Concerned - But Hope I'm Wrong

I’m concerned about our expectations. I have seen a lot of excitement about the possibility of AI Forge, so much that people believe that it’s a thing in Infinite. Most likely from a certain image being circulating.

As a developer myself, Ai forge is of course doable. But the fact that 343 are developing AI for multiplayer is a huge task never mind AI with forge, especially with how complex the gameplay is in halo. Playing the flight and looking at the current state of the AI pathing, they struggle with the stairs on recharge and jumping for the camo on Live fire.
I highly doubt we will see AI with forge unless there’s a huge emphasis in production on this aspect of the game as it’s not something simply thrown together.

I would love to be proven wrong. I have the feeling there is going to be a lot of disappointed people when there is no AI Forging in this game.
At the very most I could see AI forging in firefight, where players can’t modify walls or collisions that would affect AI pathing.

PS One other small thing I’ve heard a lot about, especially in chat when playing the flight was the AI were learning and getting better? Please tell me if I’ve missed something but I haven’t heard 343 mention machine learning bots? If that was the case the bot would have been hammering us by the end of the flight plus I’m sure there be more talk by devs if they made something as new and dynamic as that.

PSS this isn’t a bash on the game or 343, I think they’ve done an amazing job and I loved the flight <3

Sadly… I agree.

I hope nobody is expecting the AI to run around their custom maps the same way they did during the flights…

But on the same token… they are clearly putting a lot of effort into the AI… and this bodes well for not only multiplayer - but also Campaign.

And in Forge we may have more Campaign type AI available. Place the enemy… define their zone of movement / firing / protection.

Fingers crossed.

> 2585548714655118;2:
> Sadly… I agree.
>
> I hope nobody is expecting the AI to run around their custom maps the same way they did during the flights…
>
> But on the same token… they are clearly putting a lot of effort into the AI… and this bodes well for not only multiplayer - but also Campaign.
>
> And in Forge we may have more Campaign type AI available. Place the enemy… define their zone of movement / firing / protection.
>
> Fingers crossed.

For sure! I guess I like to think the worst before jumping to exciting conclusions. but as you said, I hope people don’t think Bots will run around the crazy infection map they’ve created.
Fingers Crossed

I’m no programer by any means but, I think we’re over complicating a problem that may not even exist as far as AI bots running around on a custom map and the fear of it getting stuck on walls etc.

I mean if a brainless vacuum cleaner can clean any shape house, I think we’ll be okay with gaming AI these days. Again, I’m no game programer so, I could be totally wrong. I’m more optimistic the technology exist verses will we actually be able to have AI in forge.

We have to remember that everything that was shown to us is not what we will have at launch. AI’s may have had problems in the flight, but those issues may be resolved by the time the game itself is launched or maybe even by the next technical flight. Who knows? I think we should just wait and see what we get next.

It all depends on how they view objects. I think this is the best iteration of AI yet. My roomba cleans my house no problem with smart technology. I’m sure it’s easier with video game AI from 343 and Microsoft.

I have no idea when it comes to programming and developing but I definitely assume that it is a gruesome task to complete, so I’m kinda just rolling with the ball and getting what I get, I hope most of the community doesn’t assume what we’ll get.

Everyone talking about Roomba cleaning their home compared to AI navigating a custom map…Its not even remotely the same.

I am expecting AI tools to be in forge to some extent - even if it was just for bots. At this point, I would be shocked if it will never happen - even post launch. It is a feature people have been requesting for over a decade now. And now that Halo is going back its sandbox design philosophy, the ability to edit AI in forge is a desire I have more than ever. AI are a huge part to sandbox interactions. It would be a shame if we never get anything.

But you are absolutely right that we need to keep our expectations in check. The only things I want in Halo Infinite is: A solid campaign, a solid multiplayer (+ a healthy amount of game types and maps at launch), decent customization, and a great forge. We are on track to most of this, but we have yet to see anything related to forge. While H5’s forge is phenomenal, I hope Infinite’s is not a copy/paste of it and there are significant additions.

Well theoretically speaking you could build an AI smart enough to identify and process certain patterns in behavior and of course formulate a response, it has already been done in chess games, how they would do it in a shooter game is puzzling but not impossible.

The AI in Infinite was amazing. They had some issues… but wow. It’s a very promising start.

But I don’t think you can compare the algorithm complexities with a simple vacuum cleaner. Not even in the same ball park.

You have to co-ordinate four bots… to move through a 3D space… as a team… against 4 opponents who can move completely unpredictably. Plus the all the vagaries of weapons, equipment, and so on.