Combining the Plasma Rifle and Repeater

The weapon would function like the Plasma Rifle, overheating if continuously fired for too long, but could be manually vented before overheating to cool down quicker like the Plasma Repeater. Unlike the Plasma Repeater, the weapon’s rate of fire would not be affected by heat level.

Rather than the heat from a venting Plasma Riflepeater being harmlessly released out the side of the weapon, the heat should be released from the front of the weapon, focused into a concentrated stream of superheated gases capable of dealing damage. The damage dealt from the thermal attack would be proportionate to the weapon’s heat level at the time of venting. Higher heat level means more damage dealt. While the range of the thermal attack would always be very short regardless of heat level, venting a weapon that is over 90% heat level would kill a fully shielded Spartan if hit.

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

no

Meh. The Repeater just felt like a large Plasma Rifle, only with an overheat. I personally never liked it, as it just felt like a rehash. Perhaps only having a Plasma Rifle would be best.

Something really needs to be done with the weapon utilizing the overheat mechanic usefully to set it apart so that it’s not just a Purple AR.

Best example of the overheat mechanic being used is with the Beam Rifle. You can fire normally at gain a slight advantage in not having to reload after certain points. You can just keep firing until the magazine is empty.

On the other hand, you can double tap for two quick shots at a cost of an extended cooldown animation and additional ammo consumed than just firing two shots.

The plasma repeater is simply the Covenant equivalent of an SMG, the way the plasma rifle is/was the Covenant equivalent of an assault rifle.

Not sure why there always has to be Covenant versions of most UNSC weapons and vice versa (sniper/beam rifle, rockets/fuel rod gun, etc.) but some of them definitely lead to pointlessly repetitive weapons at the expense of including interesting ones.

Some of them really are distinct and function differently (magnum vs. plasma pistol, for example), but the problem became ridiculous when new Forerunner weapons were factored in. So, in Halo 4, we ended up with the assualt rifle, AND the storm rifle, AND the suppressor, all of which do virtually the same thing. At the same time, we lost the grenade launcher and the plasma launcher, two distinct and unusual weapons that could take skill to learn.

I’d much rather see those type of weapons brought back rather than more endless variations on the same things.

> The weapon would function like the Plasma Rifle, overheating if continuously fired for too long, but could be manually vented before overheating to cool down quicker like the Plasma Repeater. Unlike the Plasma Repeater, the weapon’s rate of fire would not be affected by heat level.

Yes.

And by yes I mean yes.

> Rather than the heat from a venting Plasma Riflepeater being harmlessly released out the side of the weapon, the heat should be released from the front of the weapon, focused into a concentrated stream of superheated gases capable of dealing damage. The damage dealt from the thermal attack would be proportionate to the weapon’s heat level at the time of venting. Higher heat level means more damage dealt. While the range of the thermal attack would always be very short regardless of heat level, venting a weapon that is over 90% heat level would kill a fully shielded Spartan if hit.

Yes.

And by yes I mean no.

> Something really needs to be done with the weapon utilizing the overheat mechanic usefully to set it apart so that it’s not just a Purple AR.

…like what the Plasma Repeater was in Halo: Reach?

I’d rather like to have the CE plasma rifle back. I liked how it was accurate and effective.

> I’d rather like to have the CE plasma rifle back. I liked how it was accurate and effective.

Only the first shot. The following shots were all over the place.

The blast requires the weapon to be very overheated.

By the time the weapon is overheated, the guy in-front of you is likely already dead if he’s still within CQC range.

Maybe you could combine a low-powered venting with melee for a kill, but still, doesn’t seem like all that useful of a feature.

> > I’d rather like to have the CE plasma rifle back. I liked how it was accurate and effective.
>
> Only the first shot. The following shots were all over the place.

Yes, if you fired it full auto it was inaccurate. If you fired it semi-auto, like the Magnum, then it was accurate.

Seriously, did you not know this?

> Seriously, did you not know this?

Oh I’m sorry he wasn’t a CE god.

Seriously, he doesn’t need to know everything about the game, it’s not like the CE Plasma Rifle is a hot topic.

> > > I’d rather like to have the CE plasma rifle back. I liked how it was accurate and effective.
> >
> > Only the first shot. The following shots were all over the place.
>
> Yes, if you fired it full auto it was inaccurate. If you fired it semi-auto, like the Magnum, then it was accurate.
>
> Seriously, did you not know this?

Yes, I know a lot about Halo. I know that the spread rate was severely reduced in the campaign to the point that the Magnums spread rate doesn’t reach beyond the distance of the reticule when zoomed in, even when you are not zoomed with the weapon.

As for semi-auto, the game was made in like 6 months and they had to rush programming. So while they managed to get the spread rate programmed into the game, they didn’t have time to properly code the spread recovery and it was too fast to the point that it seems instantly when you lift your finger off the trigger.

> > I’d rather like to have the CE plasma rifle back. I liked how it was accurate and effective.
>
> Only the first shot. The following shots were all over the place.

Didn’t of course mean it like every shot is accurate but yea. It was quite accurate if you shot with it in short bursts. Which I’m sure you do know :stuck_out_tongue:

The perfect plasma weapon is the storm rifle just able to choose when you want to vent it out like the repeater.

Or they could stop making Plasma Rifle clones and just settle on one or two.

Storm Rifle as a Primary weapon, Plasma Rifle as a Sidearm? Works for me.

> > > I’d rather like to have the CE plasma rifle back. I liked how it was accurate and effective.
> >
> > Only the first shot. The following shots were all over the place.
>
> Didn’t of course mean it like every shot is accurate but yea. It was quite accurate if you shot with it in short bursts. Which I’m sure you do know :stuck_out_tongue:

If you tapped the trigger it would fire semi-automatically and every single shot would fire perfectly straight, and faster than it’s base RoF if your finger was fast enough. Making it an incredible pseudo-automatic. Especially with the Headshot bonus, Plasma Stun, and raw power per shot.

> Or they could stop making Plasma Rifle clones and just settle on one or two.
>
> Storm Rifle as a Primary weapon, Plasma Rifle as a Sidearm? Works for me.

Why should Halo have “sidearms”, weapons that are intentionally designed to not be as effective as other weapons?

What would differentiate the Storm Rifle from the Plasma Rifle that you suggested?

> > Or they could stop making Plasma Rifle clones and just settle on one or two.
> >
> > Storm Rifle as a Primary weapon, Plasma Rifle as a Sidearm? Works for me.
>
> Why should Halo have “sidearms”, weapons that are intentionally designed to not be as effective as other weapons?
>
> What would differentiate the Storm Rifle from the Plasma Rifle that you suggested?

What differenciates an Assault Rifle from an SMG?

> > Why should Halo have “sidearms”, weapons that are intentionally designed to not be as effective as other weapons?
> >
> > What would differentiate the Storm Rifle from the Plasma Rifle that you suggested?
>
> What differenciates an Assault Rifle from an SMG?

Let’s not forget the Magnum and the DMR relationship too.

The fact is that these relationships can and do exist in Halo’s sandbox and IMO loud outs are the perfect way to make use of them.

AR-Magnum.

DMR-SMG.

NR-PR.

This is why the Needle pistol was such a popular idea a while back. It’d be the perfect side arm to go alongside the SR.

Utility combos: They’re what’s going to make load outs awesome.

Any ways load out babble aside.

I like the idea of the PR getting venting. Honestly I’d like venting to become standard for all weapons capable of overheating.

But the venting being turned into an offensive capability seems like it would go against the purpose of the mechanic. If your gun overheats that’s supposed to be a punishment.

P.S Wait a minute…

> Or they could stop making Plasma Rifle clones and just settle on one or two.
>
> <mark>Storm Rifle as a Primary weapon,</mark> Plasma Rifle as a Sidearm? Works for me.

Where’d this sudden change of heart come from? I thought you were dead set on all automatics becoming secondaries?