Confused about Halo 3

This is probably a really stupid question but I’m pretty confused here.

When Chief discovers that Gravemind is rebuilding itself on the old Halo ring, he decides to activate it to wipe out the flood, but how doesn’t this wipe out humanity on Earth? I think I must have missed something really important here.

Bc all of the flood fled to the ark to help rebuild grave-mind. Once the ring was damaged and set for destruction MC and the arbiter left the ring. The ring was destroyed blew along with the flood.

Oh right thanks, so was the ring too damaged to activate and destroy all life in the galaxy like it was supposed to?

> 2533274820230754;3:
> Oh right thanks, so was the ring too damaged to activate and destroy all life in the galaxy like it was supposed to?

I believe he just blew it up like he did in CE. Even if we say he did activate it, each ring only has a certain distance as to which it is effective, that’s why they made all of them.

> 2533274856097221;4:
> > 2533274820230754;3:
> > Oh right thanks, so was the ring too damaged to activate and destroy all life in the galaxy like it was supposed to?
>
>
> I believe he just blew it up like he did in CE. Even if we say he did activate it, each ring only has a certain distance as to which it is effective, that’s why they made all of them.

I’m sure if one ring is activated then the rest of the rings are activated, or am I wrong?

> 2533274999277194;2:
> Bc all of the flood fled to the ark to help rebuild grave-mind. Once the ring was damaged and set for destruction MC and the arbiter left the ring. The ring was destroyed blew along with the flood.

Hang on, if it was the new ring that they activated (Installation 04B I think its called), then how did the flood that were on the Ark get wiped out? Did it destroy the Ark aswell? And if it destroyed the Ark then how did it not destroy Earth if the rings are supposed to wipe out all sentient life in the galaxy?

They damaged the arks manual actuvation controls. The ring due to the damage went into destruction mode much like the first halo. The ring blew itself up only affecting everything that was on the ring. The ark is destroyed.

> 2533274999277194;7:
> They damaged the arks manual actuvation controls. The ring due to the damage went into destruction mode much like the first halo. The ring blew itself up only affecting everything that was on the ring. The ark is destroyed.

Christ I think I’m limited, I get how everything that was on the ring was destroyed now but I still don’t understand that if the flood went back to The Ark, so they weren’t on the ring that they activated at the end, how did the flood get wiped out? Or was the ring made in The Ark?

The ark was on the ring itself.

The Ark is far beyond the rim of the galaxy. Earth (and the rest of the galaxy) was not within the effective range of the replacement Installation 04, meaning that when it was activated, it only affected the ark and surrounding empty space.

> 2533274820230754;3:
> Oh right thanks, so was the ring too damaged to activate and destroy all life in the galaxy like it was supposed to?

Keep in mind that one Halo alone will not destroy all life in the galaxy. The collective firing of the entire Halo array will. Each ring has an effective radius of 25,000 light years. The replacement Installation 04 (which John activated at the end of Halo 3) was still at the Ark, far beyond the rim of the galaxy. Had John not activated the ring, it would have been completed at the Ark and then moved through a portal to its position in the galaxy. If it had been activated after that, then it would have wiped out life on Earth.

> 2533274856097221;4:
> > 2533274820230754;3:
> > Oh right thanks, so was the ring too damaged to activate and destroy all life in the galaxy like it was supposed to?
>
>
> I believe he just blew it up like he did in CE. Even if we say he did activate it, each ring only has a certain distance as to which it is effective, that’s why they made all of them.

No, he didn’t blow it up, he activated it. However, because it was still under construction, activating it resulted in the destruction of the ring, which also damaged the Ark.

> 2533274820230754;5:
> > 2533274856097221;4:
> > > 2533274820230754;3:
> > > Oh right thanks, so was the ring too damaged to activate and destroy all life in the galaxy like it was supposed to?
> >
> >
> >
> > I believe he just blew it up like he did in CE. Even if we say he did activate it, each ring only has a certain distance as to which it is effective, that’s why they made all of them.
>
>
> I’m sure if one ring is activated then the rest of the rings are activated, or am I wrong?

Depends. You can activate one ring alone from its control center (i.e. what John was about to do in Halo: Combat Evolved before Cortana stopped him) or you can activate the entire array from the Ark (i.e. what Truth forced Johnson to do in Halo 3; of course, John stopped the process right before the rings fired). If you activate the control center at the Ark, the entire array fires, if you activate the control center on a ring, only that ring fires.

> 2533274820230754;6:
> > 2533274999277194;2:
> > Bc all of the flood fled to the ark to help rebuild grave-mind. Once the ring was damaged and set for destruction MC and the arbiter left the ring. The ring was destroyed blew along with the flood.
>
>
> Hang on, if it was the new ring that they activated (Installation 04B I think its called), then how did the flood that were on the Ark get wiped out? Did it destroy the Ark aswell? And if it destroyed the Ark then how did it not destroy Earth if the rings are supposed to wipe out all sentient life in the galaxy?

Installation 04B wiped out the flood on the Ark because it was activated when it was right next to the Ark. It did not destroy the Ark, but because it was activated while it was still under construction, the ring itself was destroyed, and the destruction of the ring damaged the Ark (though it did not fully destroy the Ark). The rings collectively would wipe out all life in the galaxy that has sufficient biomass to sustain the flood, but only 04B was activated, and it was far beyond the edge of the galaxy.

> 2533274820230754;8:
> > 2533274999277194;7:
> > They damaged the arks manual actuvation controls. The ring due to the damage went into destruction mode much like the first halo. The ring blew itself up only affecting everything that was on the ring. The ark is destroyed.
>
>
> Christ I think I’m limited, I get how everything that was on the ring was destroyed now but I still don’t understand that if the flood went back to The Ark, so they weren’t on the ring that they activated at the end, how did the flood get wiped out? Or was the ring made in The Ark?

All life near 04B was destroyed when 04B was activated, including all life on the Ark, so even if the flood managed to survive the firing of the ring, they would starve to death.
The ring was made on the Ark, that’s the whole purpose of the Ark: To create Halo rings. When it was activated, it was right next to the Ark, hence the Ark being in its effective firing radius (because 04B had not yet been completed, and therefore had not yet been moved to its intended position in the galaxy).

> 2533274999277194;9:
> The ark was on the ring itself.

It would be more accurate to say that the ring was on the Ark. The Ark is bigger than a Halo ring, and Halo rings are created by the Ark.

Thanks a lot bud that has cleared up a lot of confusion! I think I finally understand it now

> 2533274823167390;10:
> The Ark is far beyond the rim of the galaxy. Earth (and the rest of the galaxy) was not within the effective range of the replacement Installation 04, meaning that when it was activated, it only affected the ark and surrounding empty space.
>
>
>
> > 2533274820230754;3:
>
>
>
> Keep in mind that one Halo alone will not destroy all life in the galaxy. The collective firing of the entire Halo array will. Each ring has an effective radius of 25,000 light years. The replacement Installation 04 (which John activated at the end of Halo 3) was still at the Ark, far beyond the rim of the galaxy. Had John not activated the ring, it would have been completed at the Ark and then moved through a portal to its position in the galaxy. If it had been activated after that, then it would have wiped out life on Earth.
>
>
>
> > 2533274856097221;4:
> > > 2533274820230754;3:
> > > Oh right thanks, so was the ring too damaged to activate and destroy all life in the galaxy like it was supposed to?
> >
> >
> >
> > I believe he just blew it up like he did in CE. Even if we say he did activate it, each ring only has a certain distance as to which it is effective, that’s why they made all of them.
>
>
>
> No, he didn’t blow it up, he activated it. However, because it was still under construction, activating it resulted in the destruction of the ring, which also damaged the Ark.
>
>
>
> > 2533274820230754;5:
> > > 2533274856097221;4:
> > > > 2533274820230754;3:
> > > > Oh right thanks, so was the ring too damaged to activate and destroy all life in the galaxy like it was supposed to?
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > I believe he just blew it up like he did in CE. Even if we say he did activate it, each ring only has a certain distance as to which it is effective, that’s why they made all of them.
> >
> >
> >
> > I’m sure if one ring is activated then the rest of the rings are activated, or am I wrong?
>
>
>
> Depends. You can activate one ring alone from its control center (i.e. what John was about to do in Halo: Combat Evolved before Cortana stopped him) or you can activate the entire array from the Ark (i.e. what Truth forced Johnson to do in Halo 3; of course, John stopped the process right before the rings fired). If you activate the control center at the Ark, the entire array fires, if you activate the control center on a ring, only that ring fires.
>
>
>
> > 2533274820230754;6:
> > > 2533274999277194;2:
> > > Bc all of the flood fled to the ark to help rebuild grave-mind. Once the ring was damaged and set for destruction MC and the arbiter left the ring. The ring was destroyed blew along with the flood.
> >
> >
> >
> > Hang on, if it was the new ring that they activated (Installation 04B I think its called), then how did the flood that were on the Ark get wiped out? Did it destroy the Ark aswell? And if it destroyed the Ark then how did it not destroy Earth if the rings are supposed to wipe out all sentient life in the galaxy?
>
>
>
> Installation 04B wiped out the flood on the Ark because it was activated when it was right next to the Ark. It did not destroy the Ark, but because it was activated while it was still under construction, the ring itself was destroyed, and the destruction of the ring damaged the Ark (though it did not fully destroy the Ark). The rings collectively would wipe out all life in the galaxy that has sufficient biomass to sustain the flood, but only 04B was activated, and it was far beyond the edge of the galaxy.
>
>
>
> > 2533274820230754;8:
> > > 2533274999277194;7:
> > > They damaged the arks manual actuvation controls. The ring due to the damage went into destruction mode much like the first halo. The ring blew itself up only affecting everything that was on the ring. The ark is destroyed.
> >
> >
> >
> > Christ I think I’m limited, I get how everything that was on the ring was destroyed now but I still don’t understand that if the flood went back to The Ark, so they weren’t on the ring that they activated at the end, how did the flood get wiped out? Or was the ring made in The Ark?
>
>
>
> All life near 04B was destroyed when 04B was activated, including all life on the Ark, so even if the flood managed to survive the firing of the ring, they would starve to death.
> The ring was made on the Ark, that’s the whole purpose of the Ark: To create Halo rings. When it was activated, it was right next to the Ark, hence the Ark being in its effective firing radius (because 04B had not yet been completed, and therefore had not yet been moved to its intended position in the galaxy).
>
>
>
> > 2533274999277194;9:
> > The ark was on the ring itself.
>
>
> It would be more accurate to say that the ring was on the Ark. The Ark is bigger than a Halo ring, and Halo rings are created by the Ark.

Gotcha. Good explanation.

A

> 2533274823167390;10:
> The Ark is far beyond the rim of the galaxy. Earth (and the rest of the galaxy) was not within the effective range of the replacement Installation 04, meaning that when it was activated, it only affected the ark and surrounding empty space.
>
>
>
> > 2533274820230754;3:
>
>
>
> Keep in mind that one Halo alone will not destroy all life in the galaxy. The collective firing of the entire Halo array will. Each ring has an effective radius of 25,000 light years. The replacement Installation 04 (which John activated at the end of Halo 3) was still at the Ark, far beyond the rim of the galaxy. Had John not activated the ring, it would have been completed at the Ark and then moved through a portal to its position in the galaxy. If it had been activated after that, then it would have wiped out life on Earth.

Hang on? I understand all about the Ark being far away from the galaxy so Earth wasn’t harmed. But in Halo: CE, the final mission ‘The Maw’ has a description of ‘Destroy Halo before Halo destroys all life in the galaxy’. So according to CE, Installation 04 itself would destroy all life in the galaxy when activated, or was this cleared up in Halo 2 when they discovered the other ring?

> 2533274820230754;14:
> Hang on? I understand all about the Ark being far away from the galaxy so Earth wasn’t harmed. But in Halo: CE, the final mission ‘The Maw’ has a description of ‘Destroy Halo before Halo destroys all life in the galaxy’. So according to CE, Installation 04 itself would destroy all life in the galaxy when activated, or was this cleared up in Halo 2 when they discovered the other ring?

The rings are connected to a “network”. When an installation senses that another has fired, it too activates, thus creating a “chain reaction”. If one Halo goes off, they all go off. However, when the firing of a ring is interrupted, all installations go on standby and can only be activated from the Ark.

> 2533274821881749;15:
> > 2533274820230754;14:
> > Hang on? I understand all about the Ark being far away from the galaxy so Earth wasn’t harmed. But in Halo: CE, the final mission ‘The Maw’ has a description of ‘Destroy Halo before Halo destroys all life in the galaxy’. So according to CE, Installation 04 itself would destroy all life in the galaxy when activated, or was this cleared up in Halo 2 when they discovered the other ring?
>
>
> The rings are connected to a “network”. When an installation senses that another has fired, it too activates, thus creating a “chain reaction”. If one Halo goes off, they all go off. However, when the firing of a ring is interrupted, all installations go on standby and can only be activated from the Ark.

That has cleared everything up now, thanks!

The halo ring exploded instead of simply activating. Not only that but, even if it went off, nothing else would happened. IF one ring activates then only one ring activates, they only all activate if they are activated from the Ark.