Compass?

I haven’t seen this discussed here yet.

Does anyone want the compass from Halo: ODST and Halo: Reach back? I found it extremely helpful. In reach, my play style was usually to scout and snipe. I used the compass SO much in pointing out hostile targets. If I’d see a wraith, I’d tell my team, “OH hey, wraith on north side” Or “watch out for the guass hog to the south”. It made everything so easy. Now I have to say, “wraith by the big…er…mediumish thing near the cave sy…oh he killed y’all already? Ok.”

I’m hoping the compass makes a return in 5. What’s y’alls opinions?

I was a little disappointed it didn’t return in H4. Apparently there was enough room on the HUD to fit an inclinometer (those notches on the sides that move as you look up or down), but not a compass…
Seriously, what the heck am I even supposed to use an inclinometer for? I can tell if I’m looking up or down!

It was definitely a useful feature in Reach and ODST - mainly because the campaign levels were big enough to have multiple routes. H4 kind of shoved you down a corridor.

There is an expectation that H5 will have/go back to having large campaign levels - maybe not totally open world, but open enough to have multiple paths suited to different playstyles. Maps this big require the player to be able to navigate without getting hopelessly lost.

And if a squad of marines say “We’ve got a Scorpion pinned down just South of here!” - you’ll wish you had a compass to find it. Your inclinometer will only get you so far.

The HUD needs to be less aesthetic and more functional. That’s my preference at least, a balance between the two would be best.

I still don’t get why they called the secondary weapon HUD icon “clutter” and removed it. The primary weapon HUD icon is absolutely redundant but it’s still there…

I miss seeing my marine’s health bar when they were in my vehicle. :frowning:

> The HUD needs to be less aesthetic and more functional. That’s my preference at least, a balance between the two would be best.
>
> I still don’t get why they called the secondary weapon HUD icon “clutter” and removed it. The primary weapon HUD icon is absolutely redundant but it’s still there…
>
> I miss seeing my marine’s health bar when they were in my vehicle. :frowning:

Yeah it just feels like another unnecessary change… Like changing how the scoring shows up. I’d much rather see 37 kills than 370 points…

I agree with these responses. Some things introduced are just useless.

> The HUD needs to be less aesthetic and more functional. That’s my preference at least, a balance between the two would be best.
>
> I still don’t get why they called the secondary weapon HUD icon “clutter” and removed it. The primary weapon HUD icon is absolutely redundant but it’s still there…
>
> I miss seeing my marine’s health bar when they were in my vehicle. :frowning:

So, would something like this be better?
Imgur

Just used one of the early campaign screens, and drew on that.
Very lazy 20min concept bash. Compass is exceptionally so.

> > The HUD needs to be less aesthetic and more functional. That’s my preference at least, a balance between the two would be best.
> >
> > I still don’t get why they called the secondary weapon HUD icon “clutter” and removed it. The primary weapon HUD icon is absolutely redundant but it’s still there…
> >
> > I miss seeing my marine’s health bar when they were in my vehicle. :frowning:
>
> So, would something like this be better?
> http://imgur.com/iuOqkzX
>
> Just used one of the early campaign screens, and drew on that.
> Very lazy 20min concept bash. Compass is exceptionally so.

I’d prefer the Health Bars be at the top right, but that looks great

I never used it. Heck, I never even realized there was a compass until one of my friends started using it for callouts.

> > The HUD needs to be less aesthetic and more functional. That’s my preference at least, a balance between the two would be best.
> >
> > I still don’t get why they called the secondary weapon HUD icon “clutter” and removed it. The primary weapon HUD icon is absolutely redundant but it’s still there…
> >
> > I miss seeing my marine’s health bar when they were in my vehicle. :frowning:
>
>

That’s friggin awesome. How did they forget to implement something like this?

It should come back. When it came to armour and hud design, Reach had it the best.

> > > I miss seeing my marine’s health bar when they were in my vehicle. :frowning:
> >
> > So, would something like this be better?
> > http://imgur.com/iuOqkzX
> >
> > Just used one of the early campaign screens, and drew on that.
> > Very lazy 20min concept bash. Compass is exceptionally so.
>
> That’s friggin awesome. How did they forget to implement something like this?

Thanks!
It only ever existed in CE, and was never carried forward into the next games. Same with the vehicle health meter (at least, in campaign).
Definitely something I always kept an eye on during battles.

> I’d prefer the Health Bars be at the top right, but that looks great

More like this?
Imgur

One of the problems I had with it this way in CE, was I couldn’t tell exactly which marine was about to die/taking hits. That was part of the design reasoning behind the other iteration, where the health bars are kind of floating in 3d above each of the marines.

> > > > I miss seeing my marine’s health bar when they were in my vehicle. :frowning:
> > >
> > > So, would something like this be better?
> > > http://imgur.com/iuOqkzX
> > >
> > > Just used one of the early campaign screens, and drew on that.
> > > Very lazy 20min concept bash. Compass is exceptionally so.
> >
> > That’s friggin awesome. How did they forget to implement something like this?
>
> Thanks!
> It only ever existed in CE, and was never carried forward into the next games. Same with the vehicle health meter (at least, in campaign).
> Definitely something I always kept an eye on during battles.
>
>
>
> > I’d prefer the Health Bars be at the top right, but that looks great
>
> More like this?
> http://imgur.com/4NqZ6Sc
>
> One of the problems I had with it this way in CE, was I couldn’t tell exactly which marine was about to die/taking hits. That was part of the design reasoning behind the other iteration, where the health bars are kind of floating in 3d above each of the marines.

You got some skills mate :slight_smile:

Thank you Missing Spartan for telling me what an inclinometer is. I’ve always wondered what they were called (even though I knew what they did).

On to the topic at hand…

I used the compass all the time from a gameplay POV its a brilliant idea for communication, as others have said for calling out targets etc.

Even from a canon perspective (which 343i is so keen on tying canon into why things are the way they are) it makes even more sense.

343 compass on HUD GO GO GO!!

bring it back, this would have helped a lot in multiplayer matches on haven.

> >
> >
>
>

Yeah it’d be way immersive if the health bar was above the marine, but sorta floating, not static.