Constant Freezing

As the title said, my Halo 5 is freezing at least once every 3 games with the only way to fix it is closing the game and restarting. Does anybody have a fix?

I have hard reset my xbox multiple times already.

This is just something we have to live with now. There is no fix that I’m aware of. It’s been getting worse and worse over the years with each update to the game so I assume it has something to do with how large the game has become. You used to be able to wait and it would unfreeze, but as you mentioned the only way to temporarily fix it now is by restarting the game. I have tried reinstalling the game, but I wouldn’t recommend this because it takes a very long time and it didn’t fix the issue.

> 2533274843634673;2:
> This is just something we have to live with now. There is no fix that I’m aware of. It’s been getting worse and worse over the years with each update to the game so I assume it has something to do with how large the game has become. You used to be able to wait and it would unfreeze, but as you mentioned the only way to temporarily fix it now is by restarting the game. I have tried reinstalling the game, but I wouldn’t recommend this because it takes a very long time and it didn’t fix the issue.

Damn. Thank than, hopefully someone knows something.

I’m experiencing the game completely freezing consistently in the menu after hosting a custom game (right after backing out of the carnage report). I’ve seen a number of people here experiencing this same thing but since is the most recent post I just wanted to voice my frustration with this issue as well.

It’s not just Halo 5 that’s suffering from freezing up; there have been times in Dead By Daylight where my game crashed entirely. Quite annoying.

> 2535449665894532;1:
> As the title said, my Halo 5 is freezing at least once every 3 games with the only way to fix it is closing the game and restarting. Does anybody have a fix?
>
> I have hard reset my xbox multiple times already.

Known issue that was supposed to be fixed in the Otime update. Actually got worse for some people, while only slightly bettering the experience for a few players. 343i is aware and planning another fix for it soon.

> 2535449665894532;1:
> As the title said, my Halo 5 is freezing at least once every 3 games with the only way to fix it is closing the game and restarting. Does anybody have a fix?
>

Tell me about it mate! It’s so bad. This and the server malfunctions. How is this logical stuff not fixed? It’s a joke tbh.

> 2533274831077797;6:
> > 2535449665894532;1:
> > As the title said, my Halo 5 is freezing at least once every 3 games with the only way to fix it is closing the game and restarting. Does anybody have a fix?
> >
> > I have hard reset my xbox multiple times already.
>
> Known issue that was supposed to be fixed in the Otime update. Actually got worse for some people, while only slightly bettering the experience for a few players. 343i is aware and planning another fix for it soon.

Is there an official acknowledgement from 343i? I would find some comfort in the fact that they are aware and even working on it.

> 2535449665894532;8:
> > 2533274831077797;6:
> > > 2535449665894532;1:
> > > As the title said, my Halo 5 is freezing at least once every 3 games with the only way to fix it is closing the game and restarting. Does anybody have a fix?
> > >
> > > I have hard reset my xbox multiple times already.
> >
> > Known issue that was supposed to be fixed in the Otime update. Actually got worse for some people, while only slightly bettering the experience for a few players. 343i is aware and planning another fix for it soon.
>
> Is there an official acknowledgement from 343i? I would find some comfort in the fact that they are aware and even working on it.

Yes. Less than a few hours after the Otime update (as with every update) I do bug testing and submit issues to 343 on reddit. They responded to my reddit post (it’s been linked on waypoint several times by others) by acknowledging the issue and stating that the Otime update was supposed to fix it; since it didn’t they would try again. This was before Christmas, and they stated that we wouldn’t begin to see any fixes implemented until after the holiday. I imagine this meant they wouldn’t begin working on the fixes until that time, thus increasing the wait time a bit more as it takes weeks to get fixes through their system to ensure it doesn’t break the game in the way that their other fixes have done.

Has anyone experienced a total black screen after a game starts? The game is playing, I hear everything in the going on, but no picture. The screen goes completely black right as lobby screen closes and the game starts. I have to hit the Home button and quit the game. It’s happened twice now in last 2 weeks.

> 2533274843446007;10:
> Has anyone experienced a total black screen after a game starts? The game is playing, I hear everything in the going on, but no picture. The screen goes completely black right as lobby screen closes and the game starts. I have to hit the Home button and quit the game. It’s happened twice now in last 2 weeks.

Yes, many times

> 2535449665894532;11:
> > 2533274843446007;10:
> > Has anyone experienced a total black screen after a game starts? The game is playing, I hear everything in the going on, but no picture. The screen goes completely black right as lobby screen closes and the game starts. I have to hit the Home button and quit the game. It’s happened twice now in last 2 weeks.
>
> Yes, many times

I used to get the black screen and the little wheel turning at the bottom, the game freezes and crashes. This one’s got me scratching my head.

yeah this is becoming a huge problem in custom games, everytime someone leaves the game it freezes and sometimes itll just do it randomly. i dont understand why 343 has this forum if they arent actually fixing the problem.

> 2533274802763679;13:
> yeah this is becoming a huge problem in custom games, everytime someone leaves the game it freezes and sometimes itll just do it randomly. i dont understand why 343 has this forum if they arent actually fixing the problem.

Our game nights have become a pain to do. Every time the game ends we need to hope our game doesn’t crash and we all have to restart.

> 2535449665894532;14:
> > 2533274802763679;13:
> > yeah this is becoming a huge problem in custom games, everytime someone leaves the game it freezes and sometimes itll just do it randomly. i dont understand why 343 has this forum if they arent actually fixing the problem.
>
> Our game nights have become a pain to do. Every time the game ends we need to hope our game doesn’t crash and we all have to restart.

I’ve had to give up on my game nights :frowning:

The issue is just too big now, and players don’t have the patience they once had with this game. Keeping a lobby together is a major pain, and has been for literal years now dealing with MCC and Halo 5.

> 2535449665894532;1:
>

Preach brother preach!

All jokes aside this has been happening since the Monitors Bounty update and has been increasing in severity ever since

Hopefully tomorrow’s update fixes the freezing issue were experiencing; even though the update has never claimed to fix this specific issue.

> 2533274894162125;17:
> Hopefully tomorrow’s update fixes the freezing issue were experiencing; even though the update has never claimed to fix this specific issue.
> https://twitter.com/ske7ch/status/971096351176994818

Here’s hoping.

Unfortunately it doesn’t appear that the latest update has resolved the freezing issue we’ve been experiencing. Hopefully we’ll hear something from 343i soon regarding this issue so that we know that they’re still aware of the issue.