Clearing up some stuff about the grunts

-Having a “soft” exoskeleton like a caterpillar would mean they wouldn’t be able to have arms or legs, let alone wear armor or carry a gun, as a “soft” exoskeleton would not provide the support necessary since it would be to soft and according to the model, skin like. Remember, a skeleton is what holds the body together and operates as a frame, clearly something the size of a grunt could not be supported by caterpillar skin.

-As much as you say its just a game it still has a story that a lot of people follow, with a plethora of books carefully detailing its backstory 343i has no excuse to mess up, the consistency of Halo is serious business.

-The Halo 1 and 2 models were too low-res to make a definite conclusion about their anatomy, Halo 3 and Reach on the other hand were not and they are most recent therefore holding precedence over previous models.

-The new model is indeed a change of skin/body type and either 343 can explain this change or correct it, otherwise this will frustrate many fans of the story something I do not think 343 is aiming for.

And those are the facts.

cool story bro, tell it again.

πλα

Well there is debate going on and I thought I’d sum it up, so there wouldn’t have to be a debate. Its not like I’m stating the obvious, or if I am clearly some people aren’t seeing it. If that’s all you have to say I’ll just assume you agree.

To begin, I think this should have been posted in one of the existing grunt debate topics, but that’s me.

> -The Halo 1 and 2 models were too low-res to make a definite conclusion about their anatomy, Halo 3 and Reach on the other hand were not and they are most recent therefore holding precedence over previous models.

I will have to add, even in Halo 1 and 2, there was clearly a rigid, exoskeletal structure to the grunts. Google the images, you can see the rough exoskeleton and soft, fleshy areas at the joints, much like Crabs and other Arthropods.

So your say a mixture of both soft and hard exoskeletons can’t exist? there is obvious and exoskeleton on his forearms and calves even on the shoulders could there be a mixture of harder more durable scaly exoskeleton on those location and a softer more flexible exoskeleton on other parts?

> So your say a mixture of both soft and hard exoskeletons can’t exist? there is obvious and exoskeleton on his forearms and calves even on the shoulders could there be a mixture of harder more durable scaly exoskeleton on those location and a softer more flexible exoskeleton on other parts?

That wouldn’t work unless The grunts actually have skeletons.

It’s a little upsetting seeing something as classic as the Grunt change. That’s understandable.

At the same time though, it’s exciting. Look at what it has become. It’s so cool.

I’ve never considered the exoskeleton being soft like one of a caterpillar, nice observation! This would help explain a lot of the artistic liberties without making any major changes to what Grunts are.

> > So your say a mixture of both soft and hard exoskeletons can’t exist? there is obvious and exoskeleton on his forearms and calves even on the shoulders could there be a mixture of harder more durable scaly exoskeleton on those location and a softer more flexible exoskeleton on other parts?
>
> That wouldn’t work unless The grunts actually have skeletons.

who says they dont have both and dont say because they’re arthropods because in order to Scientifically classified as arthropod they need multiple other aspect which grunts do no possess

I guess I don’t care.

The new grunts are just as not real as the old ones, and 343 isn’t taking anything away from me by changing the aesthetic, or even wholesale retconning the species.

I read the books. I played the games. They exist in my memory. Changing the NOW can’t change the THEN to me.

That’s like saying a guy in a white van used time travel to -Yoink!- you. That’s impossible, and I’m twenty, so the dude can’t -Yoink!- me NOW.

We don’t own the universe, so if they want to take artistic liberties, then it’s fine with me. Besides, for all I know, that could very well be an exoskeleton. I can’t feel it.

And why is there ANOTHER thread on this? There’s already a bigger one.

> > > So your say a mixture of both soft and hard exoskeletons can’t exist? there is obvious and exoskeleton on his forearms and calves even on the shoulders could there be a mixture of harder more durable scaly exoskeleton on those location and a softer more flexible exoskeleton on other parts?
> >
> > That wouldn’t work unless The grunts actually have skeletons.
>
> who says they dont have both and dont say because they’re arthropods because in order to Scientifically classified as arthropod they need multiple other aspect which grunts do no possess

What exactly do Grunts lack to be classified as arthropods?

My main issue is still that grunts have always had a hard exoskeleton much like crabs. Halo 1 is debatable, but since Halo 2, they have always featured an exoskeletal shell.

> > > > So your say a mixture of both soft and hard exoskeletons can’t exist? there is obvious and exoskeleton on his forearms and calves even on the shoulders could there be a mixture of harder more durable scaly exoskeleton on those location and a softer more flexible exoskeleton on other parts?
> > >
> > > That wouldn’t work unless The grunts actually have skeletons.
> >
> > who says they dont have both and dont say because they’re arthropods because in order to Scientifically classified as arthropod they need multiple other aspect which grunts do no possess
>
> What exactly do Grunts lack to be classified as arthropods?
>
> My main issue is still that grunts have always had a hard exoskeleton much like crabs. Halo 1 is debatable, but since Halo 2, they have always featured an exoskeletal shell.

Halo two photos look almost exactly like halo 4 grunts and i still find the halo 4 grunt have an exoskeletal shell

> > > > > So your say a mixture of both soft and hard exoskeletons can’t exist? there is obvious and exoskeleton on his forearms and calves even on the shoulders could there be a mixture of harder more durable scaly exoskeleton on those location and a softer more flexible exoskeleton on other parts?
> > > >
> > > > That wouldn’t work unless The grunts actually have skeletons.
> > >
> > > who says they dont have both and dont say because they’re arthropods because in order to Scientifically classified as arthropod they need multiple other aspect which grunts do no possess
> >
> > What exactly do Grunts lack to be classified as arthropods?
> >
> > My main issue is still that grunts have always had a hard exoskeleton much like crabs. Halo 1 is debatable, but since Halo 2, they have always featured an exoskeletal shell.
>
> Halo two photos look almost exactly like halo 4 grunts and i still find the halo 4 grunt have an exoskeletal shell

Take a look. Closely.

We see the hard, greyish exoskeleton. Now look around the joints. We see a more purple colored area. This is a soft, fleshy area, not dissimilar to the joints on crabs.

Even still, Halo 3 and beyond have established grunts has having rough, exoskeletons, not what’s seen on the Halo 4 grunts. Their skill looks more like that of a Sea Turtle.

> I’ve never considered the exoskeleton being soft like one of a caterpillar, nice observation! This would help explain a lot of the artistic liberties without making any major changes to what Grunts are.

Did you not even read the OP?

> > I’ve never considered the exoskeleton being soft like one of a caterpillar, nice observation! This would help explain a lot of the artistic liberties without making any major changes to what Grunts are.
>
> Did you not even read the OP?

Oops, yeah I did, but I completely misread it. My bad! Forget what I said.

> > > > > > So your say a mixture of both soft and hard exoskeletons can’t exist? there is obvious and exoskeleton on his forearms and calves even on the shoulders could there be a mixture of harder more durable scaly exoskeleton on those location and a softer more flexible exoskeleton on other parts?
> > > > >
> > > > > That wouldn’t work unless The grunts actually have skeletons.
> > > >
> > > > who says they dont have both and dont say because they’re arthropods because in order to Scientifically classified as arthropod they need multiple other aspect which grunts do no possess
> > >
> > > What exactly do Grunts lack to be classified as arthropods?
> > >
> > > My main issue is still that grunts have always had a hard exoskeleton much like crabs. Halo 1 is debatable, but since Halo 2, they have always featured an exoskeletal shell.
> >
> > Halo two photos look almost exactly like halo 4 grunts and i still find the halo 4 grunt have an exoskeletal shell
>
> Take a look. Closely.
>
> We see the hard, greyish exoskeleton. Now look around the joints. We see a more purple colored area. This is a soft, fleshy area, not dissimilar to the joints on crabs.
>
> Even still, Halo 3 and beyond have established grunts has having rough, exoskeletons, not what’s seen on the Halo 4 grunts. Their skill looks more like that of a Sea Turtle.

But even now the Joint look to be a differen color and could very well be soft in those areas IMPO i feel as thought the halo 4 grunt could in fact have an exoskeleton

Which techincally have exoskeletons while not being arthropods Just saying