Confused - Mission 5's cutscene (SPOILERS)

So i’ve just passed “The Librarian” cutscene on my legendary solo run, and i’m confused. I’d appreciate anyone that may be able to answer my questions:

“He seeks this - the Composer. A device that will allow him to finally contain the greatest enemy ever faced by the Forerunners. You.”

Why exactly is Masterchief the greatest enemy ever faced by the Forerunners? Also, why would the Didact want to contain him? Couldn’t the Didact just have killed Masterchief when he woke the Didact?

“When the Didact finally exhausted the humans after a millenia, his sentence was severe”

What was his sentence?

From what i make out from the rest of the cutscene, The Composer turned humans into “abominations” - Prometheans? The Didact then used the Prometheans to fight the flood and get “his revenge”. What revenge? His revenge on Humanity?

"Reclaimer! The genesong i placed within you contains many gifts, including immunity to the composer. But it must be unlocked!

What is she talking about here? The Librarian placed a genesong inside MasterChief… what does this mean?

The Librarian then “accelerates his evolutionary journey”, so this means that she genetically engineers Masterchief so he is immune to the composer?

I’m now thinking that The Didact is wanting to turn Masterchief into a promethean, am i right? Or have i got this totally wrong…

I know i’ve got a lot of questions guys and i probably seem like a complete noob, regardless, thanks for your time. Lastly, if any answers to my questions are answered later on in the game, please do not spoil it for me, just let me know :stuck_out_tongue:

watch the terminals…they do a much better job of explaining the story…343 dropped the ball BIG TIME by not making them mandatory cut scenes and just easter eggs

She is talking about humanity.

We (humans) are the greatest threat the forruners ever faced. Greater than the flood.

He wants to make more prometheans and wants to eliminate us as a threat.

He defeated us while we were fighting both the flood and the didacts forces. At our defeat he devolved us. We did exhaust his forces. So he went further and tryed to extinguish us because of what we did.

She planted seeds in our gene so we could defeat the flood and him. Halsey and John are part if the 10k year plan. She evolved John.

He wants to turn all humans into prometheans.

> So i’ve just passed “The Librarian” cutscene on my legendary solo run, and i’m confused. I’d appreciate anyone that may be able to answer my questions:
>
> “He seeks this - the Composer. A device that will allow him to finally contain the greatest enemy ever faced by the Forerunners. You.”
>
> Why exactly is Masterchief the greatest enemy ever faced by the Forerunners? Also, why would the Didact want to contain him? Couldn’t the Didact just have killed Masterchief when he woke the Didact?
>
> “When the Didact finally exhausted the humans after a millenia, his sentence was severe”
>
> What was his sentence?
>
> From what i make out from the rest of the cutscene, The Composer turned humans into “abominations” - Prometheans? The Didact then used the Prometheans to fight the flood and get “his revenge”. What revenge? His revenge on Humanity?
>
> "Reclaimer! The genesong i placed within you contains many gifts, including immunity to the composer. But it must be unlocked!
>
> What is she talking about here? The Librarian placed a genesong inside MasterChief… what does this mean?
>
> The Librarian then “accelerates his evolutionary journey”, so this means that she genetically engineers Masterchief so he is immune to the composer?
>
> I’m now thinking that The Didact is wanting to turn Masterchief into a promethean, am i right? Or have i got this totally wrong…
>
> I know i’ve got a lot of questions guys and i probably seem like a complete noob, regardless, thanks for your time. Lastly, if any answers to my questions are answered later on in the game, please do not spoil it for me, just let me know :stuck_out_tongue:

If you watch the terminals you’d learn that (don’t read this if you want to avoid spoilers… seriously)

Humanity is seen as the greatest threat to the Forerunner by the Didact. Humanity has the best chance to claim the Mantle from the Forerunner. During the Human-Forerunner war Humanity (a Tier 1 race) held their ground against the Forerunner (a Tier 0 race)

Didact’s sentence was eternal imprisonment on Requiem… until Master Chief accidentally woke him up.

Didact used the Composer to turn humans into Promethian soldiers by digitizing their existence… a process that destroys the former being and shatters their consciousness. This was the Didact’s revenge against humanity for the atrocities caused by ancient humans (the burning/glassing of Forerunner worlds infected with Flood).

The Librarian saved some of humanity and moved them to a distant location (Earth maybe?) and implanted their genetic code with a fail-safe that would allow mankind to evolve back into a race capable of claiming the Mantle.

The Librarian basically activated the genetic Geass laying dormant in humanity… the last measure against the Didact should he ever awaken.

Ya, just watch the terminals. It makes wonderful sense after watching them; also the terminals are awesome.

[deleted]

Thank you, clears things us a bit :slight_smile:

Not neccesarily Master Chief, but Humanity. Long ago the Forerunners went to war with Humanity, the Didact leading the Forerunner forces. He lost all his children in the war, and it was one of the greatest the Forerunners have ever fought. It left a bad taste in the Didact’s mouth, a hatred for Humanity that he kept bottled up because of the Librarian.

The Didact’s plan was to create an army of robotic machines to fight the Flood using composed memories. These would become the Prometheans in Halo 4. First the real Forerunner Promethean, Forerunner warriors, volunteered to be composed. When the Didact needed more, he composed a series of Human colonies. Thats what he wants, to compose us so that he can contain us and use us.

His sentence was two things. The higher parts of the Human military, such as the Lord of Admirals, were composed. The rest of Humanity was stripped of its technology and devolved. Sent back to Earth and forced to return to caveman state, where the Librarian began helping us along.

The Forerunners wanted to use the Composer to bridge the digital and organic realms. Coverting organics to machines, and vice versa. The memories of the composed were transfered successfully, but later, when trying to return them to bilogocial state, things went wrong. They didn’t come back the same, abominations. The Prometheans were the result of the composed beings being transered into these combat AI.

His revenge for the war, his losses, with Humanity. He still held a grudge for a long time. He was able to get his revenge by taking control of Human memories and durances and composing them, making them into his Promethean army for him to control.

The Librarian was an expert at long planning. She placed a geas, an imprint that provides instructions for a later purpose, in Humanity, and apparently Chief specifically. What exactly this is for is currently unknown, only that it was a part of a large plan by the Librarian involving Humanity.
Yes, in some way she grants the Chief immunity to the Composer.

He wanted to compose all of Humanity. Chief is a unique figure, the Didact had some different interest in him. But the result would have likely been the same.

Because MC doesn’t stop until he get’s what he wants.

Didact no likey.

The Didact was imprisoned by Libraian, his wife. Why? Because after exhausting his original Promethean forces (which were actually Forerunner Promethean Warriors before being composed by The Composer), Ur-Didact used the Composer on humanity to replenish his forces.

This went against the Mantle, so The Librarian knocked him out with a LightRifle and placed him in a Cryptum. He basically became as bad as The Flood, except he turned living life into mechanical AIs and would have cause species to go extinct if left to his own devices.

The Librarian reversed the genetic de-evolution the Forerunners within Master Chiefs own DNA. That was the “immunity” to the Composer. It only worked on de-evolved humans, which is why Sandra Tilson and the other scientists on Ivanoff station die and Master Chief survives. He’s basically the most “true” human in the series thus far.

In case you don’t know, humanity’s evolution was reversed when they lost the war against the Forerunners. This is where The Didact grew to hate humanity. Not only did they stand against The Mantle with their genocidal actions and rapid expansion into Forerunner space, his children were killed too.

Proving themselves to be violent and savage, The Didact wiykd never accept humanity as Reclaimers of the Mantle and instead will prevent that at all costs (I.E Halo 4). He will want to seek vengeance for their transgressions and that it is justifiable to convert the human race into machines and maintain Forerunner dominance. It’s why his lines are mocking and condescending when talking to Master Chief in game.

His sentence was being locked on Requiem for 1,000 years, not composition himself, BTW.

OK Many had explained it but I’m just asking you to read this to understand it better…
All begins before the activation of the Halos, Humans were at war with the Flood (HUMAN-FLOOD WAR), so the humans were in real trouble and they had many losses and they lost many colonies, so they decided to conquer other planets to manage the situation, get more resources and win the war. But then the forerunners had the mantle of responsability… and they misunderstood the human race and thought that they were conquering for power and ambition when it really was for needing and it began the HUMAN-FORERUNNER WAR, that’s part of what the librarian is talking about with master chief when she says: “the greatest enemy ever faced by the Forerunners. You.” she’s talking, as they’d said, humanity. Because they were really powerful at that time (I think that the forerunners thought they were really powerful because of all the colonies they had in other planets)they considered humanity as a menace, and the Didact lost all of his sons at that war (they died). After that forerunners win the war but they loose the cure for the flood (found by humans) and the flood then attacks the forerunners. The forerunners were very weak because of the human-forerunner war so they had many strategies such as building the halos, shield planets, etc… in the halo 4 cutscene you mention, it is said that the didact used the composer to turn humans into prometheans to fight the flood. There the didact got his revenge, turning humans into his AI “slaves” so they can fight for him and pay for his sons’ deaths and all the forerunner blood (or whatever they have inside) they’ve spilled (the composer turns any living thing into an AI as I understood like prometheans) but this “method” was going against the mantle ideology and because the didact didn’t agree with the idea of building the halos, instead he wanted to create shield worlds to be save (sealed in other words) and be protected by his prometheans (that’s why Requiem has no flood) so his punishment was to be inprisioned in a Cryptum, this was the second time he was prisoned in a cryptum (a cryptum is like a prison cell it is the strange orange sphere or ball that the didact uses like transportation in requiem, i’ve read that is not a normal “holding cell” because your mind gets old but not your body, for more details you should see the definition of cryptum in halowiki or somewhere else) Didact was prisoned in the cryptum till he forces master chief to open it (a trap), thinking he (master chief) will stablish communication with the infinity.

NOW about your question about the genesong in master chief…
The Librarian was the one responsable to collect all the species GENS or ADN for the ARK to repopulate all the galaxy after the activation of the halos (OK now don’t forget that)
Following the end of the Human-Forerunner wars, the Didact and a group of Prometheans gained access to the Primordial (The Timeless One, The Captive, or The Prisoner of Charum Hakkor I really recommend you to look for more details about him in halopedia/or wiki).The Primordial says to Didact that the Mantle belonged to humanity, not to the forerunners. "After the Forerunners get killed by the Flood, humanity would be proved by the Flood to see if they really deserve the mantle, it also said that there was no difference between the flood and the precursors, but it doesn’t reveal the exact relation between both. Also reveals that there’s no cure for the flood because the flood can choose to infect or not (if not they would think they were immune to them, but I still think there’s a cure for them) It told the Didact that it was the last Precursor, and that the Forerunners had rebelled against the Precursors (and maybe killed all of them, who knows?). The Didact told none of this to any, SAVE THE LIBRARIAN.
The Last Pecursor (The Timeless One, The Captive, or The Prisoner of Charum Hakkor) was killed by the Didact with a timelock (somekindaweapon) but its last words were:
“If you kill me, another precursor will rise” (he dies)
His last words confirm that it will appear another identical GEN, and my explanation is that The Librarian (remember her responsibility of recollecting ADN and gens for the repopulation right?, AND remember she’s the only one that knows the true about the precursors and forerunners) used that gen in one single person and I’m talking about John 117:
“The genesong I placed within you contains many gifts, including immunity to the composer. But it must be unlocked!”
That’s why he’s inmune to the composer before and after she accelerates his evolutionary journey (maybe she accelerated his evolution so master chief would be more powerful and could defeat the didact easily, don’t know exactly)

(DIDACT HATES HUMANS BUT THE LIBRARIAN DOES NOT, SHE’S SUPPORTING THEM IN A WAY)

*EXTRA INFO: At the end of Halo: Primordium, it is revealed that the Primordial is actually a Gravemind. (BECAUSE THERE’S NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PRECURSORS AND THE FLOOD, IT’S VERY VERY COMPLICATED BUT WITH TIME WE WILL UNDERSTAND IT BETTER)

SOURCES: