Consider a release w/ all finished content on disc

My main concerns for games that release content later without them being on a disc of some sort is the the content eventually becomes lost.

Halo 2 is a great example of this actually. My friends and I put together a system link party to play Halo 2 again on it’s original platform, and we were short the Blastacular Map Pack, and some updates.

It was announced that Halo Infinite has a 10 year plan behind it, but what past that ensures the entire experience is preserved for players to enjoy?

MCC should be a very good example that 343I doesn’t worry about preservation, even with the toggle somethings are forever broken. My bet is that the disc will have at best campaign and the base game multiplayer maps and at worst just the multiplayer component.

> 2533274847845259;2:
> MCC should be a very good example that 343I doesn’t worry about preservation, even with the toggle somethings are forever broken. My bet is that the disc will have at best campaign and the base game multiplayer maps and at worst just the multiplayer component.

From what I understood multiplayer was pretty much already confirmed to be wholly online. It’s free to play, you don’t even need to own a disc to play.

That said I’d like for these things to all be on a disc. It’d be a shame if the disc ONLY had campaign similar to Halo 5. 343i really hit Halo 5 in this aspect.

When servers go for Halo 5 there will be no customs, no forge, no warzone and no co-op. Just Halo 5’s single player campaign, that’s all we’ll have

> 2535449464077716;3:
> > 2533274847845259;2:
> > MCC should be a very good example that 343I doesn’t worry about preservation, even with the toggle somethings are forever broken. My bet is that the disc will have at best campaign and the base game multiplayer maps and at worst just the multiplayer component.
>
> From what I understood multiplayer was pretty much already confirmed to be wholly online. It’s free to play, you don’t even need to own a disc to play.
>
> That said I’d like for these things to all be on a disc. It’d be a shame if the disc ONLY had campaign similar to Halo 5. 343i really hit Halo 5 in this aspect.
>
> When servers go for Halo 5 there will be no customs, no forge, no warzone and no co-op. Just Halo 5’s single player campaign, that’s all we’ll have

I’m just pessimistic that the disk will be anything other then a menu and you have to download everything with the disk just acting as a license

I understand where you’re coming from, but in this day an age, it’s not really an issue.
I can log my Xbox account into a new console and it automatically has all my apps and games available, even obscure DLCs for older games.
things are just a lot better curated online these days.

Though I imagine for the first few years, the large expansions like the campaigns, will probably be available on disk which serves as a storage bus to download the content to your HDD.

> 2533274847845259;4:
> > 2535449464077716;3:
> > > 2533274847845259;2:
> > > MCC should be a very good example that 343I doesn’t worry about preservation, even with the toggle somethings are forever broken. My bet is that the disc will have at best campaign and the base game multiplayer maps and at worst just the multiplayer component.
> >
> > From what I understood multiplayer was pretty much already confirmed to be wholly online. It’s free to play, you don’t even need to own a disc to play.
> >
> > That said I’d like for these things to all be on a disc. It’d be a shame if the disc ONLY had campaign similar to Halo 5. 343i really hit Halo 5 in this aspect.
> >
> > When servers go for Halo 5 there will be no customs, no forge, no warzone and no co-op. Just Halo 5’s single player campaign, that’s all we’ll have
>
> I’m just pessimistic that the disk will be anything other then a menu and you have to download everything with the disk just acting as a license

Well we’d know that immediately when someone tried to download the disc offline. That said I’m sure the intention of this post is clear.

Halo 2’s servers are gone, and that’s why things like Blastacular and updates were lost. That was the only content not released on a disc, and now the only way to access that content is through less than official methods, which is a shame

I think preserving a game’s total experience is important, and I thought I’d bring this topic up early in hopes it gets addressed later

> 2535449464077716;6:
> > 2533274847845259;4:
> > > 2535449464077716;3:
> > > > 2533274847845259;2:
> > > > MCC should be a very good example that 343I doesn’t worry about preservation, even with the toggle somethings are forever broken. My bet is that the disc will have at best campaign and the base game multiplayer maps and at worst just the multiplayer component.
> > >
> > > From what I understood multiplayer was pretty much already confirmed to be wholly online. It’s free to play, you don’t even need to own a disc to play.
> > >
> > > That said I’d like for these things to all be on a disc. It’d be a shame if the disc ONLY had campaign similar to Halo 5. 343i really hit Halo 5 in this aspect.
> > >
> > > When servers go for Halo 5 there will be no customs, no forge, no warzone and no co-op. Just Halo 5’s single player campaign, that’s all we’ll have
> >
> > I’m just pessimistic that the disk will be anything other then a menu and you have to download everything with the disk just acting as a license
>
> Well we’d know that immediately when someone tried to download the disc offline. That said I’m sure the intention of this post is clear.
>
> Halo 2’s servers are gone, and that’s why things like Blastacular and updates were lost. That was the only content not released on a disc, and now the only way to access that content is through less than official methods, which is a shame
>
> I think preserving a game’s total experience is important, and I thought I’d bring this topic up early in hopes it gets addressed later

I hope I am wrong and the disk version of H:I has everything for the game to be experienced for years after sunsetting. preservation of older games (which all games will be one day) is incredibly important. Hope your post gets big enough to atleast get some answer out of a 343I rep.

> 2533274810945725;5:
> I understand where you’re coming from, but in this day an age, it’s not really an issue.
> I can log my Xbox account into a new console and it automatically has all my apps and games available, even obscure DLCs for older games.
> things are just a lot better curated online these days.
>
> Though I imagine for the first few years, the large expansions like the campaigns, will probably be available on disk which serves as a storage bus to download the content to your HDD.

Well, it’s not an issue now, but it will be in the future. Any content you buy online dies with the service. If Microsoft ever decides to abandon Xbox in favor of a new project, all your games would eventually be lost with exception to whatever was on your harddrive.

You may not have experience with it yet, but things don’t remain accessible within online services. Anything you enjoy thats online only now will only be enjoyable through videos and clips later when the service is discontinued. Is that the Legacy you’d want for a game you might enjoy? Clips?

> 2535449464077716;8:
> > 2533274810945725;5:
> > I understand where you’re coming from, but in this day an age, it’s not really an issue.
> > I can log my Xbox account into a new console and it automatically has all my apps and games available, even obscure DLCs for older games.
> > things are just a lot better curated online these days.
> >
> > Though I imagine for the first few years, the large expansions like the campaigns, will probably be available on disk which serves as a storage bus to download the content to your HDD.
>
> Well, it’s not an issue now, but it will be in the future. Any content you buy online dies with the service. If Microsoft ever decides to abandon Xbox in favor of a new project, all your games would eventually be lost with exception to whatever was on your harddrive.
>
> You may not have experience with it yet, but things don’t remain accessible within online services. Anything you enjoy thats online only now will only be enjoyable through videos and clips later when the service is discontinued. Is that the Legacy you’d want for a game you might enjoy? Clips?

I mean, the hypothetical you’re talking about is kinda far future stuff. CE has been mostly preserved after 20 years, I’d wager that if Infinite does well, it will still be playable 20 years from now.

If MS ever had a better opportunity to dump XBOX it would have been in 2013, but they stuck with it. And even if they did dump it, Halo is a lucrative IP. It would be sold and made by someone else, and history has proven that people will buy nostalgia.

And either way, I’d imagine that somewhere deep in the terms and conditions it’ll say something to the effect of “one day we might shut down the online servers, and this content won’t be available for download, but by purchasing this game, you agree to be chill about it.

So unless you make sure to have everything backed up in a runnable state, I guess there’s not much we can do about it.

> 2533274810945725;9:
> > 2535449464077716;8:
> > > 2533274810945725;5:
> > > I understand where you’re coming from, but in this day an age, it’s not really an issue.
> > > I can log my Xbox account into a new console and it automatically has all my apps and games available, even obscure DLCs for older games.
> > > things are just a lot better curated online these days.
> > >
> > > Though I imagine for the first few years, the large expansions like the campaigns, will probably be available on disk which serves as a storage bus to download the content to your HDD.
> >
> > Well, it’s not an issue now, but it will be in the future. Any content you buy online dies with the service. If Microsoft ever decides to abandon Xbox in favor of a new project, all your games would eventually be lost with exception to whatever was on your harddrive.
> >
> > You may not have experience with it yet, but things don’t remain accessible within online services. Anything you enjoy thats online only now will only be enjoyable through videos and clips later when the service is discontinued. Is that the Legacy you’d want for a game you might enjoy? Clips?
>
> I mean, the hypothetical you’re talking about is kinda far future stuff. CE has been mostly preserved after 20 years, I’d wager that if Infinite does well, it will still be playable 20 years from now.
>
> If MS ever had a better opportunity to dump XBOX it would have been in 2013, but they stuck with it. And even if they did dump it, Halo is a lucrative IP. It would be sold and made by someone else, and history has proven that people will buy nostalgia.
>
> And either way, I’d imagine that somewhere deep in the terms and conditions it’ll say something to the effect of “one day we might shut down the online servers, and this content won’t be available for download, but by purchasing this game, you agree to be chill about it.
>
> So unless you make sure to have everything backed up in a runnable state, I guess there’s not much we can do about it.

Halo CE launched a complete game as did most games from that era. Also I understand completely that scenario I’ve brought up is far off, but addressed issues early is easier done than addressing them later.

Halo 2 got 7 years before it was put down. Halo 3, and Reach got 14, and 11. Halo 4 343i first creation is only getting 9. So let’s say Infinite gets better, and lasts 15 years before it’s servers go out. Would you be satisfied with losing a majority of that experience when it goes out?

Personally it’s a no for me. I’m out here still playing Red and Blue on the SNES in that gameboy super 2 cart. I don’t let stuff go if I have love for it

I remember the days when people complained that content was already on the disks at launch but were inaccessible to play until said Content was available on X date. For example Destiny 1, people were livid when they found out that The Dark Below and House of Wolves was already on the disk at launch.

the gaming community will never be happy. They complained about the Destiny 1 situation and are now complaining that Coop and Forge won’t be at release.

> 2533274807564865;11:
> I remember the days when people complained that content was already on the disks at launch but were inaccessible to play until said Content was available on X date. For example Destiny 1, people were livid when they found out that The Dark Below and House of Wolves was already on the disk at launch.
>
> the gaming community will never be happy. They complained about the Destiny 1 situation and are now complaining that Coop and Forge won’t be at release.

Dude, no offense, but you really don’t know what you’re talking about. Destiny had portions of locations on the disc sure, but almost the entirety of Destiny resides on a server . This is true for D2 as well. That game is specifically online only and is a prime example of a game that has it’s content die with the server. Not just in select aspects, but in entirety.

Edit: Plus that was DLC people paid for not the base game. There are however examples where complete versions of games are sold all on the disc. Star Wars: Force Unleashed, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Halo 3 ODST’s Multiplayer Disc, Dante’s Inferno, and Devil May Cry. This stuff used to be common, but developers stopped producing complete versions of the game with all content new and old included

> 2535449464077716;10:
> > 2533274810945725;9:
> > > 2535449464077716;8:
> > > > 2533274810945725;5:
> > > > I understand where you’re coming from, but in this day an age, it’s not really an issue.
> > > > I can log my Xbox account into a new console and it automatically has all my apps and games available, even obscure DLCs for older games.
> > > > things are just a lot better curated online these days.
> > > >
> > > > Though I imagine for the first few years, the large expansions like the campaigns, will probably be available on disk which serves as a storage bus to download the content to your HDD.
> > >
> > > Well, it’s not an issue now, but it will be in the future. Any content you buy online dies with the service. If Microsoft ever decides to abandon Xbox in favor of a new project, all your games would eventually be lost with exception to whatever was on your harddrive.
> > >
> > > You may not have experience with it yet, but things don’t remain accessible within online services. Anything you enjoy thats online only now will only be enjoyable through videos and clips later when the service is discontinued. Is that the Legacy you’d want for a game you might enjoy? Clips?
> >
> > I mean, the hypothetical you’re talking about is kinda far future stuff. CE has been mostly preserved after 20 years, I’d wager that if Infinite does well, it will still be playable 20 years from now.
> >
> > If MS ever had a better opportunity to dump XBOX it would have been in 2013, but they stuck with it. And even if they did dump it, Halo is a lucrative IP. It would be sold and made by someone else, and history has proven that people will buy nostalgia.
> >
> > And either way, I’d imagine that somewhere deep in the terms and conditions it’ll say something to the effect of “one day we might shut down the online servers, and this content won’t be available for download, but by purchasing this game, you agree to be chill about it.
> >
> > So unless you make sure to have everything backed up in a runnable state, I guess there’s not much we can do about it.
>
> Halo CE launched a complete game as did most games from that era. Also I understand completely that scenario I’ve brought up is far off, but addressed issues early is easier done than addressing them later.
>
> Halo 2 got 7 years before it was put down. Halo 3, and Reach got 14, and 11. Halo 4 343i first creation is only getting 9. So let’s say Infinite gets better, and lasts 15 years before it’s servers go out. Would you be satisfied with losing a majority of that experience when it goes out?
>
> Personally it’s a no for me. I’m out here still playing Red and Blue on the SNES in that gameboy super 2 cart. I don’t let stuff go if I have love for it

My satisfaction would be based on what I put into the game during the nights of it’s lifecycle, before the servers finally dropped after a decade or two.

But if the Ts&Cs explain that server shutdown is a possibility in the future, we don’t really have a leg to stand on if we agree to purchase the game.

Look at Destiny 2; there’s content that came out at launch which is no longer playable (for various reasons), and that game is still alive and being serviced.
Halo on the other hand has a 20 year old game fully functional, and a 14 year old game that’s receiving new maps and content.

I think out of the entire gaming industry, Halo fans have the least to worry about when it comes to protecting legacy content.
And when the day finally does come, they’ll tell us to make sure we have all the content backed up before the game goes down.

> 2535449464077716;10:
> Halo 2 got 7 years before it was put down.

Didn’t even make it to 6 believe it or not, Halo 2 got 5 years and 5 months

> 2535449464077716;1:
> My main concerns for games that release content later without them being on a disc of some sort is the the content eventually becomes lost.
>
> Halo 2 is a great example of this actually. My friends and I put together a system link party to play Halo 2 again on it’s original platform, and we were short the Blastacular Map Pack, and some updates.
>
> It was announced that Halo Infinite has a 10 year plan behind it, but what past that ensures the entire experience is preserved for players to enjoy?

You have Halo MCC,play Halo 2 with your friend there.It surely runs better on there.

> 2533274813317074;14:
> > 2535449464077716;10:
> > Halo 2 got 7 years before it was put down.
>
> Didn’t even make it to 6 believe it or not, Halo 2 got 5 years and 5 months

Wow, I always believed it was at least 6 years.

> 2533274807564865;11:
> I remember the days when people complained that content was already on the disks at launch but were inaccessible to play until said Content was available on X date. For example Destiny 1, people were livid when they found out that The Dark Below and House of Wolves was already on the disk at launch.
>
> the gaming community will never be happy. They complained about the Destiny 1 situation and are now complaining that Coop and Forge won’t be at release.

those are two completely different situations, people were mad at destiny because if the content is there then that means it was artificially segmented for the purpose of money.

halo infinite not having forge just sucks because that means custom games arent really gonna be played for the first few months since you will only have the default versions.
It not having co-op is a massive issue as its the First Mainline halo game to not have coop at launch and i think only the second to not havbe it at all as halo wars one didnt have it, but I might be missing a side game. but the point is this is the first mainline without that option.

> 2533274951753761;15:
> > 2535449464077716;1:
> >
>
> You have Halo MCC,play Halo 2 with your friend there.It surely runs better on there.

What a way to miss the entire point. 343I has shown time and time again that mcc isnt about preservations its about playing an altered version of the game. its also not about “running better” its about playing it as it was exactly.

guys guys, don’t worry, their gonna re-release it for 15 more years after the 10 year plan, the 10 year plan is just for this new cycle of xbox’s, then they’ll release it for the nintendo button, the xbox eh, PS8, and windows 12. and they’ll call it halo infinite anniversary, brought to you buy Amazosoft.

if anything, this game is gonna outlive its welcome and become one of the games slowly making its way down your recently played list in steam, getting all the way down there with Teeworlds and Half-life 2: lost coast.

and on to the main topic, when this game is done, for the most part its gonna be in excess of 100Gbs… and looked it up.

2014- “Sony announces next-gen Blu-ray disc, can store up to 1TB of data” so i guess thats really not an issue.

but the other issue is that it really seems like most companies and people are doing away with disc readers, at least for the not built into a case versions, such as the hard drive.

feel like it would make more sense to have the game be offline and attached to a cloud, preferably a privately owned personal one, and you just have account data that links to your cloud and downloads your games, off your cloud synced hard drive/entertainment system… but why would technology be cool like that.

so, i think I’m saying, yeah, an offline version thats playable forever similar to CE has become would be nice, maybe give it a few years, no way microsoft would do that again, but once its like that… which i guess all steam games are pretty much like that, you can just crack it, stick it on pirate bay, share it around, keep it in the deep recesses of your hard drive right next to CE, and play it for another 20 years.
heh, coming to PC probably isn’t there best non-piracy move, to bad we’ve all saved up enough money to switch back to buying things.

> 2535449464077716;1:
> My main concerns for games that release content later without them being on a disc of some sort is the the content eventually becomes lost.
>
> Halo 2 is a great example of this actually. My friends and I put together a system link party to play Halo 2 again on it’s original platform, and we were short the Blastacular Map Pack, and some updates.
>
> It was announced that Halo Infinite has a 10 year plan behind it, but what past that ensures the entire experience is preserved for players to enjoy?

these days this is what cracks are for i suppose

> 2535449464077716;1:

Isn’t this the exact point of buying the original game on disk? Being able to enjoy it without all the updates and expansions that are added later.

The main reason players use the unpatched version of the game is to be able to exploit bugs for campaign and I don’t doubt the campaign will be available on the disk, multiplayer will probably only be a download seeing its free content.