Competitive this, competitive that

Honestly, the game plays very fluidly, and I can’t really complain about balance or anything. It’s a great competitive title. But is it fun? No, not really. I keep finding myself coming back after long breaks because it’s Halo and I love Halo, but I get turned off after a game or two because really, every map is designed like an MLG foundry variant, all the weapons are too rock-paper-scissory, and the gameplay is really just too focused on being competitive rather than being enjoyable. Even the social skirmish isn’t fun because it still uses the same maps, weapons, and settings that Arena does. Vehicles aren’t fun because they’re so limited and you know you’re taking more of a risk being in one than you are just going on foot. I can do extremely well in games and still get sick of this quickly. Don’t even get me started on if the game is lopsided against me.

Bungie’s old Halo games had a lot of things that were weird, unique, and sometimes overpowered but really fun to use. And hell if they didn’t always have the best-designed maps, they sure were fun to play on. It’s just not very enjoyable to shoot people in this game, and honestly the new Spartan abilities minus the ground pound are more annoying to face rather than fun to use. When Halo 6 comes out, can you guys please focus on making it fun to play rather than hyper-balanced and competitive? Next time, less focus on what the ‘pros’ say and more focus on making things fun for everybody. I don’t mean make things completely random chance like Bloom or armor abilities, just make it fun to run and gun again.

i dont think the social playlists are too overly competitive. but i also burn out quick

What determines “social” then, and what makes it fun that it currently isn’t? Some people enjoy a balanced setting all around the game, which was a major flaw with Halo Reach and Halo 4. It’s only as competitive as people make it, because there are no public ranks involved.

Now if one is talking about variety in gametypes, that’s a different story

It’s almost like people have different opinions about what is and is not fun. Crazy.

yep, agree, i only play it for achiles, after that i dont know

> 2533274921115718;5:
> yep, agree, i only play it for achiles, after that i dont know

Well, you’re playing a game you don’t really enjoy for an armor that you can equip in said game you don’t enjoy? But still, it’s so easy to burn out on Halo 5. 2, 3, Reach, I could play all day and enjoy it all, where 5 just doesn’t have enough appeal to last more than a couple matches. Hell, even though objectively speaking, CoD MW2 and 3 were far less quality, I could play those all day long too because what they lacked in balance they made up for in making the gameplay very fun and exciting.

I love halo but halo 5 burns me out quick. I find myself going away from it. I do miss the old halos

I remember Bungie’s old attitude of designing the game. They did care about appearance and graphics and competition, but their primary objective was to make a game that you could sit in your living room with a bunch of friends and play for hours and have a blast. That’s the attitude that 343 needs.

I don’t have any problem playing it for hours. The same with Reach and Halo 4. To each their own.

While Halo 5 is a well-designed game, it kinda seems like you have to try TOO hard not just to do anything in a match, but just to have fun. I still struggle with the terrible aiming over a year after release, and I find myself getting frustrated because of how much effort I have to put into trying to aim unlike in past Halos, and in turn, I’m having to try hard just to enjoy the game, let alone do good in it. I’m a very competitive person so I don’t mind Halo having a competitive aspect to it (though Halo 5 seems overly competitive compared to past titles). I just wish 343 had made an aiming system that didn’t feel so hard to control. If the aiming felt like the past Halos, I’d have a lot more fun in this game

I still play Halo 5 often, but I sometimes wonder if I’m playing it because I actually like it, or if I’m playing it because it’s Halo and I have an undying love for Halo

> 2533274908070201;10:
> I still play Halo 5 often, but I sometimes wonder if I’m playing it because I actually like it, or if I’m playing it because it’s Halo and I have an undying love for Halo

You put my feelings into words right there.

I only play Halo 5 nowadays because its multiplayer is more reliable than MCC’s and because of Warzone Firefight. I like WZFF way better than the Arena stuff because at least I don’t have to worry about everyone being better than me and constantly proving it to my head, you know? Haha!

> 2533274833081329;3:
> What determines “social” then, and what makes it fun that it currently isn’t? Some people enjoy a balanced setting all around the game, which was a major flaw with Halo Reach and Halo 4. It’s only as competitive as people make it, because there are no public ranks involved.
>
> Now if one is talking about variety in gametypes, that’s a different story

I think the lack of playable playlists due to lack of players speaks volumes about what people think about a solely competitive Halo.

> 2535464587442867;12:
> I only play Halo 5 nowadays because its multiplayer is more reliable than MCC’s and because of Warzone Firefight. I like WZFF way better than the Arena stuff because at least I don’t have to worry about everyone being better than me and constantly proving it to my head, you know? Haha!

I’ll still load up Reach from time to time to enjoy some real firefight but overall I find myself playing Halo 5 not because I like it, but rather it’s all my friends play anymore, and they only play cause I play with them. Halo 5 has no incentive to play, it’s just sorta here.

The issue is that 343i has pro players helping them design the maps and gametypes (aside from the social playlists such as infection, fiesta, etc.)

I’m fine with Halo having a casual and competitive atmosphere, but having too much of one can lead to trouble.

Halo 4 was too casual, and Halo 5 is too competitive. If Halo 6 can achieve that balance, then we won’t have as much as an issue with the past two Halo entries multiplayer wise.

> 2535434457651384;14:
> > 2535464587442867;12:
> > I only play Halo 5 nowadays because its multiplayer is more reliable than MCC’s and because of Warzone Firefight. I like WZFF way better than the Arena stuff because at least I don’t have to worry about everyone being better than me and constantly proving it to my head, you know? Haha!
>
> I’ll still load up Reach from time to time to enjoy some real firefight but overall I find myself playing Halo 5 not because I like it, but rather it’s all my friends play anymore, and they only play cause I play with them. Halo 5 has no incentive to play, it’s just sorta here.

Love me some Reach, but it’s so tough to find matches in the modes I want nowadays. I still go on every once in a while to try my luck, though. I also mostly play Halo 5 because friends do. We all have MCC, but I haven’t had good experiences with its multiplayer and I don’t know if we all have Reach. So yeah, the only reasons I ever play Halo 5 anymore is because of friends and unlocking the customization options. I’ll never leave the game alone until I unlock them all.

> 2533274827215546;1:
> …and honestly the new Spartan abilities minus the ground pound are more annoying to face rather than fun to use.

Agreed. Well put.

It does seem more competitive, but just trying not to care about winning or losing, what your KDA reads, or your skill rating does help immensely.

> 2535464587442867;16:
> > 2535434457651384;14:
> > > 2535464587442867;12:
> > > I only play Halo 5 nowadays because its multiplayer is more reliable than MCC’s and because of Warzone Firefight. I like WZFF way better than the Arena stuff because at least I don’t have to worry about everyone being better than me and constantly proving it to my head, you know? Haha!
> >
> > I’ll still load up Reach from time to time to enjoy some real firefight but overall I find myself playing Halo 5 not because I like it, but rather it’s all my friends play anymore, and they only play cause I play with them. Halo 5 has no incentive to play, it’s just sorta here.
>
> Love me some Reach, but it’s so tough to find matches in the modes I want nowadays. I still go on every once in a while to try my luck, though. I also mostly play Halo 5 because friends do. We all have MCC, but I haven’t had good experiences with its multiplayer and I don’t know if we all have Reach. So yeah, the only reasons I ever play Halo 5 anymore is because of friends and unlocking the customization options. I’ll never leave the game alone until I unlock them all.

Honestly when we get H3A, should it have unlockables (it dam well better!) I should hope the anniversary version gets a substantial increase in unlocks.

> 2535434457651384;19:
> > 2535464587442867;16:
> > > 2535434457651384;14:
> > > > 2535464587442867;12:
> > > > I only play Halo 5 nowadays because its multiplayer is more reliable than MCC’s and because of Warzone Firefight. I like WZFF way better than the Arena stuff because at least I don’t have to worry about everyone being better than me and constantly proving it to my head, you know? Haha!
> > >
> > > I’ll still load up Reach from time to time to enjoy some real firefight but overall I find myself playing Halo 5 not because I like it, but rather it’s all my friends play anymore, and they only play cause I play with them. Halo 5 has no incentive to play, it’s just sorta here.
> >
> > Love me some Reach, but it’s so tough to find matches in the modes I want nowadays. I still go on every once in a while to try my luck, though. I also mostly play Halo 5 because friends do. We all have MCC, but I haven’t had good experiences with its multiplayer and I don’t know if we all have Reach. So yeah, the only reasons I ever play Halo 5 anymore is because of friends and unlocking the customization options. I’ll never leave the game alone until I unlock them all.
>
> Honestly when we get H3A, should it have unlockables (it dam well better!) I should hope the anniversary version gets a substantial increase in unlocks.

H3A is coming? Back in November, 343i said they weren’t working on it. Well, if it does come out, more unlockables would be awesome. More armors for both Spartans and Elites, the old patchwork armor customization system, a few visor colors (keep it simple like Reach did, though), and more sounds like an upgraded Halo 3 customization experience to me.