Competitive over plain old fun

I don’t know if anyone else has noticed or cares, but it seems as though H5 is being catered to the professional geeks out there. The maps are stale and unbalanced, the playlists are a drag and the weapons seem to be tuned by teenagers (since when should a pistol be as good as a BR?). 343 has been pretty great about the updates and content (I guess), but I feel as though the fun factor has been slipping away for the more casual player. As someone who has played Halo since the beginning I just want to see some of the old ambition, the creativity and the fun for all back at the top of the agenda. There is just something missing. A start would be better playlist with more variety.

> 2533274806822643;1:
> I don’t know if anyone else has noticed or cares, but it seems as though H5 is being catered to the professional geeks out there. The maps are stale and unbalanced, the playlists are a drag and the weapons seem to be tuned by teenagers (since when should a pistol be as good as a BR?). 343 has been pretty great about the updates and content (I guess), but I feel as though the fun factor has been slipping away for the more casual player. As someone who has played Halo since the beginning I just want to see some of the old ambition, the creativity and the fun for all back at the top of the agenda. There is just something missing. A start would be better playlist with more variety.

I’m kind of pissed that a lot of the Slayer maps are almost the exact same. Regret and the other Covenant ship map are the exact same. So are Torque and the snow map with few differences. It seems really repetitive.

I completely agree

They wanted to make comp the main focus out of the E-sports craze. Is this bad? Kinda, you see, a guy like me dosn’t injoy it much (no disrespect to those who do) therefore, having the main game focuse so much on this causes me to shy away from it. That’s why a while back the forums were flooded with “I’M QUITING HALO” and “343 RUINED THIS GAME” because people felt that what they were used to had changed drastically. Now it’s more quite around due to so many vocal people walking away.

maps are not un balanced and the pistol is not as goot at a BR

> 2533274806822643;1:
> The maps are stale and unbalanced, the playlists are a drag and the weapons seem to be tuned by teenagers (since when should a pistol be as good as a BR?). 343 .

> 2533274805919869;5:
> maps are not un balanced and the pistol is not as goot at a BR
>
>
> > 2533274806822643;1:
> > The maps are stale and unbalanced, the playlists are a drag and the weapons seem to be tuned by teenagers (since when should a pistol be as good as a BR?). 343 .

False.

The pistol kills almost as quick just a few milliseconds off the br.

I’ve always hated the new pistol and it’s the exact reason I never play 4v4 games. BTB for me or nothing.

> 2533274806822643;1:
> I don’t know if anyone else has noticed or cares, but it seems as though H5 is being catered to the professional geeks out there. The maps are stale and unbalanced, the playlists are a drag and the weapons seem to be tuned by teenagers (since when should a pistol be as good as a BR?). 343 has been pretty great about the updates and content (I guess), but I feel as though the fun factor has been slipping away for the more casual player. As someone who has played Halo since the beginning I just want to see some of the old ambition, the creativity and the fun for all back at the top of the agenda. There is just something missing. A start would be better playlist with more variety.

Maps being stale & unbalanced, and the weapon sandbox being a problem is like the exact opposite of what the competitive community wants.

Notice how not a single map made post launch is currently in HCS? Or how it’s taken basically 2 years to change the radar and automatic weapons?

The BR is far and wide better than the Pistol, not in terms of TTK, but in terms of ease of use (3 potential headshots per pull instead of one), superior range, and superior accuracy.

I agree, Halo 5 is not fun, but not just because the matchmaking in all aspects is stale, but rather the numeorus amount of glitches that just make players blood boil. I’m all for glitches in games, so long as they aren’t abused and are only used to make the game more enjoyable. But we’ve had these crap servers for what 2 years now? Can’t even have 1 custom night with friends without someone losing connection, then there’s the random weapon fires a blank glitch that gets you killed more than actualy enemy players or AI. I know Halo 5 is called “Halo” but it ain’t “Halo”.

Halo to me has always been about quality over quantity, good game design and long term projects that end up making the game better, not appealing to the masses, or “e-sports”, or even catering to one side of the community, Halo to me has always been about bringing gamers together as a community but all I see from 343 is causing more gamers to split off from this once great community because they feel cheated, robbed, disrespected by the developers because the devs can’t get their heads together. I’m not saying go all the way classic Halo, I’m saying make Classic Halo the core gameplay, and make modern Halo evolved off of that, as in 2 entirely seprate matchmaking and custom game options. But the problem with that is you can’t properly balance the weapons to one particular style without breaking them for the other. H4s weaponry would be god mode in H3 MP, and H3s weapons would be like pea shooters in H4s MP. The point is 343 can’t make up their minds because there’s no right path to take anymore. Classic is too outdated and Modern is too frustrating while I do see this as a problem, there’s no fix, aside from going back to the classic games if you so desire. Halo will continue it’s “343 madness” and eventually die off, while the older fans such as myslef drown in a sea of nostalgia and entertainment, and such is the fate of all good things.

I’ve come to realize that while 343’s Halo isn’t what “Halo” had represented, but rather what -Yoink!- wants it to be, and from my perspective it seems -Yoink!- wants Halo to be expendable at this point so I say go ahead, why not, and whatever, but Halo has become a tedious, monatnous, chore over the once fun and enjoable afternoon activity it once was. So let the 343 fans have their time in the lime light, sooner or later they too will know the scorn of -Yoink!- as us classic fans have. I don’t know what else to say so I’ll leave you with this: Halo 5 isn’t fun, it’s aggravating, tedious, broken, buggy, and honestly, flat out obnoxious.

> 2535440693312185;2:
> > 2533274806822643;1:
> > I don’t know if anyone else has noticed or cares, but it seems as though H5 is being catered to the professional geeks out there. The maps are stale and unbalanced, the playlists are a drag and the weapons seem to be tuned by teenagers (since when should a pistol be as good as a BR?). 343 has been pretty great about the updates and content (I guess), but I feel as though the fun factor has been slipping away for the more casual player. As someone who has played Halo since the beginning I just want to see some of the old ambition, the creativity and the fun for all back at the top of the agenda. There is just something missing. A start would be better playlist with more variety.
>
> I’m kind of pissed that a lot of the Slayer maps are almost the exact same. Regret and the other Covenant ship map are the exact same. So are Torque and the snow map with few differences. It seems really repetitive.

It’s called a remake for a reason.

How can you say something is “unbalanced” and then still say it caters to the professionals? :thinking:

This is is what I mean when I bring this up, no one actually looks into what a pro player or even the competitive player wants out of the game, cause H5 isn’t it :joy:

> 2533274975021613;6:
> > 2533274805919869;5:
> > maps are not un balanced and the pistol is not as goot at a BR
> >
> >
> > > 2533274806822643;1:
> > > The maps are stale and unbalanced, the playlists are a drag and the weapons seem to be tuned by teenagers (since when should a pistol be as good as a BR?). 343 .
>
> False.
>
> The pistol kills almost as quick just a few milliseconds off the br.
>
> I’ve always hated the new pistol and it’s the exact reason I never play 4v4 games. BTB for me or nothing.

No the pistol is good but the br out performs it almost every time. If you put two people with the same skill one br and one magnum the br almost always wins

> 2533274975021613;6:
> > 2533274805919869;5:
> > maps are not un balanced and the pistol is not as goot at a BR
> >
> >
> > > 2533274806822643;1:
> > > The maps are stale and unbalanced, the playlists are a drag and the weapons seem to be tuned by teenagers (since when should a pistol be as good as a BR?). 343 .
>
> False.
>
> The pistol kills almost as quick just a few milliseconds off the br.
>
> I’ve always hated the new pistol and it’s the exact reason I never play 4v4 games. BTB for me or nothing.

But, the BR is easier to use due to the Burst-fire mechanism.

You complain that maps are stale and unbalanced, but not the only (mostly) way to make a map unbalanced is by making it symmetrical. Symmetrical, meaning stale. There’s a lot of those on Halo 5. Halo 5 is a 2year old game… I think what you’re asking for are new maps and new rotations, that’s all…

I don’t really think that staleness is a comment on Halo 5 so much as it’s a comment on gamers. Halo 3, the “gold standard” for many Halo vets, may have had insane player retention and I may have been one of those players, but I’m here to tell you that game spent its last year stale as hell. It just stands to reason. Nothing stays fresh for three years.

That said, yes, this game favors the competitive player over the casual player. I really thought Halo’s first-ever custom game browser would be the great leveler - the thing that made Halo all things to all people again. But unfortunately it is a perfect reflection of the game’s player base: extremes. You have match after match of “clan recruitment,” “octagon,” “hcs,” “snipers,” “1v1,” or some other hyper-competitive insanity… or you have match after match of infection, a fiesta variant, or some other nonsensical mini-game. This is the sad state of affairs that makes me a lot more forgiving of 343. They gave us the tools and we’ve squandered them on what are to me all of the worst aspects of Halo gameplay.

> 2533274873843883;14:
> I don’t really think that staleness is a comment on Halo 5 so much as it’s a comment on gamers. Halo 3, the “gold standard” for many Halo vets, may have had insane player retention and I may have been one of those players, but I’m here to tell you that game spent its last year stale as hell. It just stands to reason. Nothing stays fresh for three years.
>
> That said, yes, this game favors the competitive player over the casual player. I really thought Halo’s first-ever custom game browser would be the great leveler - the thing that made Halo all things to all people again. But unfortunately it is a perfect reflection of the game’s player base: extremes. You have match after match of “clan recruitment,” “octagon,” “hcs,” “snipers,” “1v1,” or some other hyper-competitive insanity… or you have match after match of infection, a fiesta variant, or some other nonsensical mini-game. This is the sad state of affairs that makes me a lot more forgiving of 343. They gave us the tools and we’ve squandered them on what are to me all of the worst aspects of Halo gameplay.

I dont think I’ve seen a single standard Slayer match since it started up…
We do have cool stuff like Night of the Mantis though.

i don’t get why people are complaining i mean everything 343 try’s to do their is going to be haters but the online is not bad however my problem is that i am extremely adaptable to controls and tactics that i could not play a game for a year come back to it suck for one or two matches then be back up to my previous skill level. however my skill level makes it hard for me to play in casual games because i am (evidently due to the amount of hate mail after a game) really annoying… I think on my the move around the map take a kill move on to a new position get kills as i move my strategy gets me a lot of kills fewer deaths but that is how my mind works i can’t help it. my dilemma? i want to pay casually and not with those players in competitive taking their MLG steroids i even have a friend who is part of a MLG team and i can hold my own against him so i can play casual get called a well… or play competitive and not find it fun because of the people who complain during a losing match or flat out rage quit when losing i play till the match ends no matter how badly i lose.

To many things didn’t go right in this experiment (gamble). Least of which was a full game at launch. MCC seems to be written off and although 343i did upgrade H5 with more playlists and such, they already lost a good portion of the base. Hope for H6 to make things right.

> 2533274975021613;6:
> > 2533274805919869;5:
> > maps are not un balanced and the pistol is not as goot at a BR
> >
> >
> > > 2533274806822643;1:
> > > The maps are stale and unbalanced, the playlists are a drag and the weapons seem to be tuned by teenagers (since when should a pistol be as good as a BR?). 343 .
>
> False.
>
> The pistol kills almost as quick just a few milliseconds off the br.
>
> I’ve always hated the new pistol and it’s the exact reason I never play 4v4 games. BTB for me or nothing.

False. The BR has WAY longer range. Therefore it is better than the pistol/magnum.

> 2533274920070188;18:
> > 2533274975021613;6:
> > > 2533274805919869;5:
> > > maps are not un balanced and the pistol is not as goot at a BR
> > >
> > >
> > > > 2533274806822643;1:
> > > > The maps are stale and unbalanced, the playlists are a drag and the weapons seem to be tuned by teenagers (since when should a pistol be as good as a BR?). 343 .
> >
> > False.
> >
> > The pistol kills almost as quick just a few milliseconds off the br.
> >
> > I’ve always hated the new pistol and it’s the exact reason I never play 4v4 games. BTB for me or nothing.
>
> False. The BR has WAY longer range. Therefore it is better than the pistol/magnum.

Actually you’re logic is false, I’ve out long-ranged my friends in BR duels with pistols a multitude of times, I’m not saying I’m good, I’m just saying I know the weapon limitations, especially with Halo 5’s CQC map designs.

> 2535465002418082;19:
> > 2533274920070188;18:
> > > 2533274975021613;6:
> > > > 2533274805919869;5:
> > > > maps are not un balanced and the pistol is not as goot at a BR
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > > 2533274806822643;1:
> > > > > The maps are stale and unbalanced, the playlists are a drag and the weapons seem to be tuned by teenagers (since when should a pistol be as good as a BR?). 343 .
> > >
> > > False.
> > >
> > > The pistol kills almost as quick just a few milliseconds off the br.
> > >
> > > I’ve always hated the new pistol and it’s the exact reason I never play 4v4 games. BTB for me or nothing.
> >
> > False. The BR has WAY longer range. Therefore it is better than the pistol/magnum.
>
> Actually you’re logic is false, I’ve out long-ranged my friends in BR duels with pistols a multitude of times, I’m not saying I’m good, I’m just saying I know the weapon limitations, especially with Halo 5’s CQC map designs.

n=1

And besides that, I don’t get your logic. Just because you know how to outgun your friends with a magnum while they have a BR doesn’t make the magnum better than the BR or just as good.

If you give an onyx/champion player an AR and a bronze player a rocket launcher, I know the onyx/champion player finds a way to outgun the bronze player with only an AR. Does that make the AR just as good or better than the rocket launcher? I don’t think so.