Consider adding full-auto as accessibility option

Consider adding full-auto as an accessibility option due to the hand pain that can be caused from frequently firing semi automatic weapons.Other companies are starting to do this due to the hand pain that can be caused from frequently firing semi automatic weapons. Specifically many gamers can develop carpal tunnel syndrome without this type of accessibility option.

Senior Designer Robert Schuster at Bungie had this to say on the topic.

> “I was hesitant at first to mention [to Chris] one of my barriers: fast firing non-automatic weapons like Scout Rifles and Hand Cannons cause me hand pain during longer sessions. Why couldn’t we have a way to enable auto-fire on these kinds of weapons? I braced for a negative response. Instead, he heartily agreed and mentioned it was something he had already been considering as something that we could work toward including in the game. You may have seen rumblings about upcoming changes in this area in recent TWAB posts and we hope you’ll stay tuned for more updates.”

I allready have carpal tunnel since halo 2 and I’m actually against this function.

That being said it might be fair to add it, but only because some people use software cheats/scripts (PC) or hardware mods (xbox) that do this automatically.

I want to remind you that there is a surprising amount of weapons gone full-auto in this game.

• DMR is now a LMG (commando) - Pulse carbine is full auto - Shotgun is full auto - Disruptor is full autoThe only weapons currently rapid fire semi are Plasma Pistol and Sidekick.

> 2535438388661507;2:
> I allready have carpal tunnel since halo 2 and I’m actually against this function.
>
> That being said it might be fair to add it, but only because some people use software cheats/scripts (PC) or hardware mods (xbox) that do this automatically.
>
> I want to remind you that there is a surprising amount of weapons gone full-auto in this game.
>
>
> - DMR is now a LMG (commando) - Pulse carbine is full auto - Shotgun is full auto - Disruptor is full autoThe only weapons currently rapid fire semi are Plasma Pistol and Sidekick.

What do you do to alleviate the pain from carpal tunnel syndrome while playing for long sessions?

Also why are you against it? Can you elaborate?

Many weapons already have bloom built in so I don’t think allowing this accessibility feature would be disruptive. You still need to aim and manage bloom. You just don’t have to kill your hand repeatedly spamming the trigger.

> 2533274808467430;3:
> > 2535438388661507;2:
> > (…)
>
> What do you do to alleviate the pain from carpal tunnel syndrome while playing for long sessions?
>
> Also why are you against it? Can you elaborate?
>
> Many weapons already have bloom built in so I don’t think allowing this accessibility feature would be disruptive. You still need to aim and manage bloom. You just don’t have to kill your hand repeatedly spamming the trigger.

I play a bit less in general these days. When I do play several nights in a row, I try to focus on automatic weaponry or slower fire weapons like sword/sniper/etc.
When I feel the pain coming it helps to shoot with the inner middle digit of the trigger finger rather than the fingertip. Also, I alternate with ring-finger (middle finger) on the trigger.
If it gets real bad I put my hand/wrist in running ice cold water for a while.

I am against making it too accessible because having to rapid fire and aim at the same time is actually more challenging (at least on controller) and in my opinion that raises the skill ceiling. I only got this problem in the first place because I was trying to out-TTK the plasma rifle with the plasma pistol. You know it’s working when people report you for cheating after an unsuspected hailstorm of green globs XD

Anyways, I still chalk it up to my human body being weak, because I know for a fact some people are capable of doing this without getting problems. This is a game/sport and people get injuries in games/sports because we’re trying to push the human body/mind to the optimal. Soccer players need knee surgeries too, but that doesn’t mean we should make the ball softer.

I hope that makes sense and this is just my opinion.

Right lmao. Have you ever heard of games like Diablo where you basically click LMB/RMB all day long?

> 2535438388661507;4:
> > 2533274808467430;3:
> > > 2535438388661507;2:
> > > (…)
> >
> > What do you do to alleviate the pain from carpal tunnel syndrome while playing for long sessions?
> >
> > Also why are you against it? Can you elaborate?
> >
> > Many weapons already have bloom built in so I don’t think allowing this accessibility feature would be disruptive. You still need to aim and manage bloom. You just don’t have to kill your hand repeatedly spamming the trigger.
>
> I play a bit less in general these days. When I do play several nights in a row, I try to focus on automatic weaponry or slower fire weapons like sword/sniper/etc.
> When I feel the pain coming it helps to shoot with the inner middle digit of the trigger finger rather than the fingertip. Also, I alternate with ring-finger (middle finger) on the trigger.
> If it gets real bad I put my hand/wrist in running ice cold water for a while.
>
> I am against making it too accessible because having to rapid fire and aim at the same time is actually more challenging (at least on controller) and in my opinion that raises the skill ceiling. I only got this problem in the first place because I was trying to out-TTK the plasma rifle with the plasma pistol. You know it’s working when people report you for cheating after an unsuspected hailstorm of green globs XD
>
> Anyways, I still chalk it up to my human body being weak, because I know for a fact some people are capable of doing this without getting problems. This is a game/sport and people get injuries in games/sports because we’re trying to push the human body/mind to the optimal. Soccer players need knee surgeries too, but that doesn’t mean we should make the ball softer.
>
> I hope that makes sense and this is just my opinion.

I don’t agree, but thank you for the explanation. If we know that trigger spamming is likely causing carpal tunnel syndrome for many players, and it’s an easily solvable problem via an accessibility setting, then it’s something that should seriously be considered.

> 2533274831484430;5:
> Right lmao. Have you ever heard of games like Diablo where you basically click LMB/RMB all day long?

Completely agree it’s an issue in click spamming games too. I expect in future versions of those types of games we will see accessibility options to address the issue. Carpal tunnel syndrome among gamers is definitely something more and more game developers are realizing is a problem. It would be cool if Halo Infinite was on/ahead of the curve in helping address the issue.