Color blind...

As an individual with color deficiency to red/green (mostly green for me) it makes me happy to see a game cater to those kinds of needs. My deficiency, while being the most common, isn’t the most extreme case. However, having played several games that offer the color assist I definitely “see” a difference. Particularly any map that is heavy on the green (deuteranomaly) environment which is where I have a greater problem.

I realize that many of the Halo maps are not overly green and covered in foliage but there are more color deficiencies out there other than red/green. Deficiency to blue (tritanomaly), although extremely rare, could be quite hindering since many of the environments are based in blue and purples.

Should more games offer the option? Is this a real problem for players? Would Halo players benefit from it?

I think Battlefield 4 has an option for color blind people. But if your deficiency was identifying blue/purples, choosing your visor color would be a hard decision… ;\

That ain’t no lie! Visor color would be tough. I really like some of the blue/purple visors. lol I think Battlefield 4 was the first game I came across with the option. I did find it beneficial to a small degree but like I said my case of color blindness isn’t terrible compared to others. It was enough to kick me out of the electronics program in the military though. Oddly enough when I went back into the military the SECOND time I passed the color test and was able to get into the Mineman (underwater explosives) program in the Navy which is heavy on the electronics stuff.

I’m colorblind as well, but im not the red/green colorblind that you are. I’m an undefined type so it just sucks…

> 2533274879407634;4:
> I’m colorblind as well, but im not the red/green colorblind that you are. I’m an undefined type so it just sucks…

Eeeeewwwww. That does suck. lol I haven’t seen many games with the color assist let alone one that could fit your needs. Depending on the severity though it can make a big difference especially in multiplayer where it’s most desired I would think. I believe it was COD that basically just changed the enemy gamer tags from red to orange. It helped me a lot. I didn’t struggle to see the red ones but it was like a whole new world once I changed it.

On the plus side I read somewhere that tests were conducted with color blind military personnel and evidence SUGGESTED that those with color deficiency could see a camouflaged target better than those without color blindness. Not that it translates to video games but maybe we have a leg up on something at least. lol

> 2533274808466688;5:
> > 2533274879407634;4:
> > I’m colorblind as well, but im not the red/green colorblind that you are. I’m an undefined type so it just sucks…
>
>
> Eeeeewwwww. That does suck. lol I haven’t seen many games with the color assist let alone one that could fit your needs. Depending on the severity though it can make a big difference especially in multiplayer where it’s most desired I would think. I believe it was COD that basically just changed the enemy gamer tags from red to orange. It helped me a lot. I didn’t struggle to see the red ones but it was like a whole new world once I changed it.
>
> On the plus side I read somewhere that tests were conducted with color blind military personnel and evidence SUGGESTED that those with color deficiency could see a camouflaged target better than those without color blindness. Not that it translates to video games but maybe we have a leg up on something at least. lol

Lol yeah… red black and white I can see fine, every other color screws with me. Neon colors are the absolute worst though.

I wonder if it’s at all possible for color blind mods to be on the hardware side. Like, could Microsoft add a slew of colorblind features to the Xbox One’s OS? Could Sony to the PS4’s? I suppose it comes down to what needs to be done. I legitimately don’t know what game devs have to specifically do to improve visibility for those with color blindness. Maybe the devs often don’t either.

I wouldn’t think it would be very hard. If a standalone game can do it, like COD and Battlefield, I don’t think it would be too difficult for Xbox or Sony to just put it on the system from the start. Another thing I would take into consideration is the color setting on your TV. I don’t know of anyone that moves it off the default settings. Maybe that is another thing that developers contend with though. If I were to change my TV setting would the color assist in a game even work as intended? Basically, saying that if you are going to use it your color/contrast/brightness and whatever else settings all need to be set to default.

Honestly, I don’t know if this is a real issue. Or large enough of an issue to even be addressed. It was just something I got to thinking about.