Co-op based ‘Battle Royale’

I would love to see 343 create a unique twist on the battle royale formula. Imagine a co operative mode that sees players in a large covenant controlled sandbox moving towards an extraction point as the planet is glassed around them. Purely player vs AI, one life and bigger rewards for more Spartans extracted at the end to encourage team work.

I don’t feel traditional battle royale and Halo would mix well but I would definitely be interested in a co op driven mode based on it.

Any thoughts or ideas? Good or bad?

> 2787272447965069;1:
> I would love to see 343 create a unique twist on the battle royale formula. Imagine a co operative mode that sees players in a large covenant controlled sandbox moving towards an extraction point as the planet is glassed around them. Purely player vs AI, one life and bigger rewards for more Spartans extracted at the end to encourage team work.
>
> I don’t feel traditional battle royale and Halo would mix well but I would definitely be interested in a co op driven mode based on it.
>
> Any thoughts or ideas? Good or bad?

Coastal Highway in Halo 3 ODST with Iron.

I like it.

Edit:
I think a lot of people are misunderstanding what the OP means. He might call it “Battle Royale”, but due to the fact that it would be against only the AI, have a cooperative objective, and lower player counts, it would play out quite differently from the usual Battle Royale modes and Firefight. If it was given a different name, I think people would like the idea more. Battle Royale has a bad name about it to many people, and that could turn them away from this great idea.

I’d call that more of a variation on the basic formula or Warzone Firefight than a “Battle Royale” mode, if I’m understanding you correctly. And I’m generally all in favor of modes that encourage co-op, so the idea gels with me on that level. The part that’s concerning to me is that 343i seems to have a track record of introducing new gametypes at the expense of even including old favorites.

I’m pretty regularly a downer here on the forums for saying that, if they were looking at it from the perspective of one or the other, I’d prefer they prioritize bringing back real Firefight into the game in a big way, since we haven’t had it in a Halo game for almost a decade now (Warzone Firefight is a fairly different gametype than Firefight as it appeared in Reach for a lot of what I hope are pretty obvious reasons.) My rationale still stands with regards to what you’re proposing; I’d love to try it out, but Firefight is a known winner and if I was the person at 343 responsible for what to develop and what to leave on the drawing board, I’d go with Firefight.

I think we could honestly both come away pretty happy if they expanded the scope of Firefight by making it a Forgeable mode and reinstating the types of Firefight matchmaking playlists we had back in Reach’s glory days. Then it also has the huge advantage of continuing to add replayability to the game long after its online population dwindles to almost nothing, instead of becoming a worthless gametype you can’t even play unless you’re online and there’s a vital player base.

> 2787272447965069;1:
> I would love to see 343 create a unique twist on the battle royale formula. Imagine a co operative mode that sees players in a large covenant controlled sandbox moving towards an extraction point as the planet is glassed around them. Purely player vs AI, one life and bigger rewards for more Spartans extracted at the end to encourage team work.
>
> I don’t feel traditional battle royale and Halo would mix well but I would definitely be interested in a co op driven mode based on it.
>

dont think that would work, besides that sounds a lot like firefight with a few things moved around

> 2787272447965069;1:
>
>

The way I see it, Halo Infinite isn’t called Infinite for nothing. I think this sort of thing will be able to be made by the player but it won’t be a 343 made mode, in my opinion.

I keep saying that if there is going to be a Battle Royale in Halo the only thing 343 Industries should do is simply up the player cap, give us maps like forge world and the tools in forge and let the community design and make the battle royale map and game modes.

Other than that 343 should not even touch it. You can make a psudo battle royal game mode already. Go try it out, sure it will only be 16 players (or whatever H5 has if you want to touch that game) tops but it could be made.
Heck back in halo 2 I made one simply using 1 life slayer, no one liked it back then and I see why, it takes too long even with 16 players and when you die there is nothing to do until the match is over.

343 has already soo much to deliver, Halo as a franchise has tons of game mods and a lot of them are much loved by fans.

Adding something that does not belong to Halo would waste development time, we don’t need Halo to follow trends.

Sounds something like what some multiplayer modes in horror games are, though usually there are some objectives between starting & extraction points to avoid players simply running straight to the extraction point.

Sounds like a good idea, but, instead of the area being glassed what if you were caught up in a full on flood outbreak. Where the circle is getting smaller as the flood grow in numbers.

A 4 player co-op format, where after every circle close a skull modifier comes in to play, to ramp up the difficulty.

Fortnite was my first introduction to video game battle royales. When I first played it, one of my first thoughts was that this game mode is perfect for Halo because 343 could just use ODST drop pods to drop into the map.

I know many Halo fans don’t want to see battle royale in Halo (even I’m hesitant now because I’m so tired of the game type), but I think Halo fits the game type really well.

That being said, I would love to see 343’s twist on the game mode (maybe something that involves respawning so we can use the drop pod more often)

> 2787272447965069;1:
>
>

In other words: You want a Halo experience, that is quite similar to Gears of War 5’s escape mode, which is about reaching the extraction point, before the wave of death approaches. It could work i suppose as a firefight variant.

Just going to say it…just no more battle royale. Halo needs to go back to original ideas…like Firefight but with custom settings. If people want 1 life modes than they should make them in forge or custom game settings.

> 2533274829873463;13:
> Just going to say it…just no more battle royale. Halo needs to go back to original ideas…like Firefight but with custom settings. If people want 1 life modes than they should make them in forge or custom game settings.

Firefight’s already based on gears’ horde mode.

I think game modes like battle royal and firefight will be forgeable which I think would be really cool to see. Custom firefight and battle royal maps made by the community would be an awesome addition to halo infinite

> 2533274964189700;14:
> > 2533274829873463;13:
> > Just going to say it…just no more battle royale. Halo needs to go back to original ideas…like Firefight but with custom settings. If people want 1 life modes than they should make them in forge or custom game settings.
>
> Firefight’s already based on gears’ horde mode.

Not so sure about that, Odst Firefight and Gears Horde were actively being developed at the same time…it’s more likely the idea was shared in development since both company’s were working for Microsoft…which is also probably why we ended up with mech’s type enemy’s in both Gears 4, Halo 4/5 at roughly the same time. Plus originally Halo 3 was going to have Firefight so they would have had to delay the release of the mode so they can release it in Odst instead.

So in theory Gears, Halo 3 would have roughly released it at the same time with the mode…if they hadn’t planned on Odst delaying Firefight’s release.

Anyway I suspect it might have been inspired by games like Doom 2’s Icon of Sin. There’s probably more examples since games designers do generally look around for inspiration.

So pretty much Firefight with only 1 Life set?

Please dont -Yoink!- this halo series with “Battle royale”.

Personally I think a battle royal mode is a great opportunity for 343 to experiment and Microsoft to recoup some investment and provide income that can then be used to keep steady content coming in. There’s no reason why BR can’t be added as a mode so long as they make sure they focus on perfecting the classic modes first. Why not? We want a lasting player base and BR will pull people off of the other games. Honestly adding a BR mode like they did with Warzone does not hurt the series in any way. However, it’s absolutely vital that they’re focus does not stray from the classic multiplayer modes until they’re highly refined and, absolutely f***ing perfect!

Besides, let’s be honest here… We we all know micro transactions are gonna make their way into the game one way or another. Might as well do it in a way that doesn’t force unwanted transactions into the classic modes. Apex is a perfect example of how to do it without being predatory. I think this will provide a way to do that. It’ll also allow them to experiment and get feedback on things that can potentially evolve the game in positive ways without constantly changing and screwing with the classic modes.

I say go for it 343, just don’t screw up the classic multiplayer experience in the process. Keep it all separate.

> 2533274805751874;11:
> Fortnite was my first introduction to video game battle royales.
>
> I know many Halo fans don’t want to see battle royale in Halo (even I’m hesitant now because I’m so tired of the game type), but I think Halo fits the game type really well.

Halo would be perfect for a Battle Royale gametype. I think that fans jump the gun and hate the idea because everyone associates "Battle Royale" with “Fortnite”. There are plenty of other games that have been successful with the gametype. I don’t see any legitimate reason as to why 343 shouldn’t do so with Halo Infinite. I’m not saying that multiplayer has to be completed based around Battle Royale but have a playlist/game option. Black Ops 4 did that. They have PvP multiplayer, Zombies, and their version of Battle Royale - Blackout.