they aren’t, makes my life easy, if they are, they just got a grenade and a headshot for camping in a doorway.

> Bleedthrough introduces more inconsistency than it removes. Bullet bleedthrough breaks an intuitive shielding mechanic, but can’t be removed while still keeping melee bleedthrough. From what I’ve heard out of others’ mouths (hands?), 75% sans bleedthrough sounds like the best option, but as you’ve probably seen, that’s still very open to debate.

I agree. Bleedthrough, for me, introduced too many issues from the past into a game designed to be radically different. I’ve modified my play styles in order to account for this, thus, I’m not going to ask for it back, if it does return, I’m only going to see more people coming forward with the melee lunge rather then using their gun the way it was intended to.

> 110% movement + AA pickups isn’t Reachy enough. That’s not to say that Reach is good, but trying to turn it into a Halo 3 clone will likely introduce more problems than it solved. (Remember the backlash over the Anniversary gametypes and magnum?)

I agree.

> Matchmaking is in need of attention, yes, but it’s not as simple as “TU EVERYTHING, HALO 3 SETTINGS, GOGOGO”. I wish it were, because there don’t appear to be any other true fixes… But it isn’t. :\

I agree about the simplicity.

I understand some of the concerns here let me try to address them.

Bleedthrough: Has been in every Halo game, it has worked then and it works now. The desire of players to see a shield pop before the player is vulnerable is unfair and breaks the Halo shooting design. Not knowing exactly when the shield will drop helps the player being shot. If they are good they will know when they are close to death and get behind cover. This gives them a slightly better chance to escape if they get dropped on. In addition it encourages every shot to be a headshot, expanding skill gap.

TU: We are less than 1 year away from Halo 4, well into Reach’s lifespan and we are still beta testing a TU that has been around for more than 6 months. Either TU everything or don’t even bother to say that you are applying a TU.

Bloom: Bloom theoretically is interesting, but it really is a crutch used by poorer players to close and force melee exchange deaths with better players. I did not beleive this when Reach first came out, but having played enough now it needs to go. ZB really forces the best player to walk away from the fight. If you out shoot me you win, if I out shoot you I win, simple concept should be the rule.

Invasion: Lots of stuff here, but TU works here IF you modify maps. Invasion desperately needs to be updated anyway, applying TU nerfs AL (amongst other things) and if you are going to apply it might as well update the maps.

We are literally running out of time to get anything before H4. Once it comes out Reach will be left to die, which is sad because the game does have potential.

There’s no point in these threads. If 343 were actually listening, then something would’ve changed after the HUGE backlash they received from a vast number of people. It’s funny how things get eff’d up by 343 and then the majority, yes, MAJORITY of the players that liked the settings come here pissed off.

Most of us that were happy with the game, had no complaints, and spent our time actually PLAYING, not being on here. Ever since the March update, I’ve noticed a huge increase of hate/spam/complaint threads based off the changes. Leads me to believe the majority is the people who were playing the game and enjoying it’s settings (PRE-March TU). This included Bleedthrough, 4v4 Objective, and Squad Slayer. Now it’s just a bunch of pissed off people, and we don’t care to play anymore. Would that be why the population has seen substantial drops in the last month?

The majority isn’t the forum-users who hardly play the game at all anyways. If they don’t play often, how would they know how the game needs to play? They just want it to play to THEIR liking. Buffed AL, thinking Bloom is a good thing. Are you kidding me? That’s obvious reasons why people like this get called trash, and it’s because it’s true. They have no concept of “fair” unless they can play and compete with higher-skilled players because of crap game mechanics. It’s obvious that the Community isn’t listened to. The majority of said Community backlashed, and nothing was fixed.

343 had it right before, they screwed it up last month, and it’s probably going to stay crap until H4 comes out. 343 = Bungie 2012

Can’t believe you people still say 343 don’t listen after everything they’ve done…Messed up community.

> If you have others you think are critical feel free to list them below.

A new asylum map :slight_smile:

The only thing I really wish to see is 75% melee damage. Other than that, I’m fine as-is. Grenades could use some tweaking, but that would probably require another TU, which is highly unlikely.

Bleed-through is not inconsistent… Not with the right base player traits anyway. It is fine in the MLG playlist. Certainly much better then the default mechanic. I mean I dont really care since all I really play seriously is MLG but still to say bleed through was the problem is just plain wrong.

> Can’t believe you people still say 343 don’t listen after everything they’ve done…Messed up community.

I disagree, they are too busy updating Grifball and living dead to care about what most people want

> > Can’t believe you people still say 343 don’t listen after everything they’ve done…Messed up community.
>
> I disagree, they are too busy updating Grifball and living dead to care about what most people want

don’t you mean the minority?

> > > Can’t believe you people still say 343 don’t listen after everything they’ve done…Messed up community.
> >
> > I disagree, they are too busy updating Grifball and living dead to care about what most people want
>
> don’t you mean the minority?

Team Slayer and Infection kids don’t tell 343 what they want.

I understand why infection and Griffball get updates, since those communities are dedicated and large, but it is amazing to me that the CORE base, which has been with this franchise since the first game, is getting largely ignored.

I talked about this with the players I currently play with and we are of the mind that we will not be following through to H4. I cannot judge the game yet since I have not played it, but if the community treatment is at all similar there is no point. I have been here from the teething problems and growing pains of H2 with Bungie, the stupidity of many things in H3, and now the mixed bag of Reach, but I very much doubt I will be here for H4.