Complex Walkthrough from IGN!

Here’s the new video for Complex, courtesy of IGN!

Enjoy!

Played Flood on this map at Eurogamer Expo, worked really well with the gametype but I would have loved to do some CTF on it.

They showed my 2 least favorite maps this week :frowning:

Thanks OP

First impressions:

I didn’t like how he said it was a 4v4 map. I know the usual argument is that sprint requires larger maps for Halo 4 than any other Halo game, but this map seems way too large to support only 8 players. 6v6 would be ideal, and 8v8 would function fine, I imagine.

I think the vehicle set is fine - Warthogs wouldn’t be effective and Banshee’s would ruin the entire idea of Complex - quick routes on foot.

I enjoy playing these sorts of asymmetrical, BTB maps. Complex reminds me of Highlands from Halo Reach, where you had buildings mixed into the scenery and plenty of opportunity to use a Sniper, DMR, or Shotgun. The intertwining pathways is something that we haven’t seen much of in Halo 4, and I’m excited to see some unique choke-points on the map.

I read that " a complex walkthrough by IGN!" like they don’t do in depth ones cuz they’re bad XD

> I read that " a complex walkthrough by IGN!" like they don’t do in depth ones cuz they’re bad XD

I thought one of the quotes was hilarious when he said, “You’ve got a complex design of pathways” hahaha

And yes, the interviewer is terrible. He always asks incredibly pointless things like:

“It seems like playing Rockets only would be fun”

or

“Wow, the Banshee would be fun here”

This is clearly aimed as a BIG TEAM map. Complex looks amazing. A very tactical, strategic map. Very Halo 2-3 in design.

> This is clearly aimed as a BIG TEAM map. Complex looks amazing. A very tactical, strategic map. Very Halo 2-3 in design.

Which is why I thought it was odd he said it played better for 4v4.

I don’t like how they said Complex could be a 4v4 map when it is clearly a 12-16 player map. I really don’t want BTB maps in Team Slayer again just so people can hide with camo.

> I don’t like how they said Complex could be a 4v4 map when it is clearly a 12-16 player map. I really don’t want BTB maps in Team Slayer again just so people can hide with camo.

Maps like Paradiso, Hemorrhage, and Boardwalk didn’t really belong in Team Slayer at all. Boardwalk was difficult, since it worked reasonably well with 4v4, but ultimately it was too large.

Really don’t like complex so far. Seems far too over-complicate and cluttered with a lot of seemingly excess and redundant space. It might be good for objective BTB but I can’t see it working for anything else, except maybe snipers.

> I didn’t like how he said it was a 4v4 map. I know the usual argument is that sprint requires larger maps for Halo 4 than any other Halo game, but this map seems way too large to support only 8 players. 6v6 would be ideal, and 8v8 would function fine, I imagine.

That got to me too. Maybe it was just a slip of the tongue but regardless it is definitely not a 4v4 map.

I really can’t help but question the decision to give Kynan Pearson the role of lead map designer. I’ll give the maps a chance and go in with an open mind and all, but he really does not come across as suitable for such a role on a game with multiplayer the calibre of Halo. In interviews he seems uninteresting (maybe just the interviewer) and he comes across as though he doesn’t know what to talk about despite currently walking through and displaying something he presumably had a very involved role in. I would have thought a map designer would barely be able to stop talking when showing off their work.

That and the only thing of note he did before joining 343 was working as a level designer on the 2nd and 3rd Metroid Prime games. Surely someone leading the design of multiplayer maps should have a background of designing multiplayer maps on a very multiplayer heavy title?

I don’t mean to belittle or insult him or anything like that; I just really can’t find any justification for giving him such an important role on a game like Halo, especially considering the brilliant quality of maps we had in CE, H2 and even H3.

Looks pretty good, I can’t wait to give it try.

> Really don’t like complex so far. Seems far too over-complicate and cluttered with a lot of seemingly excess and redundant space. It might be good for objective BTB but I can’t see it working for anything else, except maybe snipers.
>
>
>
> > I didn’t like how he said it was a 4v4 map. I know the usual argument is that sprint requires larger maps for Halo 4 than any other Halo game, but this map seems way too large to support only 8 players. 6v6 would be ideal, and 8v8 would function fine, I imagine.
>
> That got to me too. Maybe it was just a slip of the tongue but regardless it is definitely not a 4v4 map.
>
> I really can’t help but question the decision to give Kynan Pearson the role of lead map designer. I’ll give the maps a chance and go in with an open mind and all, but he really does not come across as suitable for such a role on a game with multiplayer the calibre of Halo. In interviews he seems uninteresting (maybe just the interviewer) and he comes across as though he doesn’t know what to talk about despite currently walking through and displaying something he presumably had a very involved role in. I would have thought a map designer would barely be able to stop talking when showing off their work.
>
> That and the only thing of note he did before joining 343 was working as a level designer on the 2nd and 3rd Metroid Prime games. Surely someone leading the design of multiplayer maps should have a background of designing multiplayer maps on a very multiplayer heavy title?
>
> I don’t mean to belittle or insult him or anything like that; I just really can’t find any justification for giving him such an important role on a game like Halo, especially considering the brilliant quality of maps we had in CE, H2 and even H3.

I think you’re right. While it could partly be the interviewer’s fault (as I mentioned a few posts up), he doesn’t seem to know where to begin or what details he should include, etc. Also, it seems like every single map he’s talked about so far has been ideal for “Objective, but, you know, Slayer could also work with it I guess.” I really don’t see Adrift as an Objective map, but apparently it was built with that purpose.

I just think the walkthroughs should be left to Geoff and Jack from Roosterteeth, like they did with the Halo Anniversary maps. Those were entertaining and showed off the map, and it wouldn’t matter about content since Kynan doesn’t really talk about anything gameplay-related anyway.

Doesn’t look like a 4v4 map to me…I’d say mid sized parties would be better here.

Looks good overall, kind of reminds me of that facility from ME3’s From Ashes DLC (where you find the Prothean). It has that clean, throw back 70’s/80’s sci fi look the ME series does so well.
Not sure if this will be one of my favorite maps, but we’ll see.

Very good walkthrough of the map. Thanks for the link, OP.

> > I don’t like how they said Complex could be a 4v4 map when it is clearly a 12-16 player map. I really don’t want BTB maps in Team Slayer again just so people can hide with camo.
>
> Maps like Paradiso, Hemorrhage, and Boardwalk didn’t really belong in Team Slayer at all. Boardwalk was difficult, since it worked reasonably well with 4v4, but ultimately it was too large.

It didn’t, though. Unless either side of the game playing were idiots, it was a campy mess.

The maps are looking great I think but man those videos are painful! The interviewer just makes stupidly simple comments and asks pointless questions like “What can the mongoose do on this map?”. Well interviewer I would say the same thing as it does on any map or game it’s ever been on. We could be learning some really interesting facts about the maps but no.

> I think you’re right. While it could partly be the interviewer’s fault (as I mentioned a few posts up), he doesn’t seem to know where to begin or what details he should include, etc. Also, it seems like every single map he’s talked about so far has been ideal for “Objective, but, you know, Slayer could also work with it I guess.” I really don’t see Adrift as an Objective map, but apparently it was built with that purpose.
>
> I just think the walkthroughs should be left to Geoff and Jack from Roosterteeth, like they did with the Halo Anniversary maps. Those were entertaining and showed off the map, and it wouldn’t matter about content since Kynan doesn’t really talk about anything gameplay-related anyway.

Yeah exactly. You’d think a map designer would be going into detail over all the little things like sight lines, weapon placement, tactics, objective placements, the reasoning behind different things and so on; all the things a map designer should know a lot about and take into consideration incredibly deeply.

Maybe i’m just being harsh and it literally is just bad interviewing, but we only need to look back to Reach to see what giving someone a role they aren’t suitable for can do to a game. (i.e. Sage Merrill)

There could be at least one Warthog on this map

Wow, Complex looks more complex then I thought it was.