Community Forge and Custom Game Ideas! (Unofficial)

Have some cool ideas for Custom Games or Forge? Post them here! If you have any things you’d like to add to something that is already here go ahead! Hot topic ideas will be posted to the top! Keep it clean!

Forge

1. Buttons, Switches, Etc: The obvious uses to these are doors, but I have thought of more uses for them. Buttons seem like a complicated concept, some questions it often gets is: How would you create a wire to both of them? Would you only be able to use one button because it would otherwise affect all the other doors?
I thought of an easier way to connect items, from looking at the teleporters in reach. Have a button set as alpha, and the door set to it as well. this way you could have multiple doors and even have it connect to more than one door.
As you can see in this picture there are a few options. The first is Channel Path. Channel Path sets an E.F. item to sender, receiver, or both. An item set as sender, when activated, will only activate any other object with the same Channel, not Channel Path. An item set as receiver will only be affected by sender. An item set as both, well that’s pretty self-explanitory. This may sound confusing to some, but let me give some examples. A button by default will be a sender, so that a receiver set as alpha will receive. A door as a sender, when opened, will affect any other receivers or “boths.” However for a door to work as a sender it has to be set as both, otherwise it will never be openable by another button. This could lead to some pretty intersting results in custom games.
The second option is the channel which has already been explained. The third, fourth, and fifth options are all color options for buttons. The first is for a neutral button, or one that has not been activated. The second for a button that has been activated. The last for one that is locked.
This brings me to another topic, locked buttons. Any E.F. item can be set to a locked mode with a few options. Items such as doors, and road blocks are by default set as locked, because they are receivers and would need to be opened. Locks have a few ways of being unlocked. The first is to put a time on it so that, for example, after thirty seconds the door will open. The second is to have it open after another E.F. item is activated. The third is a bit more complicated because it uses several inputs. When three of the outputs are activated, the E.F. item will be activated. This means that an object can has a few channels. One is the original, where anything in the same channel will be activated. The other is in the advanced menu, where an objects has one output, and if the lock is set as true, can have up to 3 inputs. Other buttons can also re-lock another, allowing for an option to close a door.
A third characteristic of E.F. items is that they affect normal items, and custom game options. If an Item has a custom trait (see forge idea number 5) it can be set to be activated by an E.F. Item. It can also be said to affect the entire custom game overall.

2. Weather, Time, and Special Effects: Current ideas for effects: (May change with more suggestions.)

Time

• Day (No effects, unless different on map)
    -Morning/Dawn
    -Night

Weather
-Rain
-Snow
-Sunny (No effects, unless different on map)

Special
-(All previous effects)

Time effects would only affect the skybox, Weather effects would effect the screen to show snow, but only in areas where the skybox is visible, and would leave marks of whatever it has on the ground. (Ex: Snow falls on ground.) Special effects would be a screen filter. These would be separated because if you want it to be night in the skybox, but still want things visible, then the map would be bright, but the skybox would be be dark and have stars. If you want rain, then the skybox would be sunny, but there would be rain falling. If you wanted everything to be as reall as possible then you would have a night effect, a rain effect, and a purple/blue effect. Also, these, except time effects, would be customizable by range and would work the same way a hill marker does in Reach for range. The reason time effects can’t be affected by range is because it is a skybox, and will cover the whole map (that is unless 343 has the patience to do something like that). A good way that range can help is lets say I want to, for aesthetic reasons, want to make one side of blood gulch rainy, and the other snowy. Also there can only be one time and weather effect at a time.

3. Civilian Vehicles, and other aesthetic items: Yes aesthetic items are technically useless, but when you make Machinima, or want to make your map look pretty, these are simply things you want. This idea doesn’t need explanation, just a wish list: (May change with more suggestions)

Civilian Vehicles
-Civilian Warthog
-Police Car (Like in ODST)
-All Halo Reach Campaign Vehicles
-Drivable Boat

Aesthetic Items
-Computers
-TVs

• Sofas
    -Chairs
    -Tables
    -Sinks
    -Ovens
    -Weapon Holders

4. Breakable Items: All items by default will be unbreakable, unless they’re something like a pallet. However items can be destroyed, broken, shattered, with options. Once the item is set to be destructible it has a certain amount of defense ranging from one to ten, one being easily destroyed, and ten being pretty buff. This could add great things to custom games, and multiplayer maps with destructible cover. (No more camping!)

5. Area Custom Traits: Like a Safe Haven and custom power-up combined. These areas would have custom traits, including gravity. You would be able to add jump height, change the color of your armor, be invisible, etc. These could be set as visible or not, depending on whether you want players to be able to see the area of affect or not. These can be activated and locked by E.F. items.
-Brootal Eskimo

6. Invisible Walls: Can be editable by range, as a box, or cylinder to prevent players to enter prohibited areas.
-Brootal Eskimo

7. Shared Budget: Have all items share a budget, it’s annoying when you can only put 50 walls.
-Pretty much the entire community.

8. Can we haz moar options?! Wishlist: (May change with more suggestions)
-Allow things to disappear after a certain amount of time, and E.F. items.
-More Gametype Labels.
-Us again.

9. Grouping: Like E.F. items, objects can be held together by grouping so that all of them can move together.
-jdog779

If anyone else has an idea they’d like to share, please post it here! If you need help on how you would want it to work let me know, and I’ll see what I can do! I can also do my best to edit, or sketch some images, to give a visual example on how things would work! Thanks again guys, you’re all awesome! :slight_smile:

(Note, any idea without a signature is my idea, but I’m to lazy to link my profile, if anyone else posts a good idea, or gets a lot of attention I will put your name there, no matter how many ideas you have!

Reserved

Reserved*

Reserved**

**Reserved

*Reserved, for the last time :wink:

I would really like AOF. (Area of Effect) ex:If you jump w/ the grav hammer and hit at the right time you can make big AOF. And of course its supposed to be switchable.

Oh my god, such a late response; do you mean that the gravity hammer would leave an effect on the terrain?

Why has no one replied? These are some good ideas.

I don’t know about a working boat but I’d be in for everything else for sure…I was hoping for buttons/switches in Reach so hopefully they’ll work it into the next installment

I would also like aesthetic items like computers, desks, random potted plants etc. Add in destructibility and you have gold there, especially in normal multiplayer or just Machinima as stated above

I really want destroyed vecihles as an option for that extra asthetic look!

That’s an uneeded amount of reservations, but. I have heard all these ideas many times before, and likely we will see something like this in Halo 4. In reach, I’m not so sure, it’s very possible that they give us switches for doors and etc. but weather etc. is in a whole nother game.

But I like some of your ideas and definitley hope we get some of these features in later games.

You ideas are good but nothing you have said here is new. Go read the main Halo 4 forge thread.

vehicles from halo 2 and 3’s campaign

chopper
spectre
troop hog
and the scarab (imagine extreme duck hunting =D)

ability to make custom vehicles

(ghost that shoots fuel rods)
(falcon with grenade launchers)

Please, if there is one thing the community has requested most, it is probably Scarabs, Pelicans, Spirits, and Phantoms. Yeah they are big, but with the size of forge world…

Another great one would be to have the ability to edit the land itself. I realize forge is more of a map editor, not creator, but that can change in the future.

Fire, Water, and other ‘elemental’ stuff. I guess this would work by basically drawing on the map for fire, and you would be able to place water like anything else except it would interact with already placed objects.

Custom Game Idea
by Milk

I’ve always had a gametype laying around in my customs list called “28 Days Later” (obviously an infection gametype)
How the game works in Reach goes a bit like this…
Alpha Zombies run at 150 percent speed and have 75 jump height. They have shields, but they’re bright and blood red so they’re easy to spot out of a crowd. However, because of their high speed and health they usually end up picking off a few people early on unless everyone sticks together.
Regular Zombies run at 125 percent speed and have normal jump height, have no shields but are immune to headshots. They’re colored black and tend to blend in with the environment if you have the right filters turned on. They’re easy to handle singularly but facing more than 3 at a time becomes problematic even if you have a buddy with you.
All zombies can see where humans are at all times - all humans have a marker over their heads. There’s not a single second in this gametype where you’re safe - there will always be infected coming for you. Not to mention, all zombies have sprint.

Humans have 2 loadouts - Spawn with an Assault Rifle and Magnum, or a Shotgun. Most people tend to pick the shotgun, which is fine for single encounters, but having a coordinated team of infected means they’ll get overrun quickly. Humans also have a very limited radar. The only times you’ll see a red dot is if they’re right outside the door, killing your friend, or killing you.
It’s very popular, especially on big maps, but I’d like to know how I could improve this in any way.

> I really want destroyed vecihles as an option for that extra asthetic look!

Indeed, it’s very hard to do some cool destructive scenery for a map, without showing the fire! I’ll add you’re idea!

> That’s an uneeded amount of reservations, but. I have heard all these ideas many times before, and likely we will see something like this in Halo 4. In reach, I’m not so sure, it’s very possible that they give us switches for doors and etc. but weather etc. is in a whole nother game.
>
> But I like some of your ideas and definitley hope we get some of these features in later games.

I thought of how the game would work, and a simple fix for weather, as I posted above, is just to put a filter over the camera, like it does for the green effect in Reach, and you would be able to place a hill marker as an area as to where it doesn’t work.

> You ideas are good but nothing you have said here is new. Go read the main Halo 4 forge thread.

My thread is different from others because I give an explanation to how things will work, so that the creators have an easier idea on how to configure things! :slight_smile:

> Please, if there is one thing the community has requested most, it is probably Scarabs, Pelicans, Spirits, and Phantoms. Yeah they are big, but with the size of forge world…
>
> Another great one would be to have the ability to edit the land itself. I realize forge is more of a map editor, not creator, but that can change in the future.
>
> Fire, Water, and other ‘elemental’ stuff. I guess this would work by basically drawing on the map for fire, and you would be able to place water like anything else except it would interact with already placed objects.

Hm… I think I can figure something out for those…