Competitve gamers/MLG not worth catering to?

This is from an interview with Sunny D founder of MLG and the home of competitve Halo over the last decade:

> MLG is growing up as a new generation of gamers are growing up. To that generation there isn’t much of a difference between us and traditional professional sports leagues. Our Pro Circuit competitions have continued to grow in reach event after event over the last two years. The 2012 MLG Pro Circuit Spring Championship shattered records reaching more than 4.7 million unique online viewers over the weekend and 2.2 million unique viewers on Championship Sunday with more male 18-24 year old viewers than the 2012 Rose Bowl.

Full interview can be found Here

Millions of gamers not worth a decent ranking system or spectator mode?

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

Would you like some cheese with that whine?

> This is from an interview with Sunny D founder of MLG and the home of competitve Halo over the last decade:
>
>
>
> > MLG is growing up as a new generation of gamers are growing up. To that generation there isn’t much of a difference between us and traditional professional sports leagues. Our Pro Circuit competitions have continued to grow in reach event after event over the last two years. The 2012 MLG Pro Circuit Spring Championship shattered records reaching more than 4.7 million unique online viewers over the weekend and 2.2 million unique viewers on Championship Sunday with more male 18-24 year old viewers than the 2012 Rose Bowl.
>
> Full interview can be found Here
>
> Millions of gamers not worth a decent ranking system or spectator mode?

Yet apparently we are a tiny minority. Like less than 1% of the player base.

lol…

Short answer: Yes, they are not worth catering to.

Long answer: You shouldn’t cater to just one group of people, in this case MLG, because if you cater to one group, you drive away other groups. No every single feature and setting that MLG loves, is also loved by everyone else. That’s the nature of the beast.

You build a building, and paint it blue, you’re pleasing the people who like blue, but not the ones who don’t like blue, or any other colors.

As a business stand point, catering to MLG and ONLY MLG would kill Halo, yes, MLG would kill Halo if it was catered to. Just like if you cater to only “casuals”, you’d kill Halo.

Yes in a small way MLG has helped Halo become popular, but remember, MLG also started in Halo, back in Halo CE, back when the game was built for the so called “Causal” gamers.
If MLG could still have competitive game play on Halo CE, then guess what, the same can be said about MLG and Halo 4.

> > This is from an interview with Sunny D founder of MLG and the home of competitve Halo over the last decade:
> >
> >
> >
> > > MLG is growing up as a new generation of gamers are growing up. To that generation there isn’t much of a difference between us and traditional professional sports leagues. Our Pro Circuit competitions have continued to grow in reach event after event over the last two years. The 2012 MLG Pro Circuit Spring Championship shattered records reaching more than 4.7 million unique online viewers over the weekend and 2.2 million unique viewers on Championship Sunday with more male 18-24 year old viewers than the 2012 Rose Bowl.
> >
> > Full interview can be found Here
> >
> > Millions of gamers not worth a decent ranking system or spectator mode?
>
> Yet apparently we are a tiny minority. Like less than 1% of the player base.
>
> lol…

Ignorance is bliss I guess. 343/Microsoft is only losing out while their main competitor Blackops 2 sees the trends and is heavily investing in e-sports/competitve gamers.

> Long answer: You shouldn’t cater to just one group of people, in this case MLG, because if you cater to one group, you drive away other groups. No every single feature and setting that MLG loves, is also loved by everyone else. That’s the nature of the beast.

lol…

Implying MLG and competitive players want the entirety of the game catered to them and them alone.

Funny thing is, the exact opposite is true.

The other funny thing is, it’s the casuals who refuse to accept anything that has competitive merit because the game, apparently, is only allowed to be catered to them.

Not in many people’s minds. No. They are not worth catering to.

> Before I talk about Halo 4, it’s very important for everyone to understand this. The developer bashing that happens in our community has to stop. Every time Halo 4 details are released, the competitive community is there to rip apart every detail and publicly blast 343 about their decisions. If this continues, I would not be surprised if the majority of developers walk away from the competitive audience and consider them a community that simply cannot be satisfied. When you see new information on an upcoming game, think about the positives it could bring to the game first. If you’re certain it’s something that will simply not work, come together with positive feedback on how to improve it or tweak it. Blasting employee Twitter accounts and bashing the game hurts everyone.

MLG dug itself in, now you can work your way out.

You aren’t actually suggesting those numbers related to MLG Halo specifically are you? Sundance never even mentioned Halo in direct response to what games MLG has to offer…

MLG shifted the main stage to Starcraft and those numbers come from that game not Halo.

Sure MLG Halo is popular, you’ll be getting an MLG playlist and those settings are always in flux from MLG anyhow.

What are you suggesting exactly? Spectator mode and ranking system? Sure I’m happy for the MLG or ranked community to get that. Just don’t go thinking the entire Halo game has to fit the MLG sandbox because that won’t fly.

Wow the ranking system has absolutely NO bearing on MLG.
Nice try OP

MLG is boring anyway.

> Wow the ranking system has absolutely NO bearing on MLG.
> Nice try OP

Nothing could be further from the truth.

1-50 skill based ranks help MLG flourish.

People strived to improve their game. They strived to reach milestones and when they were ready, they would take it to the next level with MLG/Gamebattles etc.

With this stupid progression rubbish, there is never a reason to improve. You get rewarded without even playing…

> Short answer: Yes, they are not worth catering to.
>
> Long answer: You shouldn’t cater to just one group of people, in this case MLG, because if you cater to one group, you drive away other groups. No every single feature and setting that MLG loves, is also loved by everyone else. That’s the nature of the beast.
>
> You build a building, and paint it blue, you’re pleasing the people who like blue, but not the ones who don’t like blue, or any other colors.
>
> As a business stand point, catering to MLG and ONLY MLG would kill Halo, yes, MLG would kill Halo if it was catered to. Just like if you cater to only “casuals”, you’d kill Halo.
>
> Yes in a small way MLG has helped Halo become popular, but remember, MLG also started in Halo, back in Halo CE, back when the game was built for the so called “Causal” gamers.
> If MLG could still have competitive game play on Halo CE, then guess what, the same can be said about MLG and Halo 4.

Really Halo a title that started out for the Mac/PC was built specifically as a casual game? Bungie would not agree with you calling Halo a casual game and either would Jaime Greismer someone who worked on the original Halo:

> GR: Did you ever think that Halo would make such an impression at the release?

> Jaime: We were very happy with the results, so we anticipated a certain effect, from critics, from our fans and some new gamers that hasnt played any of our other games before. We didnt anticipate that we would get such an effect at the Xbox-release. Halo was made with hardcore-gamers in mind, but many that play the game have never played any other FPS-games before, and they really lived their way into the game. It is a top-score to have achived this.

Also I am not stupid enough to believe that Halo multiplayer should be made for MLG, I am saying more could be done to ensure success in that aspect and all HR and H4 are looking to do is focus on the casuals when Halo has ALWAYS had a sizable competitve audience that cannot be argued with. Casuals did not LAN H1 and form MLG.

> Implying MLG and competitive players want the entirety of the game catered to them and them alone.

Halo 4 is being catered to EVERYONE, not just MLG, nor competitive, but some MLG and competitive players want the game catered to them and them alone.

> Funny thing is, the exact opposite is true.

Both sides of this stupid little coin you use is just as stubborn.

> The other funny thing is, it’s the casuals who refuse to accept anything that has competitive merit because the game, apparently, is only allowed to be catered to them.

First of all, ditch the casual crap.
second, there’s competitive players who don’t accept anything that so called “Casuals” want. IE fall damage, AAs, Load outs, bloom, and the list goes on. I’ve been on the forums for over a year now, and every time a feature was announced that the competitive community didn’t like, guess who got the blame. the so called “casuals”, so I guess I’m implying that competitive gamers can get chips on their shoulders and their heads where the sun don’t shine sometimes cause they’re not getting catered to on an individual level.

> > Wow the ranking system has absolutely NO bearing on MLG.
> > Nice try OP
>
> Nothing could be further from the truth.
>
> 1-50 skill based ranks help MLG flourish.
>
> People strived to improve their game. They strived to reach milestones and when they were ready, they would take it to the next level with MLG/Gamebattles etc.
>
> With this stupid progression rubbish, there is never a reason to improve. You get rewarded without even playing…

MLG is all custom games. They don’t have ranks or anything at tournaments and their in game rank has nothing to do with the league.
Try again

> > Wow the ranking system has absolutely NO bearing on MLG.
> > Nice try OP
>
> Nothing could be further from the truth.
>
> 1-50 skill based ranks help MLG flourish.
>
> People strived to improve their game. They strived to reach milestones and when they were ready, they would take it to the next level with MLG/Gamebattles etc.
>
> With this stupid progression rubbish, there is never a reason to improve. You get rewarded without even playing…

Players naturally strive to get better, it’s not just MLG players you know.

Me on the other hand I progressed through the ranks of Halo 3 50’s in slayer and objective and just kept on playing those playlists.

Why? That’s how I like my Halo. I don’t like the MLG stripped down version, it lacks variety and radar while promoting spawn kills. None of which I like.

> You aren’t actually suggesting those numbers related to MLG Halo specifically are you? Sundance never even mentioned Halo in direct response to what games MLG has to offer…
>
> MLG shifted the main stage to Starcraft and those numbers come from that game not Halo.
>
> Sure MLG Halo is popular, you’ll be getting an MLG playlist and those settings are always in flux from MLG anyhow.
>
> What are you suggesting exactly? Spectator mode and ranking system? Sure I’m happy for the MLG or ranked community to get that. Just don’t go thinking the entire Halo game has to fit the MLG sandbox because that won’t fly.

No, but I am saying the competitve audience is alot bigger than 343 gives it credit for and its ridiculous for example that kill-cams are a more vital feature than a spectator mode.

I dont see ANY ranking system or spectator mode and I think its a huge mistake on 343’s part not to include features for the competitve audience.

I’m a competitive gamer, and I’m being catered to :slight_smile:

> Halo 4 is being catered to EVERYONE, not just MLG, nor competitive, but some MLG and competitive players want the game catered to them and them alone.

No, it isn’t.

Only one out of the box map is even remotely useable in a competitive 4v4 enironment and the games settings CANNOT be altered to make them properly competitive either.

> Both sides of this stupid little coin you use is just as stubborn.

Wrong again. Competitive and MLG players want social, they want grifball SWAT infection etc. They have absolutely no problem with the game having casual elements. Casual players refuse to accept anything with competitive merit.

> First of all, ditch the casual crap.
> second, there’s competitive players who don’t accept anything that so called “Casuals” want. IE fall damage, AAs, Load outs, bloom, and the list goes on. I’ve been on the forums for over a year now, and every time a feature was announced that the competitive community didn’t like, guess who got the blame. the so called “casuals”, so I guess I’m implying that competitive gamers can get chips on their shoulders and their heads where the sun don’t shine sometimes cause they’re not getting catered to on an individual level.

The reason competitive players complained is because these changes are every where. They cannot be removed. They are the “normal” settings. These settings are a checklist of crap you don’t have in competitive settings. These things only exist for the casual market and nothing more.

CoD has casual gamers wrapped around its finger. Now there going for the hardcore and there gonna get a good amount of them with the new direction they are taking. Halo however it seems is just going for the casuals, that are not gonna stop playing CoD. Its a shame since Halo is the better game.

No, OP. Apparently:

• Some users feel that people don’t think a pixel next to there name is beneficial; yet the same people don’t even admit that the progressive system shows the exact same pixel; it’s just better because people couldn’t deal with the occasional player who’d gloat about their competitive rank- a minority.

• Halo has to evolve and the competitive community has the non-beneficial genes for survival. Complete and total crap; especially since 343 has the ability cater to the two categories by having two separate playlists; instead arguments against have been “Go back to Halo X”.