Cliffhanger Ending!!

Halo Ce, Halo 2, and Halo 3 had really annoying but very anticipating cliffhangers.

The halo 2 cliffhanger was so cheesey but awesome at the same time.

Halo 4 just left us very unsure of what is to come, but we have no real direction as to where 343i is taking the story.

The teaser trailer is just a teaser so it can mean actually nothing.

I want a nice cliffhanger at the end oh Halo 5/XB1.

If by “cliffhanger”, you mean a good conclusion with room for a continuation, then yes.

> Halo Ce, Halo 2, and Halo 3 had really annoying but very anticipating cliffhangers.
>
> <mark>The halo 2 cliffhanger was so cheesey but awesome at the same time.</mark>
>
> Halo 4 just left us very unsure of what is to come, but we have no real direction as to where 343i is taking the story.
>
> The teaser trailer is just a teaser so it can mean actually nothing.
>
> I want a nice cliffhanger at the end oh Halo 5/XB1.

Halo 2 having a decent cliffhanger…no.

> > Halo Ce, Halo 2, and Halo 3 had really annoying but very anticipating cliffhangers.
> >
> > <mark>The halo 2 cliffhanger was so cheesey but awesome at the same time.</mark>
> >
> > Halo 4 just left us very unsure of what is to come, but we have no real direction as to where 343i is taking the story.
> >
> > The teaser trailer is just a teaser so it can mean actually nothing.
> >
> > I want a nice cliffhanger at the end oh Halo 5/XB1.
>
> Halo 2 having a decent cliffhanger…no.

It left so much anticipation and hype. What does Halo 4’s ending leave us? Very little hype IMO.

> It left so much anticipation and hype. What does Halo 4’s ending leave us? Very little hype IMO.

Didact’s speech? No?

Anyway, Halo 2 was leading up to the finale of the original trilogy. Of course it had hype. I garuntee Halo 5’s ending will be pretty suspenseful too. Still, the Halo 2 ending was like-

“Nice one-liner Chief! :slight_smile: Ok, let’s do this! … Wait, where’s the next mission? … Are those CREDITS?! Oh come on…”

> It left so much anticipation and hype.

Like what?

> What does Halo 4’s ending leave us? Very little hype IMO.

Just one of the best speeches given by an antagonist in the history of modern gaming.

> > It left so much anticipation and hype. What does Halo 4’s ending leave us? Very little hype IMO.
>
> Didact’s speech? No?
>
> Anyway, Halo 2 was leading up to the finale of the original trilogy. Of course it had hype. I garuntee Halo 5’s ending will be pretty suspenseful too. Still, the Halo 2 ending was like-
>
> “Nice one-liner Chief! :slight_smile: Ok, let’s do this! … Wait, where’s the next mission? … Are those CREDITS?! Oh come on…”

The events of Halo Uprising could’ve been the last mission. I would’ve accepted that.

> > It left so much anticipation and hype.
>
> Like what?
>
>
>
> > What does Halo 4’s ending leave us? Very little hype IMO.
>
> Just one of the best speeches given by an antagonist in the history of modern gaming.

I wouldn’t say his speech was the best on any levels. I’m sure most people ignored it and played it off.

Halo 2’s ending did cut off at the most appropriate of times. Bungie planned for it to end on Earth with MC but that would probably of ended with the Flood landing on Earth with Halo starting off as a we’ve been hiding for for along time speech or Halo 2 would of ended with MC at a base and with Truths ship in sight than MC saying one of the most famous lines in gaming history which has been quoted in many parodies even SRIV.

You might see Halo 2’s ending as a WTF but to there are many who see it as the perfect cliffhanger.

Everything close to being lost,forging uneasy allegiances, learning new info about this mysterious Forerunner structure capable of activating EVERY HALO RING with a flip of a button,The Flood is loose and Master Chief unarmed in the most powerful ship the Covenant has leaving Cortana behind with The Gravemind.

Halo 5 has alot to live up to compared to Halo 2 and since the steaks aren’t really as high because before we had the threat of Truth killing all life in our galaxy. 343i said the whole universe will be at steak now and Didact didn’t do much besides wipe out a city’s population. I know that is still a big thing but when he was firing the Composer I felt like he just fired the Death Star.

My heart sank, I felt like i failed all those people on Earth, Lasky helping was in vein, The Didact, Cortana exploded and all MC had left was vengeance.

but alot of that was taken away when Cortana is somewhat alive, than MC technically kills her, Didact fate left unknown, only a city was wiped out and Lasky in Spartan Ops didn’t seem to give half a damn neither did anyone else. It would of been nice to be in Spartan Ops and hear someone say

“For New Phoenix!” after killing a Covey or Promethean.

343i needs to drive a fell for the dramatic and make the Forerunners alot more powerful, before in the trilogy the Forerunners power was not much since the Sentinels were more like groundskeepers than warbots so it made sense that the mighty empire wasn’t destroying us all. Counting the Sentinel Enforcers from Halo 2 is another thing to add on that this was one of the weaker things that the Forerunners left behind just to keep the peace. So i was very surprised to see Prometehans were the Forerunners most elite soldiers and weren’t really that hard to fight, but i’m rambling on.

Also is Spartan Assault really coming to the 360. I have an ad for it on my dashboard but i fell like it is misleading.

I think the issue here is that Bungie’s Halo and 343i’s Halo have two different themes. Bungie’s was all about human survival against all odds while 343i is all about humanity finding its place in the galaxy and remnants from the past being obstacles. It just fits with the narrative they spun in their new books.

h1’s ending wasn’t so much cliffhanger, but rather just leaving the door open for more story.

Honestly I felt like chief spent all of halo 2 chasing things. At least he got Regret halfway through, then it went back to chasing.

His story doesn’t really properly resolve in h2, while the arbiter’s works pretty much on its own.

H3’s was definitely nice, cause despite the war seemingly being over, there was still more mysteries out in the universe.

I think 4’s ending is meant to be more like halo 1’s. There was a story that started and ended, and it left the door open for more to come. Though I think its relying on a lot of hype from the novels, hype which also left h4’s plot a bit disappointing in scope.

> h1’s ending wasn’t so much cliffhanger, but rather just leaving the door open for more story.
>
> Honestly I felt like chief spent all of halo 2 chasing things. At least he got Regret halfway through, then it went back to chasing.
>
> His story doesn’t really properly resolve in h2, while the arbiter’s works pretty much on its own.
>
> H3’s was definitely nice, cause despite the war seemingly being over, there was still more mysteries out in the universe.
>
> I think 4’s ending is meant to be more like halo 1’s. There was a story that started and ended, and <mark>it left the door open for more to come</mark>. Though I think its relying on a lot of hype from the novels, hype which also left h4’s plot a bit disappointing in scope.

I agree with that, Halo 4 has left a massive door open. But still there is no/little hype.

The next Halo will still sell good i imagine, but it seems like the story is getting weaker and less full on.

You mean the ending where the washed up soldier who has far outlived his usefulness, goes on one final suicide run instead of a well deserved retirement, self detonates a nuclear warhead at point blank range, then returns to the barracks with little more than a broken heart because his online girlfriend finally reached her conclusion as the vocal objective, because its much more cost effective to just use text prompts?

Ah… no.
Maybe a suspenseful ending, of course, but not a Halo 2 style “Psyche! Cliffhanger” one.

As far as cliffhangers go, it was beautiful. Cliffhangers in general…

My problem with them is length, for one thing. A TV series is fine, you just get hyped up and are free to let your heart out the next Monday. In terms of games, you have 2 to 3 years. You’re hyped at first, then it either declines or you start doing some major over hyping to the point you’re disappointed.
If it declines then you go back to what you currently have, and the ending is no longer a cool cliffhanger, but instead an annoying barricade to the satisfying end you feel you deserve.

Another thing is that it potentially streamlines the future sorry into one direction. Halo 2, you knew exactly what was going to happen for Halo 3. You’re on Earth, and Truth is here this time. Coming into Halo 2, you had no idea what to expect. Combat Evolved wasn’t a cliffhanger. It finished is story and left it open for addition… Where Halo 2 did not. Halo 2 abruptly ended straight in the middle of it, and people had to wait 3 years and buy a new console to see it finished.

Finish the story presented in the game itself. There is indeed an overall story to follow, but use it as a guide rather than an excuse. Allow the events of each game to fold in and transition at the viewer’s mind, rather than forcing it through a corner. Leave the endings rather open. The overall sorry can go one way… but how we get there first remains a mystery.