Competitive/ Casual labels must go

These labels that people seem to put on people just because how they play the game need to go. At the end of the day we are all fans of the same game.

The labels are not mutually exclusive either. I for one love competitive halo. Halo 3 for me was like a sport. I practiced everyday, I had a “team” of players that practiced with me. I ran an insane amount of custom games on multiple accounts. But that doesnt mean that I dont enjoy a fun game once in a while.

Yesterday I played team regicide all day and had a blast. Sure, its not the most competitive thing in the world but its a lot of fun.

Which brings me to my point. Even if you are not very good, that doesnt mean that you should not wish for competitive halo to thrive. The same way that pros of the game should not wish the social aspect of halo to die.

As it stands now we have a melting pot of both which leads to both communities being shafted. As a competitive game, halo 4 is lacking a lot. Ranks need to return and separate playlists need to be made. Slayer Pro was something that the MLG crowd did not even want. They wanted vanilla competitive settings. Another thing, why in the world is swat and snipers rotational? Its ridiculous.

As far as social goes, it is impossible to get a casual game started. Most of the games that you play will be try hard games in all the major playlists. The fact that griffball is not available yet is a shame to social halo, especially because they utilized it so heavily in their advertising campaign. The lack of flood customization options is terrible.

As a community we need to come together and realize that we are all the same. Some like to play the game a certain way and there is a way to satisfy all of us. Maybe if competitive halo was thriving that social player might want to see what its all about. Maybe if we had social settings players like me would join custom zombie matches, or play griffball. So stop the labels and the elitism. Come together as a community and work for whats best for all players.

Sure we might all play the same game, but some play it differently than others.

OP, you have a wonderful dream, but it’s not going to become reality.

If we can’t stop labeling people in real life, what are the chances we could do so in a video game?

It’s not the labels that need to go. What needs to go is the belief that just because someone spends a lot of time perfecting their abilities, their opinion should somehow matter more than someone with less gaming time on their hands.

Back in Halo 2 days, I was an addict. I played all the time. We had a sizeable gaming community, thorough strategies, practice time, mandatory play sessions, etc.

Now, I don’t have time for that anymore. I still play to win, but I genuinely don’t care as much anymore about winning or losing. I play for fun now, but that doesn’t mean that my opinion on the game should matter less than anyone else.

> It’s not the labels that need to go. What needs to go is the belief that just because someone spends a lot of time perfecting their abilities, their opinion should somehow matter more than someone with less gaming time on their hands.

Well it is typically because competitive players spend more time learning the mechanics, and learning the advanced strategies, while casual players learn just the basics.

A lot of times when a casual says something, it sounds good at face value; however, once you apply the advanced knowledge which players like myself have, it really winds up being a bad tactic.

It winds up irking me too, because if I posted the several reasons why a casual is wrong, it would demolish them completely, yet any advantageous knowledge loses its effect once share with the bulk of the community, so I don’t bother going into detail with them.

It gives people like me better results to simply say “You’re wrong”, rather than win a single argument by disclosing sensitive information, which can never be undisclosed.

Hell last night I discovered a gamebreaking technique which I haven’t found anywhere else. Either I’m the first person to realize it, or everybody else is doing the smart thing and not discussing it with other people.