Concept for new trilogy

A single persistent universe that all gamers participate within.

Imagine Halo with a universe where all players are in the same game data, much like Dust/Eve games. This would lead to some unique ideas if the execution was right.

Say 343i have the single/co-op campaign but make multiplayer more than just random games without story/canon meaning. By this I mean mini-stories and an overall universe map are used for gamers to set preferences or select where/when/why they want to fight in multiplayer.

The resulting outcomes from those multiplayer matches could sum up to win/loses of certain territories, assets and/or weapons and vehicles.

Potential exists for players to select Elites, Spartans and possibly other races such as Forerunners, Hunters etc all with home worlds and technology unique to them. This sets the stage for the multiplayer games in matchmaking.

Players new to the game would simply load up matchmaking and be lead into a more involved multiplayer with outcomes that dynamically shape their next multiplayer series of games and choices.

Some days you want to fight for the Elites and others Spartans etc. You’re still free to do as you wish.

The longer multiplayer exist the more the community shapes the overall universe. This way multiplayer games actually add up to their own multiplayer story and canon in affect.

For example a team of friends who used to like Big Team join up and select Spartans then chose on a universe-map that they would like to attack a city on the Elite’s home world. The game loads against another team that chose to play as Elites and the usual matchmaking occur.

The map and game type may be a little random but specific to that home world region and if slayer then just statistics with perhaps a running total to territory captured. However if an objective game was in play then the goal and results would be very relevant to the overall universe.

Further potential exists where certain areas/worlds/maps could not be accessed unless other areas were held or taken first. Much like invasion but in a more overall across multiple games and a persistent universe aspect.

343i could also tie to daily challenges or goals with achievements and rewards to those more dedicate teams and/or important games.

This could also give rise back to clans and development on the split between Spartans/Elites that Halo 2 introduced to the gamer playing the campaign.

Now think of the website statistics…you would be able to view things at a global level; such as Elites whooped Spartans this week and lost 33% of the galaxy to their control.

Anyhow I think this sort of thing is where Bungie’s new game is heading I was curious what Halo fans thought about the new Halo 4 or trilogy following the same?

What you’re talking about sounds a little like Planetside.
As Planetside 2 is about to come out it will be interesting to see how people will react to it (the first sadly didn’t go too well).

What you’re saying could work, but it too me sounds more of a spin off game than a full trilogy.

But I think adding in a full time Spartans vs X gametype with stats from all the games put together at the end of a season could work I guess.

ps. Halo should have the clan system back anyways.

so…Like an MMO FPS?
not in the reclaimer trilogy, but as a seperate game if someone else took it up, if it could be done right…
Could be awesome.

> so…Like an MMO FPS?
> not in the reclaimer trilogy, but as a seperate game if someone else took it up, if it could be done right…
> Could be awesome.

Somewhat but less pigeon-holed than that label gives it.

For example players who do not care about the story or overall system simply play normal multiplayer and get matched into games. Without them realising the outcome of such games still go back to the single universe data.

As they choose to learn or do more they simply are drawn into things more.

Imagine this series of events -

1. Halo 4 is released, standard multiplayer and standard campaign are part of the game.

2. Between Halo 4-5 another game similar to Halo Wars is released. The researching and outcomes of those multiplayer matches affect the multiplayer games, loadouts and bases etc for you still playing Halo 4 multiplayer.

3. Halo 5 releases and new technology or maps have to be captured which are then available to certain races or types of players or clans etc.

4. The new trilogy introduces map editors on the PC or via Forge as usual. Such maps are submitted and become part of the single universe. Forever expanding it.

5. Multiplayer already has this with Halo 3 & Reach and players already vote/veto certain gametype/map creations. In a single universe this would result in area/maps just not being visited if they’re not as popular etc.

6. DLC becomes additions to the story/technology/locations/art/objects to forge etc. This part is much like MMO.

It would be interesting to see how developers and players would benefit from such a dynamic system.

> What you’re talking about sounds a little like Planetside.
> As Planetside 2 is about to come out it will be interesting to see how people will react to it (the first sadly didn’t go too well).
>
> But I think adding in a full time Spartans vs X gametype with stats from all the games put together at the end of a season could work I guess.
>
> ps. Halo should have the clan system back anyways.

Planetside 2 looks interesting and along very similar lines.

I agree clans should come back.