Close-Range or Long-Range?

I am simply asking what style of gameplay do you want Halo 5 to promote. In my opinion I feel games that promote close-range gameplay can offer more diverse player interactions and introduce more strategies in playing against each other than long-range can.

This is exactly how I feel. Someone made a thread about how Halo 5 could revolutionize the fps genre, I think this is the way to go.
Spartan abilities give me hope to new CQC strategies, and if they brought back dual wielding imagine the depth and variety possible in the sandbox.
It would balance out sprint perfectly. by disabling it while dual wielding.
Nobody wants to listen though, since Reach, long range precision weapons have become the standard default loadout in Halo… I hope Halo 5 is different, or back to its roots with a new age feel.

I feel the same way as the OP.

To date the only Halo game that focused on long range was Reach, and look what it did to map movement and flow.

What I’d really like is for the game to have equal emphasis on all ranges. Then we can talk.

> What I’d really like is for the game to have equal emphasis on all ranges. Then we can talk.

Same, with some maps better for close combat and some maps better for any distance in combat the game would be much better. That said a Spartan should be able to go prone, gives less of a target and a sniper sure is not going to just stand up holding their sniper in an open area.

> > What I’d really like is for the game to have equal emphasis on all ranges. Then we can talk.
>
> Same, with some maps better for close combat and some maps better for any distance in combat the game would be much better. That said <mark>a Spartan should be able to go prone, gives less of a target and a sniper sure is not going to just stand up holding their sniper in an open area.</mark>

No, never!
go play COD.

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not purposely bypass the word filter.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

> > What I’d really like is for the game to have equal emphasis on all ranges. Then we can talk.
>
> Same, with some maps better for close combat and some maps better for any distance in combat the game would be much better. That said <mark>a Spartan should be able to go prone</mark>, gives less of a target and a sniper sure is not going to just stand up holding their sniper in an open area.

The day a Spartan goes prone is the day I sell my Xbox. That *ish is f’ing bogus and belong nowhere in Halo.

> That said a Spartan should be able to go prone

No.

Let’s not divert the topic onto going prone because one person mentioned it, I think most of us can agree that it is not a topic for discussion.

OT: A mix of all ranges please, I do not want to be long range all the time or short range all the time, variety is (almost) always nice.

We’ve never really had that many maps that promote close range.
Even most of the small maps emphasize medium range combat.

I would say in general the game should focus on medium / medium-ish ranges, but there should be maps that cater to different styles. Chiron was primarily a Shotgun map while Hang em High was primarily for Snipers.

It would be interesting to see a few maps that, for once, SMG’s and such reign supreme.

A map that promotes SMG’s would be cool, though any map that promotes close-range gameplay will allow side arms to reign along with primary weapons which is something I haven’t seen in Halo during the years I played. The primary weapons are obviously the preferred but that doesn’t mean they have to be the only.

Long range combat ruins halo

But things like the pocket-shotty, armor lock, jet pack and noob vision. Kill the closer ranged combat.

So close-mid range is where halo should be. Mid for the BR/Carbine and closer for the Ma5k, Smg, and Ar.

Close quarters combat is where it’s at.

> That said a Spartan should be able to go <mark>prone</mark>

Sorry to ask, but what does prone mean?

As for the question at hand, I personally feel that there should be an equal emphasise on all ranges. That way the games more balanced.

> Sorry to ask, but what does prone mean?

Laying on your chest aiming your weapon.

> > Sorry to ask, but what does prone mean?
>
> Laying on your chest aiming your weapon.

Ah, thank you. :slight_smile:

> Long range combat ruins halo

Give me five reasons on how that is.

> But things like the pocket-shotty, armor lock, jet pack and noob vision. Kill the closer ranged combat.

Jetpack honestly doesn’t do much to CQC combat. Instead, it breaks just about every other element of the game.

1. Prevents map movement

2. Kills vehicle based combat (enough DMR shots can destroy a tank, wtf?!)

3. makes other weapons besides long ranged weapons redundant

4. Advocates Camping

5. Long range weapons do better than other weapons, in THEIR areas of expertise. (Pre patch Halp 4 dmr)

> 1) Prevents map movement
>
> 2) Kills vehicle based combat (enough DMR shots can destroy a tank, wtf?!)
>
> 3) makes other weapons besides long ranged weapons redundant
>
> 4) Advocates Camping
>
> 5) Long range weapons do better than other weapons, in THEIR areas of expertise. (Pre patch Halp 4 dmr)

1. If your enemy can shoot you with a DMR, you can shoot them with a DMR.
    Discourages perhaps, definitely doesn’t prevent.

2. This has nothing to do with long range combat, it has to do with the power of the weapons in question (or, rather, the health of vehicles).

3. This depends entirely on map design.

4. This is the same point as #1.

5. Because the DMR had the same stats with longer range as an added bonus. And it was nerfed. And now its worse at medium range than the BR. Again, one example does not explain the entire system.

I think the game being centered around close and mid ranged wepaons would be the best. The dmr worked much better in Reach because the game was centered around it and the Needle Rifle, which can perform nearly the same at med-long ranges…

problem imo was that we had too many differing precision rifles that you could start with in 4. Halo usually focuses on 2…it keeps things less random, more simple and usually less campy. Reach became a little campy with its ranges, but everyone could start with the same weapon, so it kind of counteracted it. I think all btb maps would have flowed better without dmr and LR in Halo 4…