Combat Capsule

The Mantis is replaced by the Promethean Combat Capsule. Like the Prophet’s Gravity Throne, the Combat Capsule appears as a floating platform upon which the operator sits. Unlike the Gravity Throne, the Combat Capsule’s operator is protected by a hemi-ellipsoidal bubble of hardlight surrounding the top side of the floating platform. The egg shaped hardlight bubble can be temporarily disabled, through damage or an EMP attack, leaving the operator exposed and vulnerable to direct fire. The Combat Capsule can only be boarded once the protective hardlight bubble is disabled but it can be boarded from any direction.

Similar to Covenant hover tech, the Combat Capsule can quickly accelerate in any horizontal direction but its top speed is fairly slow. Unlike Covenant hover tech, the Combat Capsule hovers much higher, at approximately 1.5 Spartan heights off the ground, allowing players and vehicles to pass underneath unhindered. Jump gives the capsule a momentary increase in altitude before coming back down to rest at the standard hover height. Crouch toggles between hovering at the standard hover height or at a low, close to the ground, hover height. Melee attack is disabled while crouching.

Tapping melee causes a miniature Incineration Cannon style projectile to be fired straight down from the underside of the floating platform. The splash damage radius is smaller than Halo 4′s Incineration Cannon but it still disintegrates infantry and destroys vehicles on contact.

The vehicle operator is capable of simultaneously firing both an automatic, non-headshot-capable Sentinel Beam, by holding the left trigger, and a semi-automatic, headshot-capable Particle Beam by tapping the right trigger. The “overheat threshold”, the point at which the weapons overheat, is higher than on standard infantry weapons but both of the Combat Capsule’s weapons, the Sentinel Beam and the Particle Beam, share one battery.

So… Is this speculation, a “good idea” of yours, a rumor you heard, or do you have a link to where this was confirmed?

From the sounds of it, this would be a Campaign-only thing because it sounds way too strong. I’d like my Mantis back please.

Why is this replacing the Mantis, and why are we giving the Prometheans vehicles?

I would rather 343i make good use of the Forerunner Tank, that was cut in Halo 2, instead.

This is cool. You should post this on Beyond.

> Why is this replacing the Mantis, and why are we giving the Prometheans vehicles?

This. And while we are on topic, why are the super advanced forerunner-tech-using promethians using weapons that are merely on par with what humans with their “primitive” ballistic weapons can manage?

Oh, and I rather liked the mantis. it was an interesting addition that was very different from anything prior to it, and made for some awesome sequences in OPS. I just wish it was featured more often. what OP suggesting seems to me like it is basically a flying mantis.

> why are we giving the Prometheans vehicles?

Think of it more as an armored command center, like extra protection against the Flood, rather than a traditional transport vehicle to get you from point A to point B.

> > Why is this replacing the Mantis, and why are we giving the Prometheans vehicles?
>
> This. And while we are on topic, <mark>why are the super advanced forerunner-tech-using promethians using weapons that are merely on par with what humans with their “primitive” ballistic weapons can manage?</mark>

Probably because gameplay =/= canon.

> > why are we giving the Prometheans vehicles?
>
> Think of it more as an armored command center, like extra protection against the Flood, rather than a traditional transport vehicle to get you from point A to point B.

Why would Prometheans need an armored command center? And whatever you want to call it, it’s still a liability if the Flood manage to hijack it.

> Why would Prometheans need an armored command center? And whatever you want to call it, it’s still a liability if the Flood manage to hijack it.

You know how Brute Chieftains had unique Equipment like Invincibility that other, lower ranking, Brutes did not possess? Perhaps Promethean Commanders command from a Combat Capsule, giving them an extra layer of protection and firepower as well as a better view over the battlefield.

> You know how Brute Chieftains had unique Equipment like Invincibility that other, lower ranking, Brutes did not possess? Perhaps Promethean Commanders command from a Combat Capsule, giving them an extra layer of protection and firepower as well as a better view over the battlefield.

You haven’t answered my questions.

> Why would Prometheans need an armored command center?.

Certain Prometheans would need an armored command center so they could focus more of their energy on observing the battle, and coordinating their troops, instead of being concerned with fighting off each individual enemy that approaches.

The vehicle is not specifically a movement enhancer, like most vehicles. It is more of a fortification with limited mobility.

I actually find this very interesting, I like this idea.