colossus rework ideas

I have to say I’m loving the new hero meta CA decided to implement, it inadvertently fixed sergent johnsons early game since his leader and upgrades are so cheap combined with bunker drop and heals to counter snipers. In order for Sargent Johnson to make the next step into becoming the best possible leader he can be, the colossus will need to be reworked. Simply increasing the amount of health and damage the colossus has will not have much of an affect on Johnsons play because his true strength of his army lies in the mantis. Johnson’s late game is very different and rather odd from the other leaders due to his mantis’ being able to fill the role of a tier 3 unit such as a scorpion. I often like to consider the mantis the mark 3 version of the marine, since its advantages include being easy mass produce, has great synergy with nightingales, are very mobile, and can do considerable damage to any unit type whether it be infantry, vehicle, or air.

The mantis biggest strength is its mobility which allows you to easily re-position your army to any situation that arises, which also allow nightingales to benefit from the speed of the mantis. Often times nightingales are unable to utilize their maximum speed while in combat causing them to be easy prey to AA due to the AI lowering the speed of the fastest unit to the speed of the slowest unit. However due the speed of the mantis, nightingales are only required to lower its speed to the mantis’ already high speed allowing them to escape danger easier as well as keep the mantis’ below the alive longer. Mech overcharge allows the mechs to become even faster, do more damage, and most importantly become invincible for a short amount of time. This would allow a group of upgraded mantis’ to run into a group of scorpions and shred half of the army to death then be able to utilize its speed to make a quick withdrawal.

With the current meta, the role of the colossus seems to be misplaced. The colossus in its current state even with buffs to its damage and health would completely ruin the synergy since the speed is the biggest liability to the army. The mantis and nightingales cannot be mobile with colossus in its mix since the ai will force to fastest of units to lower its speed down to the slowest unit in the army which is the colossus. This removes to mantis’ greatest strength that it has on the field which is its mobility to quickly re-position itself accordingly to any given situation.

The biggest fix that will allow the colossus to synergize really well with the mantis play is if the colossus would have the ability to lock down itself like the cobra from the first halo wars to increase its range. Though this ability has been advocated by other throughout the community over the months I feel that they have not highlighted what role this new version of the colossus is supposed to fulfill. The role I see the colossus being great at with lockdown is a heavy support/artillery unit that can enhance the mantis/nightingale composition which bring out the full potential of the mech play.

With the colossus being able to lock itself down, this would allow the mantis and nightingales to synergize on the frontlines while the colossus support the mantis from afar since the ai is not automatically slowing the whole army down to accommodate for the colossus. Like each tier 3 heavy vehicle such as the wraith and scorpion, it has a y ability that allows it to deal with infantry units such as cyclops and hunters. The colossus on the other hand has this stomp ability that requires you to be on top of the enemy teams army in order to utilize. The colossus’ speed however makes the stomp ability very impractical since any other army can easily keep up with a colossus and often outrun it, making the ability go to waste. A change I would propose is to replace the stomp with an ability called charged shot. This new ability will augment the colossus main cannon when locked down to also deal with an AOE damage that accounts to say 50 percent damage to enemies around the colossus’ target but will also apply a slow to ground armies further amplifying the speed of the mantis and nightingale since they are now dealing with even slower moving targets.
(edit: maybe even have like this electrical effect like cyclops’ do when you give them that electric upgrade)

This change in a way would keep the slow moving heavy hitting mech play that CA is trying to implement. Even though the mantis’ and nightingales are very mobile to unlock the full potential of sergeant Johnson’s army you still need to slow yourself down to the speed of the colossus and get them set up so they can support the mantis’ from afar.

Any ideas you would want to add on how to make Sargent Johnson better would be appreciated.

I feel like the biggest thing the Colossus needs is a boost to it’s range. It’s damage in this version is now very high; it can one or two shot anti-vehicle with ease. With mech overcharge, it’s also easy to approach to stomp. However, it’s range still isn’t how it’s described. I feel like the biggest rework needed to the colossus is to fix it’s AI to shoot from the longest distance possible and not walk in to engage directly. The minigun can stay short range, but I feel like the heavy railgun should shoot about as far as a Kodiak. In my opinion, this would make the Colossus a VERY effective siege unit, able to pick off enemies as they try to get close enough to hit it.

With the colossus functioning like this, Johnson’s mech ball would become much more effective. You could engage on the frontlines with Mantises and Nightingales to paint targets and increase the colossus’s damage (colossuses one-shot anti-vehicle when it’s painted), and have the colossuses providing heavy fire from the back. This would make the unit very threatening.

I do agree that the Mantis is awesome in this version, though. The target painter is SO good as a supporting function, it allows your army to deal much more damage. And they don’t lost to a single cyclops anymore! (yay.)

all I say is his range needs to be boost and I think its fine then

> 2533274855860700;1:
> I have to say I’m loving the new hero meta CA decided to implement, it inadvertently fixed sergent johnsons early game since his leader and upgrades are so cheap combined with bunker drop and heals to counter snipers. In order for Sargent Johnson to make the next step into becoming the best possible leader he can be, the colossus will need to be reworked. Simply increasing the amount of health and damage the colossus has will not have much of an affect on Johnsons play because his true strength of his army lies in the mantis. Johnson’s late game is very different and rather odd from the other leaders due to his mantis’ being able to fill the role of a tier 3 unit such as a scorpion. I often like to consider the mantis the mark 3 version of the marine, since its advantages include being easy mass produce, has great synergy with nightingales, are very mobile, and can do considerable damage to any unit type whether it be infantry, vehicle, or air.
>
> The mantis biggest strength is its mobility which allows you to easily re-position your army to any situation that arises, which also allow nightingales to benefit from the speed of the mantis. Often times nightingales are unable to utilize their maximum speed while in combat causing them to be easy prey to AA due to the AI lowering the speed of the fastest unit to the speed of the slowest unit. However due the speed of the mantis, nightingales are only required to lower its speed to the mantis’ already high speed allowing them to escape danger easier as well as keep the mantis’ below the alive longer. Mech overcharge allows the mechs to become even faster, do more damage, and most importantly become invincible for a short amount of time. This would allow a group of upgraded mantis’ to run into a group of scorpions and shred half of the army to death then be able to utilize its speed to make a quick withdrawal.
>
> With the current meta, the role of the colossus seems to be misplaced. The colossus in its current state even with buffs to its damage and health would completely ruin the synergy since the speed is the biggest liability to the army. The mantis and nightingales cannot be mobile with colossus in its mix since the ai will force to fastest of units to lower its speed down to the slowest unit in the army which is the colossus. This removes to mantis’ greatest strength that it has on the field which is its mobility to quickly re-position itself accordingly to any given situation.
>
> The biggest fix that will allow the colossus to synergize really well with the mantis play is if the colossus would have the ability to lock down itself like the cobra from the first halo wars to increase its range. Though this ability has been advocated by other throughout the community over the months I feel that they have not highlighted what role this new version of the colossus is supposed to fulfill. The role I see the colossus being great at with lockdown is a heavy support/artillery unit that can enhance the mantis/nightingale composition which bring out the full potential of the mech play.
>
> With the colossus being able to lock itself down, this would allow the mantis and nightingales to synergize on the frontlines while the colossus support the mantis from afar since the ai is not automatically slowing the whole army down to accommodate for the colossus. Like each tier 3 heavy vehicle such as the wraith and scorpion, it has a y ability that allows it to deal with infantry units such as cyclops and hunters. The colossus on the other hand has this stomp ability that requires you to be on top of the enemy teams army in order to utilize. The colossus’ speed however makes the stomp ability very impractical since any other army can easily keep up with a colossus and often outrun it, making the ability go to waste. A change I would propose is to replace the stomp with an ability called charged shot. This new ability will augment the colossus main cannon when locked down to also deal with an AOE damage that accounts to say 50 percent damage to enemies around the colossus’ target but will also apply a slow to ground armies further amplifying the speed of the mantis and nightingale since they are now dealing with even slower moving targets.
> (edit: maybe even have like this electrical effect like cyclops’ do when you give them that electric upgrade)
>
> This change in a way would keep the slow moving heavy hitting mech play that CA is trying to implement. Even though the mantis’ and nightingales are very mobile to unlock the full potential of sergeant Johnson’s army you still need to slow yourself down to the speed of the colossus and get them set up so they can support the mantis’ from afar.
>
> Any ideas you would want to add on how to make Sargent Johnson better would be appreciated.

This is a great idea, and I especially like how you didn’t just say “Colossus shouldn’t have stomp, give it to mantis”. Your change seems to make the most sense and could work with what is there!
If anything though, I would not advocate Mantis to have stomp, that would be so lazy, as lazy as the concept was to begin with.
I’m sorry, I just enjoyed the fact that they took what Mantis had and gave it to Colossus, instead of just doing what we all expected them to do, you know? It was creative.
It didn’t work, but it was creative!

This is like my 5th post of this but this is my suggestion to fix him.My idea before, and one that I stand by, is to put the Colossus in the role of the Cobra from HW1 and to fix the Mantis’ place as a support unit/Warthog/Scorpion. My opinion of Mantis and Colossus in spoiler:

Mantis was meant to be a heavier Warthog with the ability to function as a support unit with the painter upgrade. IMO the painter works wonders with high numbers of Mantis, but the unit is not very functional as either a cheaper Scorpion or a meaner Warthog.The Colossus is described as a slow moving, sniper unit. It’s equipped with a rail gun which is the anti-vehicle weapon in Halo Wars and HW2. As it stands, the range is less than that of a standard Wraith (as Lego mentioned after testing), it’s incredibly expensive in both resources and population, its damage isn’t impressive and it’s too fragile for its speed. It does not in any way represent its description, nor its appearance, nor does it justify its insane cost and build time.My balance suggestions below would place the Colossus as a T3, Grizzly equivalent to the Cobra from HW1. I also think the Grizzly’s population should be reduced to 9 and given a buff to make it worth it.The Mantis was the equivalent to the Scorpion in Halo 4 and 5, but obviously in this game it’s more so like the Warthog. Unfortunately it fills neither role effectively and is only good for painting targets. It either needs an increase to speed or armor/health for survivability. Give Stomp to the Mantis since it’s the unit that actually has Stomp in Halo 4 and 5.Colossus’ description and design makes it seem like the mech version of a Cobra, but its gameplay does not represent it, nor does it function as a useful vehicle. It’s too slow to evade anything, its damage isn’t impressive vs anything besides a Scarab and its armor/health/range make it a waste of resources and pop. I propose to:

• Buff range to match the Wraith at least, minor damage boost, minor speed boost. I say minor because it’s partially what Mech Overdrive and Pelican Dropship seem to be for. It seemed to me a way to increase the units survivability to get into a position to attack or to retreat. - Replace stomp with a “lockdown” ability. Gives a massive boost to range (like Cobra from HW1), armor boost when locked down, increased damage to vehicles and buildings when locked down.Either put the Digging in Deep as an earlier tier ability, or replace it with something remotely useful. It sounds amazing on paper, but in practice it’s implemented at a point where I’d already have two maxed out bases and two minibases making it worthless. I like the idea of giving him a drop since he’s the only leader (I think) without one. Maybe change it to “Heavy Mech Drop” with 1 Colossus, 2 Mantis, 2 Cyclops and buff drop with Mech Overdrive or something. Or you could just give some bonus’ to his passive to increase armor and health of units with Digging in Deep (even makes sense with the ability name). It’d put it in line with Decimus’ and Colony’s tier 5 abilities.My only suggestion to Johnson himself is to do something with the Smart Missile upgrade. It could just be me, but I noticed it does next to no damage to anything. I think it should be some type of anti-air weapon and should get a decent boost to damage against air (just the missile though). Again this might have just been me, so I’d like feedback on that.Replacing his Condor with a Scarab would be nice too.

Edit: This was from the prior buff, so I think the health and damage are in a sweet spot right now; however, I still think a minor buff vs vehicles and especially buildings would be important for the lockdown mode. What is most important for the Colossus right now is a massive range buff.