Complaints about sound design.

First off if you really don’t like the sound design in Halo 4 then fine, you are entitled to your opinion just as much as anyone else is.

However… The vast majority of gameplay we have seen, and heard, has come courtesy of off screen camera footage through youtube. You simply can not compare this quality with the final quality of the game.

I have a fair bit of experience in sound design, and in my very limited opinion the sound design in H4 is unfrikinbelievable. Satoro Tojima, the audio director for Halo 4, is a world renowned audio director. His work on the Metal Gear Series is phenomenal and he is quite rightly considered to be at the top of his field.

I recommend that you view, and listen, to some of the gameplay of H4 through waypoint on your xbox connected to any good sound system. If you can do this and then come back here and give some genuine feedback on exactly what is wrong with it then I would be very interested, because from what I have heard so far the sound design of Halo 4, combined with the amazing work of Neil Davidge on the soundtrack, means that Halo 4 could be possibly one of the best sounding games ever made.

Yeah! that’s why half the weapons sound -Yoink-! : D

> Yeah! that’s why half the weapons sound Yoink!! : D

i cant tell if your complaining or supporting the sound lol, i think it sounds sick, especially the needler! i love the new needler !

did i mention the needler?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5DTF9bpwAI&feature=player_embedded

In game footage, you be the judge…

> Yeah! that’s why half the weapons sound Yoink!! : D

You sir, are quite misinformed…

I think the game as a whole is very impressive, in terms of sound quality. Working with the Military was definitely a good move and will go a long way towards making this game feel more real. Despite being a Sci-Fi Shooter, The UNSC guns should have a more realistic sound and I think they’ve found good middle ground between realism and Sci-Fi with what I’ve heard thus far. I especially like the new sound for the DMR. It sounds raw and very powerful, as it should be.
The music is in VERY good hands with Neil and Satoro, considering their prior experience. Metal Gear Solid has always had some of my favorite music, so it’s good to see someone of that caliber working on a Halo game. At this point, Halo 4 is looking to be quite possibly the best Halo ever made.

> > Yeah! that’s why half the weapons sound Yoink!! : D
>
> You sir, are quite misinformed…
>
> I think the game as a whole is very impressive, in terms of sound quality. Working with the Military was definitely a good move and will go a long way towards making this game feel more real. Despite being a Sci-Fi Shooter, The UNSC guns should have a more realistic sound and I think they’ve found good middle ground between realism and Sci-Fi with what I’ve heard thus far. I especially like the new sound for the DMR. It sounds raw and very powerful, as it should be.
> The music is in VERY good hands with Neil and Satoro, considering their prior experience. Metal Gear Solid has always had some of my favorite music, so it’s good to see someone of that caliber working on a Halo game. At this point, Halo 4 is looking to be quite possibly the best Halo ever made.

I don’t think he is misinformed… it’s his opinion.

Besides I like the new sounds of the UNSC weapons… but the covie weapons just sound like garbage to put it bluntly. They do not sound anything like their predecessors

The quality of the sound isn’t the problem. It’s the CONTENT of the sound that many of us have problems with. It doesn’t sound like Halo.

> The quality of the sound isn’t the problem. It’s the CONTENT of the sound that many of us have problems with. It doesn’t sound like Halo.

This. A thousand times this.

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5DTF9bpwAI&feature=player_embedded
>
> In game footage, you be the judge…

It is still YouTube. You simply can’t use YT to judge the quality of the sound design of the game.

Listen to the gameplay videos on waypoint through your Xbox connected to a good quality sound system. It sounds awesome… :slight_smile:

> The quality of the sound isn’t the problem. It’s the CONTENT of the sound that many of us have problems with. It doesn’t sound like Halo.

What precisely doesn’t sound like Halo?

Disagree, Halo 4 doesn’t have anything on the previous Halo game-sounds.

I think the sounds are great. Crisp and fresh. Im sure there is still some quality control going on before the launch :slight_smile:

> > The quality of the sound isn’t the problem. It’s the CONTENT of the sound that many of us have problems with. It doesn’t sound like Halo.
>
> What precisely doesn’t sound like Halo?

The Magnum and Shotgun = Vomit.

> > The quality of the sound isn’t the problem. It’s the CONTENT of the sound that many of us have problems with. It doesn’t sound like Halo.
>
> What precisely doesn’t sound like Halo?

Have you heard any of the covie weapons bro? They are just awful

I’ll agree to disagree… dunno how your ears work but mine are loving the new sound design.

I’m just glad the sounds have changed.

The series needs to be mixed up, and I’m glad they’re doing it.

Everyone here complains about COD rehashes; yet as soon 343 started making substantial changes everyone complains about those.

> The Magnum and Shotgun = Vomit.

Mmm, thanks for the constructive reply?

Have you listened to the game through a proper sound system? The reason I ask this is because I don’t think I have heard an actual complaint from anyone who has.

All of the feedback I have seen from people who have actually played the game at E3, PAX etc has been extremely positve in regards to the sound design.

I was one of the ones that made a complaint thread and I have watched the videos on my waypoint using my BOSE sound system. Explosions and gunfire is unbelievable when playing Halo 3 or Reach. The crack of the BR and the punch from the sniper is amazing. The Halo 4 sniper is lacking in so much power it sounds like a damn nail gun. It’s at least a 50 cal so it should sound like one. The BR is missing that crack you can here when it’s being fired across the map.

It seems like 343 has a problem of changing every little detail because it’s “their own game.” I know it’s a new trilogy in all but does it make any sense whatsoever that the jackals look different completely? I can see graphics updates but thats not a graphic update.

I am away from my 360 at the moment so I can’t test it out to see if there is a difference…

Battlefield-ing the sounds is a step back, I want loud, strong BAM BAMS- not muffled poakpoak-la IRL weapon audio recording.

Anyway, three sounds are the most important to me, Iconic Warthog noise, Banshee wail and Snipah bawm.