Competitive Gaming and Halo Reach

It has come to my realization lately that the main reason people hate this game is because “It doesn’t take skill” or “It’s noob friendly” I for one disagree with this and have come to the conclusion that competitive gaming has created a mindset among gamers that everything needs to be about “skill”.

I play Halo, not because I’m competitive, but because I’ve always found it fun. I’ve always played video games for fun even if that fun meant me dying countless times in my pursuit to beat the game. If people would see Halo Reach for what it is"a video game" then they would be able to respect it as a game and as fun. I’m seeing a trend in recent video games that are starting to cater to the competitive crowd or to the youtube kiddies who believe that I want to watch their crappy halo/cod games live or over the internet. If more games would introduce good gameplay and fun mechanics rather than explosive storylines and heavy focus on multiplayer then players wouldn’t complain as much about these games.

To prove my point. Look at many nintendo games. Super Mario World, Super Metroid, LoZ: Ocarina of Time, Super Smash Bros. These games have stood the test of time and hardly anyone complains about them because they are the epitome of what a game is supposed to be and that is fun and that is why they will be played long after Halo is dead and gone.

The only thing I hate about Reach (and the only reason I want it to be competitive) is because I want to be able to enjoy myself playing this game.
With armor abilities (my main gripe with Reach) the game is little fun for me. And I know I am not the only one who thinks this.

I think I agree, hyper competitiveness should be avoided. However the basic concepts of competitive play that promote strong beliefs in fairness, balance are good ideas that should be valued. Dare I say even HIGHLY valued.

Where I think we disagree is on ideas of fun. I think Natsume had a beautiful slogan “Serious Fun” whenever I played a harvest moon game, I knew I’d probably never EVER complete any of the Harvest Moon games. They were long games that required plenty of thinking and planing. And for most of them you only competed with yourself. Serious fun type games are better, IMO, at hooking a player long term. If you want someone to play a game often and for a long period of time… There needs to be something to improve ( skills, status etc)

I loved games like smash bros… But I played it maybe every other week. It gets old fast, once you have the basics, its done and over. You never find yourself saying “can’t wait to get home in play, got to get better” when halo gets that sweet spot of “welcoming to new players” but making it obvious they can learn a thing or two… Then bam, you hooked them into a “gotta practice” mode. Balance is key.

I don’t think I’ve ever practice to become better at Reach, I just played the game. I’m not the best, but I’m not the worst by any means. If I go 55- 3 and win a game then great, if my entire team quits and I get my butt handed to me then thats fine as well. Don’t get me wrong, I play to win, but I could care less about knowing the timing on item respawns or stuff like that.

People are still upset about AA’s? There’re more playlists than just Team Slayer. Try MLG, or make some competitive customs…Then still lose, and realise you’re just using AA’s as an excuse for your own bk’ness…

> I don’t think I’ve ever practice to become better at Reach, I just played the game. I’m not the best, but I’m not the worst by any means. If I go 55- 3 and win a game then great, if my entire team quits and I get my butt handed to me then thats fine as well. Don’t get me wrong, I play to win, but I could care less about knowing the timing on item respawns or stuff like that.

I don’t know, some of my favorite matches where when my teammates quit. If the quitter was really unskilled and quite early in the match… Then I know me and my remaining teammates likely out skill our enemies. Really feels good winning those 2v4 matches. Almost won a 1v4 but my teammates didnt quit fast enough. They gave too many fee kills to the enemy team, but even though it was a loss… It was epically fun/stressful. Practice makes “bad luck” into some of the funniest matches.