Concerned for the Assault Rifle?

So I, as many people, was slightly concerned for the Assault Rifle because it appeared it would be as worthless as in pervious games.

Then I watched this. Skip to about 1:48. The player engages an Assault Rifle with a BR and gets absolutely wrecked.

Even if he had to finish him with the pistol I felt better after seeing this.

It looks decent…

Its hard to tell due to the poor aim of the enemy plus the fact that the blue was also being team shot (the killing blow comes from an unseen BR). It kinda seems that the spread is alot less than in previous Halos but again I can’t properly see. I did here one MLG player who experimented with the AR say that yes it was just as worthless as in 3 and Reach which made me very sad

The AR seemed to really drain his shields quickly.

The AR wasn’t worthless in previous games.

I’m concerned that the bloom will be too large and it will be too much of a close range niche weapon.

I haven’t been too impressed with it so far. It better be at least as powerful as the H3 AR(16 shots) or all the claims 343 made of it being a beast were complete fluff.

I dont know the BR missed a ton he should have won that I think.

I had no problem with the AR in any previous game. It seems like one of the guns that pretty much hasn’t changed in my perspection except for looks.

Another one? Sigh.

The AR is fine the way it is. It doesn’t need to be beefed up or redesigned.

> Another one? Sigh.
>
> The AR is fine the way it is. It doesn’t need to be beefed up or redesigned.

Reading is hard. Try again.

It looks more powerful, look how quick his overshields drained.

I don’t really mind if the assault rifle is weak or strong though because I rarely use it.

> > Another one? Sigh.
> >
> > The AR is fine the way it is. It doesn’t need to be beefed up or redesigned.
>
> Reading is hard. Try again.

Sorry. It’s my default response to threads whining about the AR.

> It looks more powerful, look how quick his overshields drained.
>
>
> I don’t really mind if the assault rifle is weak or strong though because I rarely use it.

yoink … the AR needs to be a primary weapon not a water gun

because we’ll have to use it often in Campaign and Spartan-Ops

> The AR wasn’t worthless in previous games.
>
> I’m concerned that the bloom will be too large and it will be too much of a close range niche weapon.

What’s wrong with the bloom? It opens pretty instantly and at it’s fullest it looks the same size as the CE Assault Rifle reticule. For all we know it could just be an animation and not an actual mechanic.

The guy was getting shot from 2 people.

Lets not forget that guns are still being tweaked in terms of damage, range, ect.

It’s looked good to me so far… looks stronger than past releases. I’m not one to really use the AR tho. I see myself switching between the DMR/BR in Halo 4, definitely the DMR if the BR remains a 5-shot.

Im not nervous about the AR at all. It looks and sounds awesome. All weapons are being tweaked and 343i already stated they are working on balancing the sandbox.

I’m not too worried at all.

Seeing how the Assault Rifle has to compete with the Storm Rifle as a close range automatic weapon and the Storm Rifle really rips opponents apart at close range, I’m expecting the same of the Assault Rifle.

Nothing wrong with any of the ARs in any Halo.