Community is willing to Invest in DLC for Halo Wars or A Halo Wars 2

http://www.bungie.net/forums/topics.aspx?forumID=10

http://halo.xbox.com/Forums/yaf_postst58462_KickStart-Funding-for-Halo-Wars-DLC--HW2.aspx

Two polls on 2 different sites show nearly 50% or more of the community is willing to invest in Halo Wars DLC or a Halo Wars 2.

Kickstart is an untapped resource for post game launch support to determine how much people are willing to spend towards a DLC.

Please 343 - let us put up the funds and get a map editor or some maps created for Halo Wars. We still play it - but it would be nice if a community funded project could be created for those of us (5-8k) who still play regularly.

If the community paid for it - it wouldn’t hurt your bottom line. What do you have to lose but show off that 343 is willing to support even a 3 year old Halo game that is the best in class out of ALL RTS games on the market for console.

Please 343 - please support us.

Cheers,
XxX Post XxX

Be a Pal 343, Take a Hint from Vlave’s amazing customer service

It would be great to see new maps or even a new game. If it were funded by fans, that would be a new Dawn for Halo. Fan created Content can and will be amazing at times. Just look at TF2’s menagiery of hats and weapons, the majority are now community made.

> Be a Pal 343, Take a Hint from Vlave’s amazing customer service
>
> It would be great to see new maps or even a new game. If it were funded by fans, that would be a new Dawn for Halo. Fan created Content can and will be amazing at times. Just look at TF2’s menagiery of hats and weapons, the majority are now community made.

I don’t get why this was moved? It pertains to community creations - seeing as I’m trying to get the community to stand up and create funding for a DLC?

I get the misconception and why you would think to move this - but it does pertain to community creations?

I would appreciate it if this was moved back to community content…

> I don’t get why this was moved? It pertains to community creations - seeing as I’m trying to get the community to stand up and create funding for a DLC?
>
> I get the misconception and why you would think to move this - but it does pertain to community creations?
>
> I would appreciate it if this was moved back to community content…

Sadly it really doesn’t. Consumers can’t really invest to get DLC for something. That’s clearly up to either the creator/developer/publisher.

Basically, it’s not really something the community can create something for. Community Creations is meant for fanart, fan-fiction, forge-creations: “Stuff created by the community”.

The consumer has no involvement aside from paying for the final product.

Even so, this is just asking/hoping for Halo Wars DLC. Nothing “creative” going on. This is clearly in the right forum.

> > I don’t get why this was moved? It pertains to community creations - seeing as I’m trying to get the community to stand up and create funding for a DLC?
> >
> > I get the misconception and why you would think to move this - but it does pertain to community creations?
> >
> > I would appreciate it if this was moved back to community content…
>
> Sadly it really doesn’t. Consumers can’t really invest to get DLC for something. That’s clearly up to either the creator/developer/publisher.
>
> Basically, it’s not really something the community can create something for. Community Creations is meant for fanart, fan-fiction, forge-creations: “Stuff created by the community”.
>
> The consumer has no involvement aside from paying for the final product.
>
> Even so, this is just asking/hoping for Halo Wars DLC. Nothing “creative” going on. This is clearly in the right forum.

I disagree.

The community coming up with an idea and moving forward with it is technically community content. It may not be something tactile or visual - but the idea and creation is one of the community.

A person is not a consumer until they purchase something - investing money for a developer/publisher to create content is technically community content in pre-production.

Not-full fledged created content just yet - but once all is said and done - it would be community content as it started with us to get the ball rolling.

Also,

Since the funding would help open up an option (map editor is possible) to create user generated content.

This makes it even more of a reason for it to be placed in that forum.

> I disagree.
>
> The community coming up with an idea and moving forward with it is technically community content. It may not be something tactile or visual - but the idea and creation is one of the community.
>
> A person is not a consumer until they purchase something - investing money for a developer/publisher to create content is technically community content in pre-production.
>
> <mark>Not-full fledged created content just yet</mark> - but once all is said and done - it would be community content as it started with us to get the ball rolling.

You may disagree but that still doesn’t negate the fact.

<mark>You have no content at the moment.(nor will you - as this is a developmental process, not independent).</mark>

This is like me saying I want to make a Halo Coloring Book. I have the idea all set up but I have no prototype, no visual, no concept, etc.

You have an IDEA. Not a CREATION. Hence why this stays in it’s proper section of Halo Wars Discussion.

> Since the funding would help open up an option (map editor is possible) to create user generated content.
>
> This makes it even more of a reason for it to be placed in that forum.

Either way, and again what you’re not understanding is that unless you’re employed by 343i or Microsoft, you don’t get any say on DLC and it’s content. That’s their job and that’s why they’re funded/paid.

Sorry and while I understand you’re issue, it’s just not going to happen the way you want. This is a Halo Wars Idea/Suggestion. It’s not a Community Creation.

> > I disagree.
> >
> > The community coming up with an idea and moving forward with it is technically community content. It may not be something tactile or visual - but the idea and creation is one of the community.
> >
> > A person is not a consumer until they purchase something - investing money for a developer/publisher to create content is technically community content in pre-production.
> >
> > <mark>Not-full fledged created content just yet</mark> - but once all is said and done - it would be community content as it started with us to get the ball rolling.
>
> You may disagree but that still doesn’t negate the fact.
>
> <mark>You have no content at the moment.(nor will you - as this is a developmental process, not independent).</mark>
>
> This is like me saying I want to make a Halo Coloring Book. I have the idea all set up but I have no prototype, no visual, no concept, etc.
>
> You have an IDEA. Not a CREATION. Hence why this stays in it’s proper section of Halo Wars Discussion.
>
>
>
> > Since the funding would help open up an option (map editor is possible) to create user generated content.
> >
> > This makes it even more of a reason for it to be placed in that forum.
>
> Either way, and again what you’re not understanding is that unless you’re employed by 343i or Microsoft, you don’t get any say on DLC and it’s content. That’s their job and that’s why they’re funded/paid.
>
> Sorry and while I understand you’re issue, it’s just not going to happen the way you want. This is a Halo Wars Idea/Suggestion. It’s not a Community Creation.

Creating content is not that hard to do. I actually have several map ideas and a lot of concepts with pen and paper.

Saying that I never will have content is you having no faith in 343 to do something. Considering that people all across the game industry are entertaining this idea - content is flying around through multiple development studios to entertain an idea such as this.

<mark>http://forums.obsidian.net/blog/1/entry-158-if-obsidian-kickstarter/</mark>
<mark>http://business.financialpost.com/2012/02/15/double-fines-kickstarter-success-shows-sometimes-games-are-too-cheap/</mark>
<mark>http://www.seattlepi.com/business/press-releases/article/SiXiTS-Studios-and-Doug-Chiang-Studio-Announce-3321284.php</mark>
<mark>http://www.ps3center.net/news/5276/jaffe-considering-kickstarter-funding/</mark>

It is actually quite a buzz right now…

So - however you believe that it doesn’t fall under that category, I believe you are wrong. Because I don’t post a link to content doesn’t mean it doesn’t belong. It is a community funded idea with a significant possibility of panning out if 343 and MS want to be open minded in a unique investment opportunity where fans put up the money.

Kickstarter represents a new way of fans being able to help create new content. So - to summarize. The entire idea of it is fan created, the entire theory behind it has the backing of multiple studios in the industry already, and the content that could come of it (a map editor) would help us CREATE MORE COMMUNITY CONTENT.

Therefore - it is relevant to community content. It may not display it, but the inevitable story arc of this posting/idea ends up with community content. I’m sorry you need instant gratification for your own personal view of a post to fulfill the criteria for user created content. However, it is relevant to the forum and I would like my posting to be moved back to the appropriate forum. Or duplicated as it pertains to both this and the community content forum.

> Creating content is not that hard to do. I actually have several map ideas and a lot of concepts with pen and paper.
>
> Saying that I never will have content is you having no faith in 343 to do something. Considering that people all across the game industry are entertaining this idea - content is flying around through multiple development studios to entertain an idea such as this.
>
> <mark>http://forums.obsidian.net/blog/1/entry-158-if-obsidian-kickstarter/</mark>
> <mark>http://business.financialpost.com/2012/02/15/double-fines-kickstarter-success-shows-sometimes-games-are-too-cheap/</mark>
> <mark>http://www.seattlepi.com/business/press-releases/article/SiXiTS-Studios-and-Doug-Chiang-Studio-Announce-3321284.php</mark>
> <mark>http://www.ps3center.net/news/5276/jaffe-considering-kickstarter-funding/</mark>
>
> It is actually quite a buzz right now…
>
> So - however you believe that it doesn’t fall under that category, I believe you are wrong. Because I don’t post a link to content doesn’t mean it doesn’t belong. It is a community funded idea with a significant possibility of panning out if 343 and MS want to be open minded in a unique investment opportunity where fans put up the money.
>
> Kickstarter represents a new way of fans being able to help create new content. So - to summarize. The entire idea of it is fan created, the entire theory behind it has the backing of multiple studios in the industry already, and the content that could come of it (a map editor) would help us CREATE MORE COMMUNITY CONTENT.
>
> Therefore - it is relevant to community content. It may not display it, but the inevitable story arc of this posting/idea ends up with community content. I’m sorry you need instant gratification for your own personal view of a post to fulfill the criteria for user created content. <mark>However, it is relevant to the forum and I would like my posting to be moved back to the appropriate forum.</mark> Or duplicated as it pertains to both this and the community content forum.

See, but you WON’T have the content. You’ll just have the idea and then IF it were to come to fruition, the company gets pretty much all the tools, creative design and everything to build it. Giving them most of the credit. That has nothing to do with my faith in 343i.

I don’t see where you’re missing the whole simple point of This Isn’t Up To The Community.

It’s still nothing more than an idea or notion. You have no physical property to display or show the CREATIVITY of it. Anybody can say this or that. Go look at the section for yourself. I need no “personal gratification” out of any of this. Halo Wars is most likely not going to see anything anyway b/c nobody directly picked up the property after Ensemble Studios closed. It’s still a MS property and 343 kept track of the stats but as far as it’s known, Halo Wars is pretty stale in the water. You have an IDEA. That justifies discussion to any extent. You still have nothing to show for it. That’s not me knocking on your notion or whatnot, I’m just telling you how it is.

<mark>Look, this isn’t your website nor is it mine. I’m pretty sure the Admins are sure what goes where. A bunch of us around here take notice of it as well.</mark>
<mark>I’m very sorry that you think you know better than the administrators and moderators of Waypoint but they moved it for a reason. It didn’t belong.</mark>

> > Creating content is not that hard to do. I actually have several map ideas and a lot of concepts with pen and paper.
> >
> > Saying that I never will have content is you having no faith in 343 to do something. Considering that people all across the game industry are entertaining this idea - content is flying around through multiple development studios to entertain an idea such as this.
> >
> > <mark>http://forums.obsidian.net/blog/1/entry-158-if-obsidian-kickstarter/</mark>
> > <mark>http://business.financialpost.com/2012/02/15/double-fines-kickstarter-success-shows-sometimes-games-are-too-cheap/</mark>
> > <mark>http://www.seattlepi.com/business/press-releases/article/SiXiTS-Studios-and-Doug-Chiang-Studio-Announce-3321284.php</mark>
> > <mark>http://www.ps3center.net/news/5276/jaffe-considering-kickstarter-funding/</mark>
> >
> > It is actually quite a buzz right now…
> >
> > So - however you believe that it doesn’t fall under that category, I believe you are wrong. Because I don’t post a link to content doesn’t mean it doesn’t belong. It is a community funded idea with a significant possibility of panning out if 343 and MS want to be open minded in a unique investment opportunity where fans put up the money.
> >
> > Kickstarter represents a new way of fans being able to help create new content. So - to summarize. The entire idea of it is fan created, the entire theory behind it has the backing of multiple studios in the industry already, and the content that could come of it (a map editor) would help us CREATE MORE COMMUNITY CONTENT.
> >
> > Therefore - it is relevant to community content. It may not display it, but the inevitable story arc of this posting/idea ends up with community content. I’m sorry you need instant gratification for your own personal view of a post to fulfill the criteria for user created content. <mark>However, it is relevant to the forum and I would like my posting to be moved back to the appropriate forum.</mark> Or duplicated as it pertains to both this and the community content forum.
>
> See, but you WON’T have the content. You’ll just have the idea and then IF it were to come to fruition, the company gets pretty much all the tools, creative design and everything to build it. Giving them most of the credit. That has nothing to do with my faith in 343i.
>
> I don’t see where you’re missing the whole simple point of This Isn’t Up To The Community.
>
> It’s still nothing more than an idea or notion. You have no physical property to display or show the CREATIVITY of it. Anybody can say this or that. Go look at the section for yourself. I need no “personal gratification” out of any of this. Halo Wars is most likely not going to see anything anyway b/c nobody directly picked up the property after Ensemble Studios closed. It’s still a MS property and 343 kept track of the stats but as far as it’s known, Halo Wars is pretty stale in the water. You have an IDEA. That justifies discussion to any extent. You still have nothing to show for it. That’s not me knocking on your notion or whatnot, I’m just telling you how it is.
>
>
> <mark>Look, this isn’t your website nor is it mine. I’m pretty sure the Admins are sure what goes where. A bunch of us around here take notice of it as well.</mark>
> <mark>I’m very sorry that you think you know better than the administrators and moderators of Waypoint but they moved it for a reason. It didn’t belong.</mark>

This discussion belongs in the community content to gain traction so the community can have the creative tools necessary to create community content. I’m sorry you feel the way you do. However - I believe you are wrong and you believe that I am wrong.

All in all - I’m okay with ending this pointless debate with you and that neither of us are wrong or right. You have your view and I have mine. You have your interpretation while I have mine.

Cheers,
XxX Post XxX

> This discussion belongs in the community content to gain traction so the community can have the creative tools necessary to create community content. I’m sorry you feel the way you do. <mark>However - I believe you are wrong and you believe that I am wrong.</mark>
> <mark>All in all - I’m okay with ending this pointless debate with you and that neither of us are wrong or right.</mark> You have your view and I have mine. You have your interpretation while I have mine.
>
> Cheers,
> XxX Post XxX

Once again - You do not have a creation. That section is for things the community HAS created. Hence why it’s called Community Creations. Not Things The Community CAN Create.

What do you have? Certainly not common sense. You just keep telling me that I’m wrong b/c you think so.

You just criticized yourself to a hilarious oblivious degree. “Nobody’s right or wrong…but I believe you’re wrong.” - Seriously?

That’s fine, kiddo. Your thread stays in it’s rightful place - Discussion b/c that’s all it is at this point.

I know it. The admins know it and I’m sure the community will agree.

> > This discussion belongs in the community content to gain traction so the community can have the creative tools necessary to create community content. I’m sorry you feel the way you do. <mark>However - I believe you are wrong and you believe that I am wrong.</mark>
> > <mark>All in all - I’m okay with ending this pointless debate with you and that neither of us are wrong or right.</mark> You have your view and I have mine. You have your interpretation while I have mine.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > XxX Post XxX
>
> Once again - You do not have a creation. That section is for things the community HAS created. Hence why it’s called Community Creations. Not Things The Community CAN Create.
>
> What do you have? Certainly not common sense. You just keep telling me that I’m wrong b/c you think so.
>
> You just criticized yourself to a hilarious oblivious degree. “Nobody’s right or wrong…but I believe you’re wrong.” - Seriously?
>
> That’s fine, kiddo. Your thread stays in it’s rightful place - Discussion b/c that’s all it is at this point.
>
> I know it. The admins know it and I’m sure the community will agree.

High road sir - that is what I took with my opinion.

Unfortunately, 343 is not an independent studio, so things like this aren’t really in the realm of possibility for them. These kickstarter things are in lieu of publishers, which is why studios like Double Fine and Obsidian are able to take advantage of the unique opportunity kickstarter provides. In these two situations, the publisher is being replaced partially by the users, and partially by the studios. Essentially, the middle step of game development is cut out.

Maybe one day we will see Halo Wars 2, and I certainly hope we do, but the reason we HAVEN’T seen it yet is not because Microsoft doesn’t have the money to pay for it. They certainly do (the company as a whole was worth 224 billion dollars last year). It boils down to priorities. Love it or hate it, Halo Wars is the worst selling Halo game to date. It didn’t sell badly, but it definitely did not live up to the more traditional Hall games when it comes to sales.

In the mean time, if anyone is looking to donate, there are far more deserving causes you can support, like extra life or child’s play.

> Unfortunately, 343 is not an independent studio, so things like this aren’t really in the realm of possibility for them. These kickstarter things are in lieu of publishers, which is why studios like Double Fine and Obsidian are able to take advantage of the unique opportunity kickstarter provides. In these two situations, the publisher is being replaced partially by the users, and partially by the studios. Essentially, the middle step of game development is cut out.
>
> Maybe one day we will see Halo Wars 2, and I certainly hope we do, but the reason we HAVEN’T seen it yet is not because Microsoft doesn’t have the money to pay for it. They certainly do (the company as a whole was worth 224 billion dollars last year). It boils down to priorities. Love it or hate it, Halo Wars is the worst selling Halo game to date. It didn’t sell badly, but it definitely did not live up to the more traditional Hall games when it comes to sales.
>
> In the mean time, if anyone is looking to donate, there are far more deserving causes you can support, like extra life or child’s play.

I fully understand what they are used for… I work at Obsidian and I personally donated 20 to double fine without a request for a reward.

I do get that it is to bi-pass a publisher and having the community fund a project.

However - my spin on this experiment is purely to see if Microsoft will test the waters with something like this. MS would have to sign off on it - and I understand they have tons of money. But they aren’t doing anything for Halo Wars and the community wants support.

So - the crazy out of the box idea is to have the community come up with money for the publisher to use to create content for us since they see it as a bad investment. If they want - they can go further and match the money that has been raised.

As far as your personal agenda of your donation ideas - those are both great things to donate to, but I believe that Halo Wars deserves more love than anything else right now.

343 has all but abandoned us in the past year and nearly killed our community when they shut down halowars.com

So - let me clear my throat… I will do whatever it takes to get 343 to help support the game I know and love. I am sorry you don’t appreciate the effort, but I have the support of many within the community. We actually want to see this happen in one way or another. We simply want support - and if we need to pull out a checkbook to make it happen - I’m happy to do so as I recognize it is not cheap to work on games.

Summary - MS could do this if they chose to. Do they need our money? No - but as a publisher they only reason to do something is to grow and expand investments. A free investment with an opportunity to make lots of money from the community with a lot of buzz? That is something I think some would like to do.

It would have a LOT of media coverage for sure I can tell you that much. Probably hit 1200 degrees on N4G on the first day.

I will keep pushing as long as I have to with this idea and the support of others within the community.

alright… I’m going to settle this…I’m gonna buy Microsoft and make Halo Wars 2.

Done Deal

> alright… I’m going to settle this…I’m gonna buy Microsoft and make Halo Wars 2.
>
> Done Deal

If only it were that simple…

> 343 has all but abandoned us in the past year and nearly killed our community when they shut down halowars.com
>
> So - let me clear my throat… I will do whatever it takes to get 343 to help support the game I know and love. <mark>I am sorry you don’t appreciate the effort, but I have the support of many within the community. We actually want to see this happen in one way or another.</mark> We simply want support - and if we need to pull out a checkbook to make it happen - I’m happy to do so as I recognize it is not cheap to work on games.
>
>
> Summary - MS could do this if they chose to. Do they need our money? No - but as a publisher they only reason to do something is to grow and expand investments. A free investment with an opportunity to make lots of money from the community with a lot of buzz? That is something I think <mark>some</mark> would like to do.

<mark>A portion. A portion of the community MIGHT want this. Not everyone. Please don’t over-generalize and assume.</mark>

343 never really abandoned it b/c it was an Ensemble Studios project and it was actually never originally intended to be a Halo project. Microsoft suggested so. So that’s a moot point there.

MS/343i are kind of busy working on Halo projects already off the drawing board. You’re right that it’s totally do-able but it’s also got a bunch of ground work to lay in order to get Halo Wars back up anyway.

Some. Not everyone. Just keep that in mind and also remember that being overly passionate can also be viewed as cramming your idea down someones throat until they agree to it. That’s how it looks like you’re going about it anyways.

Just hypothetically - What if MS contacted you and flat out said No with their reasons. Would you still be persistent about it and reject their reasons? Serious question.

> > 343 has all but abandoned us in the past year and nearly killed our community when they shut down halowars.com
> >
> > So - let me clear my throat… I will do whatever it takes to get 343 to help support the game I know and love. <mark>I am sorry you don’t appreciate the effort, but I have the support of many within the community. We actually want to see this happen in one way or another.</mark> We simply want support - and if we need to pull out a checkbook to make it happen - I’m happy to do so as I recognize it is not cheap to work on games.
> >
> >
> > Summary - MS could do this if they chose to. Do they need our money? No - but as a publisher they only reason to do something is to grow and expand investments. A free investment with an opportunity to make lots of money from the community with a lot of buzz? That is something I think <mark>some</mark> would like to do.
>
> <mark>A portion. A portion of the community MIGHT want this. Not everyone. Please don’t over-generalize and assume.</mark>
>
>
> 343 never really abandoned it b/c it was an Ensemble Studios project and it was actually never originally intended to be a Halo project. Microsoft suggested so. So that’s a moot point there.
>
> MS/343i are kind of busy working on Halo projects already off the drawing board. You’re right that it’s totally do-able but it’s also got a bunch of ground work to lay in order to get Halo Wars back up anyway.
>
>
> Some. Not everyone. Just keep that in mind and also remember that being overly passionate can also be viewed as cramming your idea down someones throat until they agree to it. That’s how it looks like you’re going about it anyways.
>
> Just hypothetically - What if MS contacted you and flat out said No with their reasons. Would you still be persistent about it and reject their reasons? Serious question.

If MS said no way in hell - I would leave it at that. It is their IP and I can’t do anything about it.

I would hope they wouldn’t do that as there are a lot of people wanting a sequel.

For the record - a large number of people actually do support this idea and would. I have had a poll running here, at bungie, and the underground halowars forums lazyfrog.us

At each location - nearly half of those who have voted want this to happen.

<mark>http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=70040735&postRepeater1-p=4#70154522</mark>
<mark>https://halo.xbox.com/Forums/yaf_postst58462_KickStart-Funding-for-Halo-Wars-DLC--HW2.aspx</mark>

I would give the lazyfrog - but my work domain blocks it :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyways -

41 votes on 343 and 235 votes on Bungie.net totals up at 276 people voting so far. Only 136 people said no while the remaining mentioned that they would give either 5 dollars or more to the cause.

Less than 50% (49.27%) said no within a polling of 276 people voting. That is worth something to look at. Now granted there is a high deviation of this not being true as many will say they will give - but in the end they wouldn’t. So I assume out of the 50% who said they would give actually wouldn’t.

So - Even if a quarter of the people gave - that is still 69 people giving money. If they each gave 5 dollars - that’s a total of 345 dollars. It isn’t much - but then again the amount of people voted is not an accurate representation of the community within halo as a whole.

You throw this up on a fundraising site, have Kotaku, IGN, or anyone give it a mention - and BOOOOOM. It erupts into a plethora of traffic.

If MS decided to tell me NO - I would walk away from this idea - but until that time comes, yes - I’m going to continue throwing this idea out there. Strong people with ideas they believe in continue regardless of how much negativity and flak from others. Hell - Obama got to the white house even with death threats, racism, and people who hated his ideas. If I decided to back off - I wouldn’t have helped to get the Halo Wars community a bit more involved.

My postings and ideas have spawned more community activity and ideas within. If you don’t like them - that is your choice. Am I going to change my tactics because you feel I’m “cramming them down people’s throats” - the simple answer is no. You are one person who disagrees with me and doesn’t like my way of doing things. That is your right and I’m sorry you feel that way. Anything is possible and I’m going to do whatever it takes to get my idea up and running. Until the day MS says to me, “NO” I will continue to throw this idea out there.

Cheers,
XxX Post XxX

In all honesty I just hope that a budget is made for halo wars 2 some day.