Co-op characters?

While this might seem like a minuscule to many, I prefer playing co-op as a different player model rather than a duplicate of the main character. While Halo 5 did try that, it was executed horribly since the game had to be played in co-op for it to be enjoyable. I was wondering in Halo Infinite will bring Blue Team back as John’s co-op partners again. But I think they should design the co-op likeliness of Halo 3’s. It was brilliant how they fitted Arbiter into the gameplay and cutscenes with some minor changes between co-op and SP. Also with the additional 2 elites for player 3 and 4: Usze Taham and N’tho sarom (which were canon characters as well)

The red and blue elites were pretty cool. I don’t mind having clones. But if other characters are there then sure. Maybe one level or two where co-op players are not equal? One can be a Spartan, and another an ODST or Sentinel or Alien species. It would have to be a special level where you can’t progress without that species doing something special (except for the ODST perhaps, they’re nearly equal.)

I disagree about the Arbiter. In Halo 2 he underwent an emotional journey to develop agency. In Halo 3 (for the sake of co-op) he was totally reduced to a sidekick, lost that agency, and given a shoddy explanation as to why he was on Earth rather than in the Shadow of Intent.

Blue Team had the same problem, as they were essentially just emotional backup for Chief. Blue Team was also never “tested” as a team, there were no internal conflicts, and they ended the game exactly the same as they started it. There were also quite a few wasted opportunities. Why wasn’t Fred more skeptical, perhaps forcibly, of Chief’s actions? He was often considered to be Chief’s runnerup and was Blue Team’s de facto leader in his absence. The story would have been no different if Blue Team wasn’t in it, and that is endemic of them being treated by the writers as co-op characters. One could say they were penciled into a story that had already been written.

Osiris fared slightly better in that sense because they obviously had a lot more screentime to develop, but also because each character had a somewhat discernible arc. I nonetheless maintain that while co-op characters aren’t bad in their own right, they need to be written as actual characters vital to the outcome of the story.

It would be cool if the other players are in their Spartan avatars (while player 1/host is Master Chief). Just like they did in Halo Reach, but actually implement them into cutscenes somehow. If not the cutscenes, at least the idea of playing your own Spartans if you aren’t Chief. Another cool idea is to swap around as Chief during the lobby menu before starting each mission (host can choose who gets to be Chief).

> 2533274876631466;3:
> I disagree about the Arbiter. In Halo 2 he underwent an emotional journey to develop agency. In Halo 3 (for the sake of co-op) he was totally reduced to a sidekick, lost that agency, and given a shoddy explanation as to why he was on Earth rather than in the Shadow of Intent.
>
> Blue Team had the same problem, as they were essentially just emotional backup for Chief. Blue Team was also never “tested” as a team, there were no internal conflicts, and they ended the game exactly the same as they started it. There were also quite a few wasted opportunities. Why wasn’t Fred more skeptical, perhaps forcibly, of Chief’s actions? He was often considered to be Chief’s runnerup and was Blue Team’s de facto leader in his absence. The story would have been no different if Blue Team wasn’t in it, and that is endemic of them being treated by the writers as co-op characters. One could say they were penciled into a story that had already been written.
>
> Osiris fared slightly better in that sense because they obviously had a lot more screentime to develop, but also because each character had a somewhat discernible arc. I nonetheless maintain that while co-op characters aren’t bad in their own right, they need to be written as actual characters vital to the outcome of the story.

Arbiter was more than just a sidekick. He was a being who was seeking a vendetta on the person who did him and his race wrong. If you ever played his missions that were near the end, he teams up with Johnson and gathers up all the Elites to do a joint operation with the UNSC to fight the civil war that was going on. Chief also got a taste of this too when he was on high charity as well. Arbiter was somewhat inspired by the Heretic Leader since in truth, he did make him and the rest of the Wlites see that they were blindly following the whims of the false prophets that would make their race go extinct for nothing. So at the begging of Halo 3 all the way to the end, he accompanies Chief to stop a shared enemy. Arbiter wanted to stop truth and deactivate the Halo rings just like Chief but also aide him into finding Cortana. Say what you want about his appearance in Halo 3, but the terminals, intro cutscene for Halo 5, and his overall appearance in Halo 5 takes note that he views Chief as a friend and their relationship is expanding. He didn’t view him as an enemy who put him in the position that he was in, but as someone he could rely on. Their mute relationship in the co-op cutscenes takes note of this. This was also suppose to be the end of the Halo games so Bungie throwing away Arbiter just like that after Halo 2 wouldn’t make any sense, so they tried to fit as much as they can as this sort of epic finale that ties up all loose ends and it worked perfectly.

> 2533274818394853;4:
> It would be cool if the other players are in their Spartan avatars (while player 1/host is Master Chief). Just like they did in Halo Reach, but actually implement them into cutscenes somehow. If not the cutscenes, at least the idea of playing your own Spartans if you aren’t Chief. Another cool idea is to swap around as Chief during the lobby menu before starting each mission (host can choose who gets to be Chief).

I really liked how in Reach you played as your own Spartans. But wouldn’t that be unfair for the Chief player? Wouldn’t they want to play as their own character and wouldn’t have the option to like the rest? I think keeping Blue Team is a great opportunity but they need to have a better relationship with Chief because Halo 5 did that horribly.

> 2533274818394853;4:
> It would be cool if the other players are in their Spartan avatars (while player 1/host is Master Chief). Just like they did in Halo Reach, but actually implement them into cutscenes somehow. If not the cutscenes, at least the idea of playing your own Spartans if you aren’t Chief. Another cool idea is to swap around as Chief during the lobby menu before starting each mission (host can choose who gets to be Chief).

Man this would be great. Considering the spartan IV’s are pretty expendable, this would mean there are no lore plot holes for playing solo (as in, solo you are solo)
Having a fireteam running around like in H5 eliminated the possibility of scarier missions (like some of the flood missions in the original trilogy)

> 2533274857853209;7:
> > 2533274818394853;4:
> > It would be cool if the other players are in their Spartan avatars (while player 1/host is Master Chief). Just like they did in Halo Reach, but actually implement them into cutscenes somehow. If not the cutscenes, at least the idea of playing your own Spartans if you aren’t Chief. Another cool idea is to swap around as Chief during the lobby menu before starting each mission (host can choose who gets to be Chief).
>
> Man this would be great. Considering the spartan IV’s are pretty expendable, this would mean there are no lore plot holes for playing solo (as in, solo you are solo)
> Having a fireteam running around like in H5 eliminated the possibility of scarier missions (like some of the flood missions in the original trilogy)

What about Halo 3’s co-op? That was a perfect way of making the co-op canon without requiring a Fireteam to make the co-op canon. I mean if you want to play solo, you literally played solo with Arbiter only teaming up with you in some parts of a mission. Meanwhile in co-op he’s with you every step of the way and could be accompanied by two other elites if you decided to play 4 player coop.

I hope they keep halo 5’s co op system, i liked finally being able to play as a squad of spartans even if they drop the revive mechanic most people didnt seem to like. one idea i saw way back on the forums was after completing your first playthrough ofthe campaign was being able to select your team/playable characters throughout the campaign, which i thought was pretty kool and touches on some the stuff ya’ll are talking about.

> 2535437136592539;8:
> > 2533274857853209;7:
> > > 2533274818394853;4:
> > > It would be cool if the other players are in their Spartan avatars (while player 1/host is Master Chief). Just like they did in Halo Reach, but actually implement them into cutscenes somehow. If not the cutscenes, at least the idea of playing your own Spartans if you aren’t Chief. Another cool idea is to swap around as Chief during the lobby menu before starting each mission (host can choose who gets to be Chief).
> >
> > Man this would be great. Considering the spartan IV’s are pretty expendable, this would mean there are no lore plot holes for playing solo (as in, solo you are solo)
> > Having a fireteam running around like in H5 eliminated the possibility of scarier missions (like some of the flood missions in the original trilogy)
>
> What about Halo 3’s co-op? That was a perfect way of making the co-op canon without requiring a Fireteam to make the co-op canon. I mean if you want to play solo, you literally played solo with Arbiter only teaming up with you in some parts of a mission. Meanwhile in co-op he’s with you every step of the way and could be accompanied by two other elites if you decided to play 4 player coop.

I’d be down for that too. The only reason i liked the first suggestion was because it would add your MP spartan into the game, which imo was a great feature from Reach.
I like both. It just has to be better than what Halo 5 did.

Since the singleplayer is canon then technically other playable characters could be almost anything really as long as the abilities are the same and the model is of similar size.

So technically it could be clones, known characters or your own customizeable characters.