Clay Master Chief

I made this clay Master Chief! The armor is the Infinite version. It’s made from oven baked Sculpey clay. I made his right hand clenched like it is around the chip in the trailer. You can tell I’m very excited for Infinite! :smiley:

Clay Master Chief

Nice work op thanks for sharing. Sculpey can be very difficult to work with due to how much you have to work it. How long do you work on this piece before tossing him in the oven?

Thank you! And I’d love Sculpey tips. I just started to work with clay so I’d love any suggestions :smiley: this probably took me a few hours, maybe about 6 or possibly more, but it was spread over about a week of coming back to it in the evenings

Well I started around that size for my first piece as well (it was 2 foxes and my wife used it for a wedding cake topper). As I have continued to work with it over the last few years I have found that smaller is the best way to start. I kept a block or 2 in my desk (I’m a teacher) and would make eraser sized things on my break from time to time. I also let my students use it… But I have digressed. Starting small is great because you have much less sculpey to work soft and it forces you to work on your fine detail skills. I made another bigger piece last year and and was super pleased with it due to the level of detail and due to the fact that I used more real world reference (it was an octopus and I watched clips of movement and used photos for inspiration). I mean the key is practice and detail but I would also say that finding movement in an object is important for example check out the implied movement in this new master Chief toy that I totally need in my life. Too much money but I need it.

Edit: have you baked that piece yet or no? I’m assuming you have as you already painted it but just curious.

> 2533274862926994;4:
> Edit: have you baked that piece yet or no? I’m assuming you have as you already painted it but just curious.

I think I’m slowly learning to start small lol. I just did a keychain sized Guilty Spark and it turned out alright. I definitely need more practice, but I’m having a lot of fun with it!
And I saw that toy and I would love to get it! I just don’t know if I could justify that much especially since we just got a lot of Halo merch from Outpost Discovery lol.
I did bake it already, I wasn’t sure how much to do and I think I might have gone a little over because it slightly cracked. This was actually my second attempt at Chief, the first one was just… Hilarious. I ended up giving it to my son. I think I will try again after a few more little things until it’s more what I am imagining.

> 2535461885974839;5:
> > 2533274862926994;4:
> > Who cares what Zoidberg wrote.
>
> I think I’m slowly learning to start small lol. I just did a keychain sized Guilty Spark and it turned out alright. I definitely need more practice, but I’m having a lot of fun with it!
> And I saw that toy and I would love to get it! I just don’t know if I could justify that much especially since we just got a lot of Halo merch from Outpost Discovery lol.
> I did bake it already, I wasn’t sure how much to do and I think I might have gone a little over because it slightly cracked. This was actually my second attempt at Chief, the first one was just… Hilarious. I ended up giving it to my son. I think I will try again after a few more little things until it’s more what I am imagining.

Would love to see your guilty spark. I love it when we get to see others Halo art. I have a piece I have stalled on and really need to get back to but have been too ill this year (it’s not sculpey). Also I gotta ask cause I’m super jealous how was Outpost and what kind of merch did they have?

Oh I would love to hear what you think of my little Guilty Spark! Here he is ! Clay Guilty Spark
And as for Outpost, I personally really loved it! I had such a great experience, we had the VIP for one day, so we got an extra hour before and after, and we got a lot accomplished in that time. My favorite thing was the Ring experience, closely followed by the VR Halo play. Once general admission came in the lines were very long, but I had read that ahead of time so I was prepared for it. The most amazing thing was that we got to meet Jen and Steve and got their signatures!
The merch was awesome, they had t-shirts, sweaters, Chief helmets you can wear, pins like a Chief, pelican, Warthog, they also had Chief plushies, a legit energy sword and things like that.

Oh nice I really like your paint job on spark!
You have made me want to get back into my clay And makes something… Maybe a gravemind…

That’s awesome you got to meet both Master Chief and Cortana. It’s always a blast to get to see your Halo heroes. I got lucky enough in 2013 to meet a few of mine at a con. Good times. Anyhow sounds like you had a great time…
Ok two final questions:
What was the ring experience?
And
In what way was the energy sword legit?

Oo I’d love to see your Gravemind if you decide to do it! That would be really cool.
And the Ring experience was this kind of guided tour through three rooms, the last room was a domed room with a projector on the ceiling where they played a really cool video where you can like fly through the Ring. the floor moved so it felt like you were actually moving through it. The first two rooms had models of things, like there was a Sentinel which are surprisingly huge, Guilty Spark, and a Flood infection form.
And I didn’t end up getting a sword, but I saw a lot of people with them and they were good-sized, they lit up, and they seemed really quality made! I also looked at the needlers which also looked really awesome but we had flown there and only brought Carry ons, so we were pushing our luck with the stuff we got lol

That looks pretty cool :smiley:

> 2535413077846870;10:
> That looks pretty cool :smiley:

Thank you so much! :smiley:

> 2535461885974839;11:
> > 2535413077846870;10:
> > That looks pretty cool :smiley:
>
> Thank you so much! :smiley:

no probs my pleasure ^^

Really well done! There’s a lot of fine detail work in there too. Will you be making any other characters soon as well? If so, I hope you share them.

> 2533274929989333;13:
> Really well done! There’s a lot of fine detail work in there too. Will you be making any other characters soon as well? If so, I hope you share them.

Thank you so much ! And I was recently thinking of doing something from the Ring Experience at Halo Outpost :slight_smile: They had a rotating section of the ring which I thought might be cool as a small clay model. They also had a full size model of a Flood infection form which I was thinking would be an interesting challenge!

Haha, that looks sick!

> 2535451619508281;15:
> Haha, that looks sick!

Thank you so much! I really appreciate that :smiley: